Getting new equipment

Toddo

Reaction score
Handicap
Just wanted to pose a question...

I just got a new R9 driver, but still playing older Taylor Made V-Steel fairway woods and 05 model RAC LT irons. I take care of my equipment, but am wondering if I am too far behind the times as far as technology goes.

After seeing what PGA.com offered for prices on some of my equipment, it makes me think to just keep playing what I have for at least another season.

Thoughts?

The taylormade Vsteel are still some of the best woods Ive ever swung.

Yep, the vsteel are hard to beat. The fact that a good number of non-tm sponsored tour players have them in their bag is a testament to their quality

Let me answer a question with a question...(I know I am a brat)...what are you trying to accomplish (with your swing and/or golf)?

Those RACs are quality irons from what I've seen. If they work well for you, why change?

The V steel fairway metals are still very good clubs. I changed to the burner steel fairway metals because I found them on clearance and liked the shafts on them better than my old callaway fairway metals.

I guess I feel like I am not keeping pace with some of my other golf mates. In the RAC set, I am having trouble hitting the 5 iron, have been contemplating either bending it upright or just buying a 5 hybrid.

On the V Steels, I am using the Harmon Tour Design shafts which are no longer made, I've also been contemplating updating the shafts.

I am glad though I did make the driver update, that was needed.

I don't think you have to have the latest equipment to play good golf. The OEM marketing will say you do, but I don't buy into the hype. My irons are 5/6 years old and I plan to play them another 5/6 years. My putter is 30 years old.
The bottom line has to be whether or not something new truely does help you. I bought a new driver and 3 wood late last year but only because there was something to be gained from the purchase.

If you have a VSteel 13* 3W i will take it off your hands :D

I think with the driver new Technology is far better than what was made even 5 years ago, but irons putters and even some woods, if you like them and hit them well, game them baby!

As far as fairways I wouldn't change, maybe reshaft but really how often are you hitting it and it is a quality wood. As far as irons I am going through the same thing. While I don't feel you need to change every season, it may not be a bad idea to check out some new irons. I hit the Adams CB2s and could not believe how much better they felt than my current set.

All of that equipment is still being used on the tour each week. You could play those clubs for another 2 years and not be missing out on much at all.

I have to agree with the above. I generally only change equipment when i need to.

I agree with everyone above. If you've found equipment that works for you, no need to replace it

Back