Getting ready to DIY finish an unfinished space in our house, what should I know?

We've been in our 1st home for a little over 2 years now and we're thinking its time to finish our unfinished space on the 4th floor! We've got a tall narrow house in the city with a 4th floor comprised of a rooftop patio (firepit, gril, etc.), unfinished but framed room, and our attic/utility space. Since we are working from home more, and the wife has just started her own LLC, we are thinking about building a nice office space with a little kitchenette for entertaining on the rooftop. I'm fairly handy and plan to do most of the work myself (with friends), but plan to bring in a few specialty contractors (elec, HVAC) to make sure those scopes are done properly.

So far I'm thinking my first step is going to be bringing out my HVAC guy to do the new distribution branch and move my return box. This will get that space conditioned so I can move onto demoing the interior wall. We want to open the space up, so we'll get rid of the wall that closes off the stair case and replace it with a banister/handrail. Then plan to run my own wiring and plumbing before getting a contractor to make the final connections back to the main house systems. Then obviously finish off the space properly with Drywall, trim, flooring and painting.

Having never undertaken a DIY or remodel of this scale, I'm excited but interested in what lessons learned y'all have, and what else I should know.

If you bring in the HVAC guys in first make sure you cover the return with plastic or you are going to have construction dust throughout the rest of your home. Ask me how I know this?:rolleyes:

Nice! Someone who understands why I drink. What kind of structures do you work on?

You already know that you've got to stay on your contractors. So many good ones, but so many bad ones too.
LOL yes, I spent some time working for a very large GC construction and engineering firm, so I feel a little bad for any contractor I hire. We are always very clear on Scope of Work and expectations and communicate in writing.

So my background is structural engineering but i'm now mostly in Engineering and Project Management. I've worked on a wide range of things from Overhead crane systems to deep foundations for large industrial facilities. But most of my work has been in the energy sector focused on offshore facilities, which gets to be very interesting on the structural side! Yes i feel you pain my wife is used to me getting excited about bridges on road trips now! What type of structure are your forte? Your in Cleveland? I actual went to school at Case.

If you bring in the HVAC guys in first make sure you cover the return with plastic or you are going to have construction dust throughout the rest of your home. Ask me how I know this?:rolleyes:
Now this is the kind of reminders I needed!!! Sorry about your clean up!

LOL yes, I spent some time working for a very large GC construction and engineering firm, so I feel a little bad for any contractor I hire. We are always very clear on Scope of Work and expectations and communicate in writing.

So my background is structural engineering but i'm now mostly in Engineering and Project Management. I've worked on a wide range of things from Overhead crane systems to deep foundations for large industrial facilities. But most of my work has been in the energy sector focused on offshore facilities, which gets to be very interesting on the structural side! Yes i feel you pain my wife is used to me getting excited about bridges on road trips now! What type of structure are your forte? Your in Cleveland? I actual went to school at Case.

Another Case grad! Likely I was there long before you.

I've always worked on building. I started out working on hospitals, clinics, and some government projects for a huge A/E firm when I was in Chicago (I went to IIT there). After the move to Cleveland I worked on education, some commercial residential, and a lot of retail. Now I'm at a small shop and we do a lot of everything. Investigations, retail, education, commercial, whatever the architects hire us to do.

That was going to be my 2nd thing. Personally I wouldn’t even bother with extending the current HVAC as that never works well. Get a Mini Split installed. They are amazing units.
This was going to be my suggestion. Mini split that thing all day. No reason to be miserable while working.

Before installing floor finish, walk around every SF and check for any type of noise. More people/weight the better and if someone can be on floor beneath even better. Sounds silly maybe.

Nothing worse than finding a squeaky floor afterwards.

I'm with everyone else here, Definitely look into a mini split. As you know we are redoing our basement and our HVAC is one system throughout the house and is old. I currently have two mini split's in my bedroom, son's room, and we will be putting one in our basement. Nothing like having your room be the exact temperature you want all day long. They have come a long way as well from what they used to look like. A lot better looking.

yeah the mini split in an option. I've got a contractor coming out to talk to me about the HVAC system this week so we'll see what he says.

Measure twice, cut once

wow some of you guys are real negative Nancy :ROFLMAO:

Always leave access panels at minimum for future repairs/leaks.
Sheetrock is not always your friend?
-Vil Bobba

Back