Getting Fit For Your Misses in Golf

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
These are questions that comes up all of the time. Who should get fit? Are you not good enough to see the benefits of club fitting? If you have a miss that pops up all of the time like a slice or hitting it thin, can that be helped with a fitting?

We went to the founder of Club Champion and Dean of CC University to discuss these in detail and get your answers.

Good explanation of the reasons everyone should have a fitting.

Ah thought this was about the ladies getting fit. What was interesting on my driver fitting, I adjusted things in my swing to offset my usual miss, and during the fitting I had the exact opposite.. big high fade turned into a low snap hook, from an overcompensating and taking the too far inside on the takeaway.

Fitting for misses sounds good, but I also need to get rid of my swing flaws.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Another excellent installment in this series

I’ve really enjoyed this series with Club Champion, tons of interesting stuff in there. Most are factors people don’t really think about when they’re choosing equipment. Really good stuff here!

I sure wish there was one closer to me!! Great advice!

Another excellent installment in this series

Agree. Really like these videos. Getting properly fit is one of my goals this season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really enjoyed this one. Some good stuff here on the thought process.

I feel smarter every time I hear him talk, especially on fitting, a one on one fitting with him would be amazing and eye opening for sure!

This is helpful since I was considering doing one at Club Champion soon. That entire process should be enlightening.

I’ve really enjoyed this series with Club Champion, tons of interesting stuff in there. Most are factors people don’t really think about when they’re choosing equipment. Really good stuff here!

Thanks, me too. Having been fit by Nick and gained quite a bit of knowledge from him, collaborating with Club Champion has really been a lot of fun.

Just sent my dad over to CC today for a putter fitting. Was glad their SAM system was able to show/convince him that I wasn't exaggerating about how bad his putting stroke looks.

Great series of videos and explanations. I look forward to getting that done one day.

one thought, rattles off a ton of potential fixes. That's awesome. I'm also a huge believer in a shaft dictating a lot about the shape and flight of a ball.

I talked one of my buddy's females into buying him a full fitting at the Indy location on the 25th. Heading over with him to watch ti all unfold and I am SO excited to see the process.

I'm sure some people will disagree with me, but I don't think some misses can be "fit for". Sure you can fit for a toe hit or a heel strike, but I don't think you can really "fit" for a fat or thin. I mean, if you're not even hitting the ball first, you're gonna have to fix that before you worry about fitting your clubs and if you're hitting them so thin you're hitting your PW the distance you should be hitting a 4i, then there are other issues, too. Sure there are extremes that need to be addressed, but I'm starting here with the assumption that no one is playing with club too far from what they need. If an 8 year old is playing with Tiger's clubs, then we have issues that need to be addressed there, for sure.

I think the thing that I was turned off by most of the time when I have been fit is that the fitter seems to dial in on the best shot(s) and claim that's the shaft for me when I think it's more advantageous to find the shaft that gives acceptable results most often instead of the shaft that gives the best one-time result.

As I've said before, maybe I'm weird. Apparently, my game is backward from everyone else's.

Nice video! Super pumped for my iron fitting this Monday! Help me get off the toe miss and be in the proper shaft!!

I'm sure some people will disagree with me, but I don't think some misses can be "fit for". Sure you can fit for a toe hit or a heel strike, but I don't think you can really "fit" for a fat or thin.

Guessing you didn't watch the video?
That was actually the first thing Nick addresses.

Guessing you didn't watch the video?
That was actually the first thing Nick addresses.

I'm guessing you didn't read my first sentence or the last two from the first paragraph. I still love you though.

I'm guessing you didn't read my first sentence or the last two from the first paragraph. I still love you though.

Your first paragraph says people will disagree, it says nothing about not watching the video, which is the entire topic here.

It’s fine to disagree, albeit odd to disagree without even watching the content with the expert addressing it.

Your first paragraph says people will disagree, it says nothing about not watching the video, which is the entire topic here.

It’s fine to disagree, albeit odd to disagree without even watching the content with the expert addressing it.
The first sentence says I know people will disagree, but the whole paragraph doesn't stay on that topic. That was just my way of intro'ing my point of view. The last 2 sentences actually agreed with his POV although not eye to eye.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Getting Fit For Your Misses in Golf

I was hoping he’d mention length of shaft among the potential issues out there. Him including that seemed like a bit of validation. While I have been too much out to in recent years, the longer shaft length seemed to accentuate that move for me. I put in a heavier and stouter shaft, but cut down and it took the extreme rights completely out of play.

Would love to have that kind of fitting; God knows what other equipment misfits I have going on in my setup.

I was hoping he’d mention length of shaft among the potential issues out there. Him including that seemed like a bit of validation. While I have been too much out to in recent years, the longer shaft length seemed to accentuate that move for me. I put in a heavier and stouter shaft, but cut down and it took the extreme rights completely out of play.

Would love to have that kind of fitting; God knows what other equipment misfits I have going on in my setup.

Wait! You went shorter, stiffer, AND heavier and it fit better?

For the past 20 years offering/selling dynamic fit services has become more popular, and along the way I've routinely asked fitters if (by fitting equipment to a faulty swing) they're not actually promoting swing faults?
Each and every fitter has given me the same reply, that is "we're trying to help the player get the best shots from his/her swing".
When I ask again if that philosophy might actually ingrain/promote swing faults they reply "it's not our business to give swing technique instruction, and most consumers don't want that, they want to get better shot results from their own swing (even if the swing is not good).
20 years ago, when I noticed dynamic fitting was becoming increasingly popular, I thought this was a disservice, counter productive for most players. I still believe that is true today.
If a player wants to hit significantly better shots then a static fitting (which uses as criteria only a players physique) sets him up well to learn to make fundamentally sound swings and strike very good golf shots.
If a player is not interested in taking lessons, and, or, somehow learning/practicing improved technique, but prefers to go with his own swing (including its faults) then I agree getting dynamically fit might offer a little bit of help to some shots.
So in summary I think the question of whether to "get fit or not" should include the player's goals. If he/she would like to become an excellent player then static fit, plus hundreds of hours of learning/practicing is a good sense strategy. If he/she does not have the inclination or time to try to become an excellent player, then buying a dynamic fit will probably be a fun experience and may also reveal some club specs that can help shots a little bit.

Last edited:
Check out my dispersion for my fitting last week lol as I said before, overcompensating for my miss and I get the opposite

Hope others have a better fitting performance than I did haha
f2ec5d13eb82b49496215d98b1e2332f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Wait! You went shorter, stiffer, AND heavier and it fit better?

Lost a little distance, but dispersion went way down. Shot shape became more consistent. My driver was over 45.75”... no bueno for me.

Is that a surprise that the fit was better?

Back