Getting Sucked Into an Auction?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Be it for golf clubs, art, cars or anything else. Ever get sucked into an auction and overbid on something in the heat of the moment?

this would be more live auction than eBay type of thing

Yes. Although to be honest the same thing tends to happen in-person or online. I am usually fine just watching once I’ve reached my limit, but occasionally when I am outbid I completely lose my head and all rational thought that would typically prevent me from continuing to bid.

No, I remember when I was a kid and overheard a guy telling his friends to bid up these antique tractors so he could make more off the sales and he’d pay them back if they got stuck with the bid. Since then it’s always been something to stick with me and once my final price is reached I’m out, they make more “stuff” everyday.

I once donated an item to a charity outing, and ended up with said item when I was the high bidder. So I paid twice...

At least it went to a good cause, but yes, I can get sucked in

Never…thank goodness.

Yeah, one time at a charity auction I overbid (I thought) at the time for an upper deck authenticated and signed LeBron James basketball. This was probably 14 years ago, forget what I payed. Maybe $200, which at the time I was just in the heat of the moment bidding against someone. Last I checked the ball was worth around 6k, so turns out it wasn’t a bad decision after all.

I've done it a depressing amount of times. I don't want to know how much I've wasted on golf equipment.

I got sucked into a bidding war on a Game Used jersey of my favorite team. I won but is was quite a bit of money at the time.

No, but have been ripped off a time or two.

Yesssssssss. Not often but it’s happened lol

Not me, but a boss I used to work for got into a bidding war at an auction trying to help drive the price up on something he didn't actually even want. He got over-enthusiastic and ended up paying way too much to become the proud owner of a Hobie Cat. He didn't sail, had no room to store it, and his wife was far less than amused over the whole thing. We all thought it was hilarious and he took a lot of grief over it at work.

Last edited:
Standard auction, no, not really. For a cause, absolutely. I rationalize a lot better when I can tell myself it isn't for me. Lol

Winter before covid hit, we were at an open bar charity auction for an organization that works with kids with special needs, and my nephew benefits directly from their work. He was also featured in the video that they put together highlighting the things that they do. That on top of the booze got the feels going, and it opened my wallet.

I bought two foursomes of golf with a lesson at two area courses, and then covid hit. I ended up using only 2 slots out of the 8 total. That was an expensive round of golf.

The club I worked at growing up had a big 3 day Memorial Day weekend tournament. On Sunday night there was a prime rib dinner and they had a calcutta for the low round in the championship flight in Monday's round. Definitely saw some overbidding on that.

I wouldn't say overbid... maybe overbought... but not overpay. My wife and I went on a cruise and we checked out the art auction. It's kind of difficult to overbid when no one is bidding on the item. Our house needed decorations on the wall and my wife and I liked what we picked so we're happy.:D

Yes... my story...

Circa 2006 I was a junior golfer with a fast, athletic swing gaming a Callaway FT3 Fusion driver - one of my favourite clubs of all time. I was a much better player back then and I ripped this thing.

Flash forward to 2019 I’m an older and much less athletic (and less skilled) golfer gaming a Taylormade M6 that I wasn’t happy with. I yearned for the days when I ripped my FT3 and wondered what i’d be like with it now all these years later...

I took to EBay and found an FT3 with the EXACT spec I used to own. I NEEDED this golf club...

Unfortunately for me, it seems another bidder was equally endeared by this relic of a golf club.

In a moment of absolute madness (I was actually out on the golf course at the time) I ended up paying the equivalent of around $180 for a 15 year old Callaway FT3 Fusion.

And I couldn’t hit it for s**t, I sold it for $40 2 weeks later.

Bid sensibly kids!

Yes, it's happened & will most likely happen again. Going to auctions (livestock, farm equipment, etc..) was a big part of my youth and I do enjoy one from time to time.

All the time. The worst part is that I have probably a dozen of rounds at Bellerive, Old Warson and Boone Valley that have never been used. It’s for charity and after a few drinks I get carried away. 😵‍💫😵‍💫😵‍💫

Yeah earlier this year I was getting sucked into auctions regarding trading cards. Not on Ebay either.

It's crazy the thrill of winning something and then the immediate regret of what did I spend...:oops:

Maybe had a slight overpay on eBay, but nothing extravagant.

For our family reunions, we used to do an auction to raise money for the next year's event. People would bring in homemade goodies and some other small things to auction away and, of course, people would overpay like crazy since it was to raise money. Anyway, there were 2 jars of homemade pickles up for auction and the price was up to something like $40. My late cousin leans over to my brother-in-law and tells him that he has a hole in his shirt and points toward his armpit. My BIL starts raising his hand to see the hole and the auctioneer calls him out on a $45 bid for 2 jars of pickles... luckily someone else outbid him, but we were all in tears laughing.

Paid $100 for a Ronald McDonald water bottle. The label was a paper sticker, similar to a "Hello My Name Is " tag...oh well goes to a good cause

Not me, but a boss I used to work for got into a bidding war at an auction trying to help drive the price up on something he didn't actually even want. He got over-enthusiastic and ended up paying way too much to become the proud owner of a Hobie Cat. He didn't sail, had no room to store it, and his wife was far less than amused over the whole thing. We all thought it was hilarious and he took a lot of grief over it at work.
Not me I promise! However, a guy I know that owns a lumber company did the same sort of thing - only it was a giant stuffed brown bear. Allegedly it was massive and stuffed on their hind legs, while I never got to see it because his wife was OH HECK NO! he (again "allegedly") took a trailer from work, tied it down and moved it into the house while his wife was out to surprise her. She was neither surprised nor impressed.

This same man also collects rocks when he goes on vacations and trips so he's kind of like a "yeah, that could look cool" sort of guy and he has a great personality so while I cannot confirm all the contents of the story I absolutely believe that it happened with the exact amount of reaction that you can expect.

I have in the past. My bidding philosophy has changed since then.

Back