U_of_Bucky

Reaction score
Handicap
Today I played a shot cutting the corner of a 90 dogleg. I am 250 yards out preparing for my second shot of the par 5 when I hear a golf ball hitting some trees behind me. I see the single at the tee is now driving a cart. I am a walking single. So I shrug it off. He did not see me. Now I am on the green and am picking up my holed out ball. The guy behind me drives up to the front greenside trap where his ball lays. 15 yards away from me. He hit into that bunker when I was putting!

As I walk off the green he is about to swing his sand wedge without letting me clear the green. I stopped him vocally and glared at him. He stops and I continue to glare as I walk to the next tee. I am not going to let him swing when my back was to him! I wait at the next tee as I want him in front not behind me. He asks if he can play through. I say yes, but I do not enjoy getting hit into. His comment is he has been playing for many years and he did not put me in danger. I reply, as a "courtesy" I will let him through. He replies it's his "privilege" to play though and I should have stepped aside after my drive because he was a riding single!

Ok. its either get into a shouting match ruining my next 16 holes or let the son of a b*tch go. I let him go. Watching him drive his cart onto the front aprons of the next two greens (this guy has no physical disabilities, just the one between his ears) I report him to the maintenance staff.

What makes me the most frosted is his disregard for his skill level. I am guessing a 20 plus handicap. Watching him fat the next two shots as he plays though I think maybe he is harmless! Then he bladed an approach shot that got about head high and was screaming. That would have hurt if he hit that coming out of the greenside bunker.

I have been hit into without regard three times. Once an in high school match by a very inexperienced golfer. And now twice 40 yeas later!

Thanks for letting me blow off so steam!

Well that guy sounds like a real piece of work!

That guy sounds like what we could call in Scotland, a fud....

Oh man, what an id10t. People simply have no respect (and lack brains) - sad and frustrating too. (n)

Sounds like that guy was a tool.

What a disrespectful arragant person. A real Turd Ferguson... Forget about it and enjoy the game.

You did the right thing. No reason wasting breath on an idiot IMO. The quicker you let them pass by, the quicker they are out of your life.

This thread made me review the status of a single and I'm disappointed to learn that the rules of etiquette now recognize a single player as a group.

Sure, it's a richard move to leave a single behind a foursome with several holes open in front but it's also a richard move to show up as a single on a busy day and expect to play through multiple groups.

The longer one plays the game of golf, the more they will realize just how many arrogant, pompous attitudes are also playing the game. These people make up a small percentage of all golfers, but they are out there.

Hitting balls towards other golfers, who are in plain sight, and reachable, is just plain ignorant. No golfer is that good, to gurantee they will miss those players in front of them.

I let people play through all the time if they are playing faster than me. Its a part of golf's ettiquett for me. I want them in front of me to avoid getting hit with a ball. I have been hit by a ball. It's no fun.

Obviously there will be times when golfers are in reachable distances, but hidden from the view of the hitter. Those situations should only happen once.

He sounds like a jerk. There is no "right" to play through because you're riding, and I agree with you that someone like him should be in front of you, not behind!

Annoying you had to deal with that ****! He’s better ahead of you than behind since you’ll always think about it before each shot. Hats off for not taking it further, he ain’t worth your time :cool:

I would of told him he could play thru then taken the keys out of his cart (maybe even fake throw them into the trees). But I'm an ***hole.

I would have picked up his ball out of the trap and made him come ask for it.
I've done that before and it usually makes my point and they never have come and asked for it.

Reminds me of when I was told as a single "I had no standing" on the course, but you were both singles and he was a jerk. It would have taken all my self control not to hit at him as he played through, but you did the right thing and the management of the course should have taken care of it. These days, you have no idea who has a weapon concealed.

My wife and I had a similar situation a few years ago. We were about to pitch up onto the green on 18 and when she was at address a ball rolled past her. We finished the hole and waited for him to come off the green and I asked him what he was thinking by doing that on the last hole, waiting 3 minutes wouldn't have been that big of a deal. He went on this rant about how "look at that staff bag, I know my distances, a rolling ball won't hurt anyone". There was no convincing him otherwise, so I let it go and just made mention of the incident to one of the guys that work in the pro shop. In the end I won, I later found out it was the lat straw the club needed and he had his membership revoked a month later. I guess we weren't the only ones...

My dad always said "there are more horse's asses than there are horses" ... that proves to be true on occasion.

On the positive side, I think those type of players are very much the minority. Good move letting him through ...

Good for you for keeping your cool, would have been hard to do. But I agree, I wouldn't want the guy behind me either.

Awesome job staying calm. I would not have. I never that egregiously been played into. I have been hit into, and I have hit into groups before. Every time the person appeared very apologetic. I know I was. I always drove up and said sorry. It was honest, I either did not see them, or misjudged the distance. I will admit to once hitting into a a group on purpose. I was young, stupid, and frustrated.

That guy sounds a prize bell end! I’d have probably flared up at him.

He sounds like a jerk. There is no "right" to play through because you're riding, and I agree with you that someone like him should be in front of you, not behind!

I disagree with this statement. I hate when I’m in a twosome and can’t play thru a foursome, especially when playing well. It’s bologna

I had something similar happen many years ago. Course was slow and we were waiting on nearly every shot and got to the 8th hole. Was a short par 4 with a wide landing area. My buddy and I were off on the right side a bit waiting for the green to clear. Where you park the cart to tee off, we would have been shielded by some trees, you would have to walk up to the far left side of the tee box to see where we were. We are just sitting there when "thud" a ball lands right next to the cart. At which point we moved to be seen and the other group didn't hit again. They apologized when they caught up to us. Was a little ticked off about it, but wasn't going to start anything. What bugged us most is that after waiting behind us for several holes, knowing we were waiting for the group in front of us as well, if you don't see us, why hit without checking? Yeah, I guess maybe they could have thought we just left the hole, but why risk it unless you know?

I don't really mind the second part of getting hit up on, on a par 5. That has happened countless times to me. Granted, it is usually within a large group and I know those behind me. If I hear a ball land and roll up on the fringe and look back, I might just think 'oh that's Mike hitting, he knows how far he can hit and if we were in danger, he would have waited'. I can see that he was about 250 out and I know he can't fly a ball that far so nothing to worry about. It is a little easier on the nerves when you know who is behind you and know they wouldn't do anything to put you in harms way. Doesn't sound like the case with this guy, but certainly not uncommon to have happen.

god thing i wasnt involved. it woulnt have been so calm

That’s disappointing to hear... but I think you did the right thing. Let him play in front and let the facility know.

I disagree with this statement. I hate when I’m in a twosome and can’t play thru a foursome, especially when playing well. It’s bologna
I agree that if there are open holes in front of the group holding you up, you should definitely be waved through, but hitting into the group isn't the way to do it, nor is just playing through as if they weren't there.
If they're jerks and don't wave you through, and you ask and they refuse, you can call the pro shop or skip a hole. I'm not sure of any other alternative short of starting an altercation.
Just my two cents.

Back