GHIN Mobile App upgrades

I'm not getting it to show where I am in GPS at all without the upgrade. I'm right across the street of the course I have up.

It looks a LOT like a marriage between GHIN and GolfLogix in app. Even the way it downloads the course. Which I don't love. I use GolfLogix for scouting, but it's nowhere near the best or easiest to use when actually playing imo.
I received the USGA GHIN email mid-round yesterday and opened up the app out of curiosity. To see the actual on-course GPS, you go to More>Course Maps & GPS>Course Name.

The locked version was showing Center of green distance and was almost identical to the reading on my son’s GPS watch.

Made a mental note to check it out in further detail, post-round. Then, of course, check in to THP and see you guys are all over it.

haha, I knew they'd charge for it. Sad.

If I want to dump money into a yearly subscription I'll just re-up my SkyCaddie.
Annual subscription model for the upgrades kinda stinks, but they've got to charge something, don't they? USGA certainly isn't producing the heatmaps and putt views.

It costs $29 for a hard copy of the yardage books with the green views they have available (PuttView in this case). If you play many courses, $40 for a year of that seems pretty light. You never lose your yardage book, and it won't get destroyed from sweat and rain.

Annual subscription model for the upgrades kinda stinks, but they've got to charge something, don't they? USGA certainly isn't producing the heatmaps and putt views.

It costs $29 for a hard copy of the yardage books with the green views they have available (PuttView in this case). If you play many courses, $40 for a year of that seems pretty light. You never lose your yardage book, and it won't get destroyed from sweat and rain.
I expected a fee, for what it's worth.

Will be interesting to see what the collective perspective is on it though, as most of the time when a subscription comes into play, the line is pretty aggressively drawn down the middle from a 'worth it' point of view.

My issue is that continuing subscription. Can I pay it for the first year, then download the courses I play the most with the heat map and putting views one time and they are there forever? Then just not renew. Or pay it every year for your home course(s) seems a little absurd to me.

My issue is that continuing subscription. Can I pay it for the first year, then download the courses I play the most with the heat map and putting views one time and they are there forever? Then just not renew. Or pay it every year for your home course(s) seems a little absurd to me.
Screenshot the heatmaps and putt views? :sneaky:

Screenshot the heatmaps and putt views? :sneaky:
Exactly my point. So why not just charge a one time fee? Some may pay each year, but if you can screenshot those views on the courses you play the most, why keep paying!?

Another dumb question perhaps and please excuse the ignorance.....are the heat maps, green views allowed in tournament play? Or not allowed like slope?

Another dumb question perhaps and please excuse the ignorance.....are the heat maps, green views allowed in tournament play? Or not allowed like slope?
They are allowed, as long as the scale of the drawing is small enough. The app seems to meet this, as the amount you can zoom in is limited.

I expected a fee, for what it's worth.

Will be interesting to see what the collective perspective is on it though, as most of the time when a subscription comes into play, the line is pretty aggressively drawn down the middle from a 'worth it' point of view.
The heatmaps wouldn't be worth it for me, since I don't have the accuracy to shoot for a particular spot on the green on my approaches. I can see where they might be helpful to better players who can hit what they're aiming at, though.

The heatmaps wouldn't be worth it for me, since I don't have the accuracy to shoot for a particular spot on the green on my approaches. I can see where they might be helpful to better players who can hit what they're aiming at, though.
I think there's a level of play that's appropriate with, but usually that comes with a caddie and a paycheck.

Plus, I would assume it's really only necessary for travel golfers. Most who play the same courses regularly know the nuances.

I used the free trial for a shamble yesterday and it is nice but not sure how much I would use it. First of all I have to bring my phone with me to the green to use the app. The data was helpful on a course I haven't played in awhile but if I played the same course all the time I wouldn't use it.

This looks better than Arccos app, especially the green heat map.

I've abandoned Arccos, haven't used Grint app to track a round in forever so see some storage space freeing up if it works good

Interestingly, if you log in to the browser version of GHIN there is no announcement and no mention of this on the GHIN app. GHIN and the USGA are terrible when it comes to communicating what they are doing. The app has a middling rating of 3 starts, but that's obviously before adding these features. I'll try to keep an open mind and check it out. Thanks OldandStiff for letting us know.

Definitely worth a try - but keep in mind that if you really like the stat tracking on Grint, the GHIN app won't have all that extra stuff.
Yes, when GHIN went to the WHS they started from scratch. The new system was significantly deprecated when it came to stats and all the history you had on your stats was removed without notice. They didn't even give you a way to report bugs on the new system for the first 6 months.

So it's been a couple weekends now.. what's the verdict??

Who has used it? Love it or hate it? Not worth the money?

I need DEETS y'all!

So, the first round or couple of rounds you get FMB distances and the heat and green maps without having to upgrade?

So, the first round or couple of rounds you get FMB distances and the heat and green maps without having to upgrade?
You do. One of my regular golf partners has been using it, he got the 'enhanced' features for either the first round or first three rounds (don't remember which, honestly), then it starts prompting you to upgrade and all you get is center green yardage if you don't upgrade. Our course didn't have the green maps so he didn't get to try that feature, though. He still uses it because it tracks his basic stats (FW, GIR, putts) and automatically enters his score into GHIN at the end of the round.

I haven't bothered trying it. I don't like using my phone during the round, and my Garmin watch already tracks all my stats and score, plus it gives me FMB, layups, yardage to hazards, shot tracking, etc. I enter my scores into GHIN on the computer when I get home.

Back