Give me just one tip for my first year of golf

camden_kid

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
I am a newbie to golf hoping to start taking lessons in March. I'm quite excited about starting a journey that will be enjoyable (and frustrating by some accounts) and hopefully long lasting.

Give me one tip to help me through my first year of golf.

Thanks.

Have fun with it! When things get frustrating, keep your head up and just keep trying! It'll come!

Don't take it too seriously or beat yourself up. You may suck, it takes a lot of getting used to the mechanics. Get out. Practice, play, have fun, and laugh at the bad shots

Remember it's a game, have fun, don't get that beat up over things as you learn.

But more speficially - understand that getting better isn't necessarily a straight line. Making one change that will help things longer term might feel like you're taking a step back for a bit. And don't be afraid to switch instructors if you don't feel like you "click" with yours.

Remember it's a game, have fun, don't get that beat up over things as you learn.

But more speficially - understand that getting better isn't necessarily a straight line. Making one change that will help things longer term might feel like you're taking a step back for a bit. And don't be afraid to switch instructors if you don't feel like you "click" with yours.

Thanks. Did you make change that felt like a step back?

Always, always, focus on the ball. It’s amazing how often even experienced golfers will get caught up with all kinds of thoughts during set up and swing and neglect that one basic thing.

Im a big believer that your eyes and brain will ensure you hit the ball solidly if you just give them a chance. When I’m striking it poorly, I’ll often find that I have drifted my focus to other things and as soon as I intentionally get back to focusing, I immediately see improvement.

Don't get discouraged, think it will get better and have fun.

(One sentence = one tip)

Always, always, focus on the ball. It’s amazing how often even experienced golfers will get caught up with all kinds of thoughts during set up and swing and neglect that one basic thing.

Im a big believer that your eyes and brain will ensure you hit the ball solidly if you just give them a chance. When I’m striking it poorly, I’ll often find that I have drifted my focus to other things and as soon as I intentionally get back to focusing, I immediately see improvement.

That's really good advice.

Just remember why you're playing this game in the first place; it isn't because you want to add more stress and frustration to your life.

My great-grandfather's golfing wisdom:

"Hit 'em hard, hit 'em fast, let's go!"

Have fun. Don’t worry about the last shot, just focus on the next one. And at the end of the round think about your best shot. Ok that was 3.

Good tempo is important

Don’t over think it!!! Have fun with the game!

Always keep in mind this quote from Ben Hogan (the greatest ball striker to play golf).
"Reverse every natural instinct and do the opposite of what you are inclined to do, and you will come pretty close to having a perfect golf swing".

... understand that getting better isn't necessarily a straight line.
As a new golfer as of June of this year I can say, uncategorically: Ain't that the truth!

Forget the last shot, you can't change the outcome.

whatever level of skill you're at - learn to be ready to play at all times because we already have way too many SLOW players.

Play with better players as often as you can

Thanks. Did you make change that felt like a step back?

I did a lot of work on my swing this past couple years - my good strikes have gotten a lot better, and my good days are better than they have been (shot an even par 9 for the first time ever this year, then did it again a couple weeks later). But there has also been a lot more inconsistency as I worked on things.

Just remember, non of us are good enought to be making a living playing golf, just have fun, strive to improve and, don't be a Richard! 😎

Learn proper golf etiquette. Spend time practicing your grip. See Hogan's Five Lessons for details on the grip.

Whoops, that was more than one thing. ;)

Screen Shot 2020-12-03 at 2.26.05 PM.png

Remember that the frustration is part of what you signed up for, so don’t be too hard on yourself when things do inevitably go south. Learn to laugh it off

Back