Getting two or more guns of the same type

Photon Guy

Reaction score
Handicap
Im wondering if it would be a good idea if there's this gun I really like to get another one of the same type, or maybe even more. I really like the Ruger Redhawk and Im thinking of getting another one. The idea is to use one gun for target and range use and the other gun as a hunting sidearm or an EDC. Also, that way you have a spare gun. If you're a gun collector it makes sense to get guns you don't already have but repeating can be a good idea sometimes I suppose.

I have never been one to double guns. If I'm going to spend money on one, I will most likely buy one that I don't have yet haha. I might buy similar type but different maker (ie: sig/glock or various 1911 brands). but hey, if that what's you want to do, then go for it. Doesn't hurt to have a back up of something you're very comfortable with

For me, a gun is a tool. It has a purpose it has to serve, based on what I feel I need. If you feel you need another for some purpose, I say go for it. The more the merrier.

I don't see anything wrong it. I have 3 different makers and 3 of the same gun for each.
3 Ruger New Vaquero (cowboy action shooting)
3 Browning 725 Skeet (Skeet leagues, practice and competition)
3 Glock 23 .40 (duty, back up, practice)

All get used for different purposes and on a regular basis. I also have the same guns in different sizes.
Good luck in whatever you decide.

Are you going to have one of them that is a short barrel verison as your carry gun? I dont really see why you cant use a longer barreled version as your target and hunting gun. I can see wanting a short barrel version as your carry gun, just make sure its a snubnose.

Are you going to have one of them that is a short barrel verison as your carry gun? I dont really see why you cant use a longer barreled version as your target and hunting gun. I can see wanting a short barrel version as your carry gun, just make sure its a snubnose.

Usually I will not use a Ruger Redhawk as an EDC, way too big and bulky. Right now I've got one Ruger Redhawk. I've must've fired it around 2000 times and twice I've had to take it in for repairs. 2000 is quite a bit but for a Ruger I would expect it to be able to handle that without needing repairs. Hopefully I didn't get a lemon but Im looking into getting another Ruger Redhawk of the same caliber and barrel length, 5 1/2 inches, and the first Ruger I would use the most for target shooting. The second Ruger I might use for hunting or if I happen to be otherwise open carrying or carrying in a bag or backpack.

So basically youre going to put the first gun into semi-retirement. Gotcha. To each their own but I wouldnt call a gun with a 5 1/2" barrel a, "carry gun". A buddy of mine uses a fullsize 1911 as his EDC, not because its a great carry gun but because carrying a big gun like that makes him feel like a tough guy. He actually almost bought the exact gun that you have as his EDC because, as he said, "when you pull out a big gun like that, people know you mean business."

So basically youre going to put the first gun into semi-retirement. Gotcha. To each their own but I wouldnt call a gun with a 5 1/2" barrel a, "carry gun". A buddy of mine uses a fullsize 1911 as his EDC, not because its a great carry gun but because carrying a big gun like that makes him feel like a tough guy. He actually almost bought the exact gun that you have as his EDC because, as he said, "when you pull out a big gun like that, people know you mean business."

Actually I will be using the first gun the most. The first gun is what I will mostly use for range use and target practice so it will be fired the most. The second gun I will carry as a hunting sidearm or if Im using it as an EDC I will keep it in a bag or pack of some sort most likely. So both guns will be used just for different purposes. And also, I will have a spare gun of the same type if I've got two.

I'm born and raised in the south. You can NEVER HAVE ENOUGH GUNS!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've had my CHL for a while, but last year for Mother's Day I took my mom to take the class to get her license. The instructor did mention "if you find a gun you like, don't be afraid to buy two", and he gave a few reasons:

- A backup in case it breaks or fails (and if it's your EDC, presumably you'll already have a holster for it)
- A backup in case it's ever lost or stolen.
- A backup in case you're even faced with the unfortunate situation of having to use it in self defense; it's likely to be confiscated by law enforcement pending investigation.

- A backup in case you're even faced with the unfortunate situation of having to use it in self defense; it's likely to be confiscated by law enforcement pending investigation.

Well eventually it should be returned if you are found to be in the right.

I have 2 Kimber 45's. Reason for it is I bought one for myself a long time ago, and some time later, bought a Sig P226 for my wife. As she got more comfortable with hand guns, she spent more time shooting my 45 than her 9mm. So I bought another Kimber so she'd leave mine alone. :D

Well eventually it should be returned if you are found to be in the right.

That could take months or years, depending on the trial. I wouldn't want to be without my EDC for that long if I didn't have another option.

I have a neighbor that has around fifteen Glock 19s. Some are just the standard black and then he has a lot of different options on others. I personally have two Glock 19s and then several other pistols that are all 9mm. If you really like the Ruger, I don't see any reason you wouldn't want a second one.

I never did this - it doesn't make much sense to me to buy a second for use as you describe. Personally, I prefer to practice with the exact same gun I used for CC. You are going to have to run A LOT of metal through it to damage anything so there's no downside to using the same one for practice as EDC. Then again, this is a golf forum where we do nothing but enable people to make unnecessary purchases, so if you want something new and shiny and it isn't going to kill the budget ...

how about 2 different weapons of the same caliber? I had an M1 Carbine for awhile with a complementary Ruger single-action revolver in 30 carbine caliber. Pretty useless pistol for anything other than target shooting. Easy/sweet shooting but really barked. The M1 was a hoot. Wish I'd not sold them but at the time, I needed the cash.

I had a 1911 for awhile,with a plan to get a complementary Thompson but other life priorities changed my choice of hobbies. Oh well, the 1911 was fun. I carried one regularly while in the military and still love them.

I used to have a Dan Wesson pistol pack in .357 magnum and loved it for it's flexibility.

aa.jpg

I never did this - it doesn't make much sense to me to buy a second for use as you describe. Personally, I prefer to practice with the exact same gun I used for CC. You are going to have to run A LOT of metal through it to damage anything so there's no downside to using the same one for practice as EDC.
I've fired my Ruger Redhawk a couple thousand times and twice I've taken it in for repairs. The Ruger Redhawk is way too big to use for CC in most cases so usually I will not use it for CC unless Im carrying it in a bag. It is good for open carry and makes a good hunting sidearm.

Then again, this is a golf forum where we do nothing but enable people to make unnecessary purchases, so if you want something new and shiny and it isn't going to kill the budget ...

In that case I will go out and buy a brand new set of Callaway clubs, oh wait, that will kill the budget.

how about 2 different weapons of the same caliber?

Been there done that. I've got four guns in .357 Magnum and 3 guns in 9mm and I've got a rifle and a pistol that are both .22s. I've also got two pistols and a rifle all of which are in .45 long colt and three 12 gauges.

I used to have a Dan Wesson pistol pack in .357 magnum and loved it for it's flexibility.

aa.jpg

So you don't have it anymore? From what I know those Dan Wessons with interchangeable barrels are now collectables.

Yea, I needed to sell it a long time ago when I was young and dumb.
I kick myself every time I think about it.

Back