Gift for a New Boatowner

Reframmellator

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Question for you boaters out there:

My son has wanted a boat for a long time and finally bought one last week. He also has a birthday coming up, so we thought it might be nice to get him something boat-relatd but nonobvious (i.e., floating key chain, first aid kit) that he would find useful. It's a 23 footer that he is docking at a marina on the lake where he will use it.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Everyone has a cooler but all of the new rotomolded style ones are amazing but a little crazy priced. I got this one last year and love it. Keeps ice
very well and the latches are easy to use. Its bigger than advertised at 62 quarts (55 nominally). The cord handles are moderately easy to carry (2 person job when full). Best value for the size & performance at $100...
8ece7aa0-306b-4280-b79e-eacaf9d40cab_1.ea37b80c6fa230129878abd6f2802155.jpeg

Does he fish? Or is it just recreational usage? That would determine my gift. :unsure:

I've never owned a boat, but from what I hear, the best gift for a boat owner would be cash. I don't think you can ever have enough of it if you own a boat, can you?:cool:

Last year I bought myself a new depth/fish finder for mine. (y)

Does he fish? Or is it just recreational usage? That would determine my gift. :unsure:

He has two kids under three, so for now it's mostly recreational, bur he does like to fish and I'm sure that will be a part of things going forward.

Boat towing membership, just like any insurance it seems silly until you need it. Kind of like AAA for your boat.

Boat slide for the kids.

Grill/cooler.

This is a assuming all the safety stuff is already there. First aid kit, fire extinguisher, life vest, etc...

Something like this is my biggest seller for new boaters.

Boat towing membership, just like any insurance it seems silly until you need it. Kind of like AAA for your boat.
^ Great idea right there. Ten years worth of BoatUS membership will pay for itself in one boat tow bill.

Rotomolded cooler is a good idea. Don't pay Yeti prices, RTIC are a lot less expensive and just as good.

Another good suggestion is some kind of floaties for when they're lounging in the lake around the boat - a lot of people use them when they beach up in a cove and are hanging out in the water. We like ones like these:

floaties.jpg

My buddy had these insane bluetooth speakers, they were about the size of small rolling suitcases. I can ask the name if that's of interest

Last edited:
After having this happen to a co-worker, who had yearned for a boat for many years.....

Buy him a plug for the boat.

My buddy was so excited to get the boat in the water, backed the trailer in, and promptly saw it start sinking because the previous owner hadn't put the plug in after the last usage.

A my condolences greeting card.

What kind of boat is it? What will it be used for primarily?

What kind of boat is it? What will it be used for primarily?

It's a 6 yr old 23' Stingray bowrider. I estimate they will use it 80/20 for cruising lakes/fishing.

He will love these fenders. I’m an avid boater and these are super high quality and easy to use.

I'll go with the guys that said money!

The definition of a BOAT is ,"A whole in the water that you throw money into!" :ROFLMAO:

Actually I loved it when we had a boat, pretty much until the kids left home. They provide some of the greatest family recreation out there, hands down. :drinks:

Being a boat owner a blank check is most useful. :ROFLMAO: Boat stands for break out another thousand. Other than that I use a lot of boat care products such as seat, boat wipe and such for quick detailing/cleaning. Other ideas would be related to use such as fishing, wake boarding and such. A nice tow rope, dock bumper to protect the boat from rubbing the dock are always useful.

Congratulations to your son. I have had a ski boat for 15 years and it was awesome when the kids were growing up we spent a ton of hours out on the water as a family.

Lake boats aren’t the money pit that ocean boats are. The salt water is tremendously corrosive and leads to more maintenance.

If it doesn’t have a stereo I like the Bluetooth speaker idea. Some sort of tube the kids can sit in right now would probably be fun also.

You son is going to have a blast with his kids on it.

Cooler and speaker of nothing on the boat already. Everyone needs a brisk refreshment and some tunes out on the water.

If he's going to be leaving it outdoors at the marina for extended periods, one of the best gifts he could receive is large quantities of 303 Aerospace Protectant. It protects the upholstery, gelcoat, etc. from UV damage, cracking, fading, etc.. Boats stored outdoors can age quickly from the constant beating from the elements.

Back