Getting your Wife or Significant Other Involved in Golf

I introduced my wife to golf about 5 or 6 years ago. She is now as much of a golf addict as I am.
Our vacations are all now planned around playing golf and we play several couples tournaments a year.
Introducing her to golf is one of the best things I have ever done. Now I play about twice as much as I used to.
She likes to play a lot and she knows I need the "guy" time as well. She's a keeper !

I am trying to figure out why you would want the wife playing with you.I play to get some relaxation and RELIEVE stress,not to add to it.Lol

If you don't mind me asking, how old are you? Also, what do you and the wife do for fun?

My wife likes to play, but doesn't get out on the course very often at all. She's a very athletic person but for some reason she struggles mightily with the game of golf. For what ever reason, she cannot seem to get the ball airborne. I suck at teaching so I cannot help her. She even took a couple of lessons once, but it didn't seem to help (this was many years ago).

She wants to go out and play with me, but doesn't want to go when the course is even semi-crowded. The pressure of other people waiting for her to hit makes her even worse. I think I'd like her to take lessons again with the instructor I am currently using. I think he could help her quite a bit.

My wife grew up playing softball and thought golf would be an "easy" transition. Boy was she in for a surprise. The "light" went on recently for her driver, but she still struggles with hitting her irons.

What kind of golf clubs do you have her swinging?

Mine doesn't want to learn so I don't force it. Every so often I offer if she would like to come out with me or to the range but she always declines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've gone to the pitch and putt a few times with my wife but she really isn't very interested.

My wife grew up playing softball and thought golf would be an "easy" transition. Boy was she in for a surprise. The "light" went on recently for her driver, but she still struggles with hitting her irons.

What kind of golf clubs do you have her swinging?
That sounds like my wife. She used to be a very good softball player from what I've been told. She was offered a college scholarship. She is also very good at volleyball.

It's a cheap set I bought her at Dick's several years ago. Affinity is the brand name.

My wife would rather have her right arm chopped off than go to a golf course. I hate it because our best friends play together (husband and wife) all the time. Oh well.

I could go on a 3 day bender with Jamaican prostitutes and she would say, " you're not going to play golf too are u?". I think she just hates anything that brings me pleasure to be honest.

It amazes me how much she hates the sport. Mini golf....no way either.

I think the hate comes from one Valentine's day my mother told her she was getting a engagement ring and instead I bought her a starter set of clubs. Obviously went over like fart in church.

That sounds like my wife. She used to be a very good softball player from what I've been told. She was offered a college scholarship. She is also very good at volleyball.

It's a cheap set I bought her at Dick's several years ago. Affinity is the brand name.

Have you tried different clubs? For example, my wife couldn't hit the Cleveland HiBore XL driver to save her life (IMO one of the easiest drivers of all time to hit). We went GBB Driver and all the sudden she's hitting bombs. Confidence is a weird thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wife said she was interested so I took her to the range and she liked it. She ended up hunting eBay for the fun accessories. Got her a nice complete set of clubs and some lesson and would go to the range a couple times a week. We played a par 3 course a few times and she played two 18 hole rounds. That was 4 years ago since then she has touched her clubs once for half of a small bucket.

I won't do it again.

I encouraged my wife to take up golf and even bought her a women's set for Christmas a few years ago. She finally took some group lessons with a couple of her girlfriends and had fun doing so. She doesn't want to play a "real" course that's busy and "everyone is waiting on me" so we go to a small putt and chip course early in the morning. She enjoys herself and we're finished before 9 A.M.

Warning: There are unintended consequences if your wife plays.
1. She might notice that you're playing a new club or set of irons. "What? This old thing" doesn't sound any more convincing when you say it.
2. She is having a problem hitting her irons and then stripes yours... I mean her new irons. Lost my C100's that way.
3. You buy your wife a new putter and when she goes to put it away she says "oh, this is pretty. I'm using this one." Lost a White Damascus that way.

However, the positives far outweigh the negatives. You share a fun activity and at least in my case, she is much more understanding about going away to play with THPers.

My wife has no interest, but fully supports my play. I likewise support her interests as well.

