Getting an Irons fitting

Maric

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I'm so happy with the way my new Callaway Rogue is working out. It's time to dig deeper into the bag and replace the irons. My current set is Ladies Tour Edge Reaction 3. I have a little extra money and think that it might be time to upgrade. What do you recommend that I consider. High handicap, low launch and low swing speed.

Consider everything! Lots of good options out there, I’m sure more people will have better thoughts, but don’t limit yourself.

Go into the fitting with an open mind.

What kind of swing speed are we talking about? How far do you hit your longest iron and what iron is it?

What is your Hcp? Not sure what "high" means to some folks.

I know it sounds prejudiced, but the Rogue Women’s irons may be a good fit. They have more loft than the X, designed to aid in launch, and an ultralight shaft. I’d also look at the Cobra FMax. But please keep an open mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know it sounds prejudiced, but the Rogue Women’s irons may be a good fit. They have more loft than the X, designed to aid in launch, and an ultralight shaft. I’d also look at the Cobra FMax. But please keep an open mind.

The Rogues look good too. I don't think there's a bad set out there...it's just down to getting fitted IMO.

6I is my longest - 90 to 100 yds. Swing speed is about 70 and handicap is 40.

I'm so happy with the way my new Callaway Rogue is working out. It's time to dig deeper into the bag and replace the irons. My current set is Ladies Tour Edge Reaction 3. I have a little extra money and think that it might be time to upgrade. What do you recommend that I consider. High handicap, low launch and low swing speed.

We could give you all the recommendations in the world, Maric, but your fitting is going to tell you 1000 times more than we ever could. They'll get you into the right set. If you have a budget in mind, let your fitter know. He/she should be able to get you into a great set for your skill level and swing. Congrats and good luck!

6I is my longest - 90 to 100 yds. Swing speed is about 70 and handicap is 40.

Go into a fitting with an open mind and let a professional do his job. You just might be surprised at his recommendations!

What do you recommend that I consider. High handicap, low launch and low swing speed.

I’d recommend you also consider why you want new irons and what you want to achieve. Distance? Height? Ease of launch? All three? Having an idea of what I wanted and where my current set wasn’t meeting my wants helped the fitter get me hitting more of what fit and less of what didn’t. Other than that, let the professional do his job but don’t be afraid to give him feedback about what you like or don’t like.

Honesty...I would get lessons to short-cut the process...then buy clubs.

I currently attend clinics about twice a week. The fitter is a coach that I worked with last year and will work with again this summer when it is too hot and humid for outdoor lessons. I chose him because he knows my swing and issues. He also did the fitting on my driver and I am getting great results with that.

Sounds like your fitter will probably have a good idea of what will suit your game already - keep an open mind, but not necessarily an open wallet hahaha.

And have fun! That sounds like a blast to try out all the different combinations!

It was an incredible fitting. After getting some numbers from my own 7 iron. I worked my way through Ping G700, Callaway Rogue, TaylorMade M4 and MCGB and then the Ping G LE hybrid. The Pings went down fast. They weren't for me. I hit them low and the distance sucked. Couldn't hit them straight either.

The Rogues when down in the next round. This surprised both my fitter and me since my Rogue driver was a perfect fit. Again there was little loft and distance compared to the others. Both of the TaylorMade clubs were a big improvement over my regular iron. We put impact labels on the remaining clubs and hit them again. I hit them both well but the M4 was the clear winner. The impact marks were low so I tried a club head with a 2 degree lie adjustment. Smash - 4 long and straight hits in a row. We have a winner!!!!!

We then talked about the rest of my bag. I've never been happy with my 3 wood or 5 hybrid both are part of the original Tour Edge Ladies set. Compared to my Rogue driver they seem clunky.

I decided since I had the money available we might as well go ahead and see what would be available to round out the bag. Again we started with a wide field and worked to narrow it down.
The end result was a Rogue 5 wood and 4,5,6 TaylorMade M4 Hybrids. I took the new wood and the hybrids with me, but the irons are a special order and will be here in 8-10 business days. All the shafts are the Ladies standard that come with the clubs.

My wallet is considerably lighter, but I now have a full bag that I have confidence in. If the weather holds I'll get to try them at the range tomorrow.

Forgot to mention the irons are 7,8,9 PW, AW and SW

Last edited:
Sounds like mission accomplished. A few brands and models stuck out to you but no big deal. Play what works. Something I wish I would’ve learned before getting matching sets just to match. Now for the longest 8-10 weeks of your life.

Fantastic setup Maric. The early reviews on the M4 irons are that they are a fun, high launching set. Congrats on the fitting

Took the 5 wood and the hybrids out for a spin on the range. They performed even better on the range. After a couple of warm up shots with my 7 iron I started to run through the new clubs with and without tees. There were a few shots where I rose up or didn't follow through or messed up my tempo, but almost all of the others were straight and true. Higher loft and better distance than I am used to. Even my misses would have been playable. If the weather co-operates I'll play 9 holes tomorrow. Now I can't wait get my new irons.

Took the 5 wood and the hybrids out for a spin on the range. They performed even better on the range. After a couple of warm up shots with my 7 iron I started to run through the new clubs with and without tees. There were a few shots where I rose up or didn't follow through or messed up my tempo, but almost all of the others were straight and true. Higher loft and better distance than I am used to. Even my misses would have been playable. If the weather co-operates I'll play 9 holes tomorrow. Now I can't wait get my new irons.

Congrats, Maric. Glad to hear that you found something that, not only works but, instills confidence (such an important factor in playing this game).

Back