Disclaimer: I did upgrade to wife 3.0 before I found this feature was even available.
I have also upgraded to wife 3.0 and couldn't be happier. Some guys are lucky and the 1st gen models are great. I feel sorry for those that have underperforming models but can't afford the upgrade.

haha Rob its funny, both our contest threads are about similar subjects.

here's mine

my gf a moderate interest and wants to learn the game, we are easing into it slowly

It didn't take long for my wife to understand the term "golf widow". So she thought about learning to play and purchased a package of lessons at the Naval Academy course. After the second lesson she said to me-you go out and play, I have no idea how you think this is fun. Fortunately, my wife is a rather independent women and I could never survive a clinging wife. Also fortunately, my wife has always supported my desire and need to play. We have a deal, other than a weekend excursion to NYC, if we go somewhere on a vacation, there must be a beach for her and a golf course for me. We maintain a calendar, where she will note if there is something she wants me to accommodate, if the day is blank, she knows, weather permitting, I most likely will be playing, if she has noted something, it is only proper and fair that I accommodate it. Conversely, I will note it if I have made a commitment to play such as a local THP outing and she accommodates. It's like most things in our marriage, its caring, mutual accommodations and compromise.

haha Rob its funny, both our contest threads are about similar subjects.

here's mine

my gf a moderate interest and wants to learn the game, we are easing into it slowly
Sorry Marty, didn't see that. But you know what they say...great minds and all!!

My wife has been playing for three years now. She's tall(5'10") so started with an old set of my clubs. That first year she really caught the bug so I bought her a nice High Lofted driver that gets the ball up nicely. She even had the ladies' longest drive at an outing for her employer this year.

I got her some new hybrids/irons, nothing expensive Cobra BioCells with senior shafts, for her 2nd year. This year she got a new putter so the cost has been distributed over several years.

She's had a couple lessons but has hit a plateau of late that has her frustrated. Her attitude has always been great on the course. She takes it serious but picks up when she's had enough. We mostly play with another couple but she'll play with me and my buddies as well. She had a really good putting round a couple months ago and one of the guys said, "You can play with us anytime you'd like... Until you start beating us, then its back to housework for you!" He was just joking, he knows I do the housework in our family...

She even got her best friend talked into trying it out. Her best friend's husband and I are good friends but he only plays once or twice a year. He thought this might be his opportunity to get out more but we only played the one time. We cruised our local muni in 3 1/2 hours which I thought was fantastic for having a 1st timer.

I encouraged my wife to take up golf and even bought her a women's set for Christmas a few years ago. She finally took some group lessons with a couple of her girlfriends and had fun doing so. She doesn't want to play a "real" course that's busy and "everyone is waiting on me" so we go to a small putt and chip course early in the morning. She enjoys herself and we're finished before 9 A.M.

Warning: There are unintended consequences if your wife plays.
1. She might notice that you're playing a new club or set of irons. "What? This old thing" doesn't sound any more convincing when you say it.
2. She is having a problem hitting her irons and then stripes yours... I mean her new irons. Lost my C100's that way.
3. You buy your wife a new putter and when she goes to put it away she says "oh, this is pretty. I'm using this one." Lost a White Damascus that way.

However, the positives far outweigh the negatives. You share a fun activity and at least in my case, she is much more understanding about going away to play with THPers.

I have also upgraded to wife 3.0 and couldn't be happier. Some guys are lucky and the 1st gen models are great. I feel sorry for those that have underperforming models but can't afford the upgrade.

That the boat im in. I often ask if i can nip to the range and she gets stuck on the same answer over and over. Tried CTRL-ALT-DEL but doesnt work. Think she may have got corrupted :D

My wife (and best friend of 20+ years now) has zero interest. She has this thing where if there's a game being played in her vicinity and a ball is involved it usually hits her in the head.

We try to minimize her exposure to things like volleyball, basketball and four square to minimize the prospect of any real damage.

If you don't mind me asking, how old are you? Also, what do you and the wife do for fun?

I am old as dirt (64) and the wife is a couple yrs. younger.She grew up with 4 brothers that played all kinds of sports so she has been very athletic.She would, and still will shot some baskets with me and my son when he was growing up but has never really shown an interest in golf outside of putt putt.She realizes that golf is a game that I enjoy with "the Guys".I tried to get her interested a few times after we got married,34 years ago, but she just wasn't interested in spending 4 hrs out in the hot sun or in the cold"chasing a little white ball".She supports me playing as long as I don't go wild buying clubs too often.She goes on shopping trips with gal pals and enjoys that even though she looks more than buys.
As to what we do together,I take her shopping when she wants to but can't find another lady to go with her.We take some "day trips" to new or interesting places and go to outdoor concerts and events .We watch movies together with a big bowl of popcorn, curled up on the couch together.Neither one of us drinks so we are not into the bar scene, but we do enjoy trying a new restaurant from time to time.

Back