Reaction score
Handicap
Any thoughts as to which of the three courses is best suited for a 22 handicap who generally enjoys easier, wide open courses over tighter, harder ones?

Which course do you think would be best? King or Queens? Is the PGA worth the extra pounds?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you looked up the scorecards online? Check out the rating and slope.

Any thoughts as to which of the three courses is best suited for a 22 handicap who generally enjoys easier, wide open courses over tighter, harder ones?

Which course do you think would be best? King or Queens? Is the PGA worth the extra pounds?
The Queens is the easier course. The Kings is the best course of the 3. The PGA course is long and tough. I was a 24 handicap when i payed it and shot 105 from the yellow tees. Its a long course though and allot of walking between tees. I would get a buggy, but if its wet the buggies will be restricted to cart paths. Still a good experience to play it though, the bunkers are tough to get out of and i think i was in a bunker on nearly every hole.:banghead:

The PGA is not a tight course and its pretty wide off the tee.

The Queens is the easier course. The Kings is the best course of the 3. The PGA course is long and tough. I was a 24 handicap when i payed it and shot 105 from the yellow tees. Its a long course though and allot of walking between tees. I would get a buggy, but if its wet the buggies will be restricted to cart paths. Still a good experience to play it though, the bunkers are tough to get out of and i think i was in a bunker on nearly every hole.:banghead:

The PGA is not a tight course and its pretty wide off the tee.

Thanks brother.

Have you looked up the scorecards online? Check out the rating and slope.

They list the SSS, which I'm guessing is something like rating in Europe. From the yellows: PGA (72), King (71) and Queen (68).

They list the SSS, which I'm guessing is something like rating in Europe. From the yellows: PGA (72), King (71) and Queen (68).

From the yellows all courses will be fine. With the Queens tbe shorter and easier. However if you only have to play one i would go for the pga.
There is an offer on at the moment for any of the courses for just over £200

http://www.gleneagles.com/offers/golf-offers/tee-time/european-golf-championships-2018/

From the yellows all courses will be fine. With the Queens tbe shorter and easier. However if you only have to play one i would go for the pga.
There is an offer on at the moment for any of the courses for just over £200 for a fourball.

http://http://www.gleneagles.com/offers/golf-offers/tee-time/european-golf-championships-2018/

Thanks. Currently planning a trip to your country for late October and have been pleasantly surprised how reasonably priced the greens fees are here and at St. Andrews.

Are the King and Queens courses walkable? I prefer to walk, particularly when it is cool.

Thanks. Currently planning a trip to your country for late October and have been pleasantly surprised how reasonably priced the greens fees are here and at St. Andrews.

Are the King and Queens courses walkable? I prefer to walk, particularly when it is cool.

yes they all are, i also walked the PGA and it was fine to walk the course. Just a few holes with long walks between tees. It is still walkable though.

SSS is the standard scratch score, if the par is 71 but the sss is 73 then we know some of the holes are going to kick our butt. It could be a long par 4 that plays like a 5.
my home course is par 71 but off the white tee's the CSS/SSS never gets below 72 and in tough conditions could be 74

i played and enjoyed the PGA, quite open but long. My driving was off that day and the rough swallowed several golf balls. I bow to Chas's superior knowledge of the other two courses as I have only walked round the kings many years ago

There is an offer on at the moment for any of the courses for just over £200

http://www.gleneagles.com/offers/golf-offers/tee-time/european-golf-championships-2018/

Thanks again for the advice. Played the Kings course. Very technically rigorous course. Struggled with the bunkers starting on hole #1. Would love to play the PGA and Queens courses. All looked to be in great shape. You live in a beautiful country.

Thanks again for the advice. Played the Kings course. Very technically rigorous course. Struggled with the bunkers starting on hole #1. Would love to play the PGA and Queens courses. All looked to be in great shape. You live in a beautiful country.

Glad you enjoyed it. The bunkers on the PGA are a nightmare, I think I was in a bunkers on nearly every hole when I played it. Enjoyed the the first and last holes on the Queens where you play over a massive gully to the fairway.

Glad you enjoyed it. The bunkers on the PGA are a nightmare, I think I was in a bunkers on nearly every hole when I played it. Enjoyed the the first and last holes on the Queens where you play over a massive gully to the fairway.

I scored an 8 (max score per my handicap) on every hole that I played at Gleneagles and St Andrews in which I found a fairway bunker. Elevating the ball quickly over a lip in a deep bunker is not a shot I have in my bag. I don't encounter them in the states as I did in Scotland.

I was a member there for around 7 years, The Kings is the one everybody wants to play, but the Queens is the easier and the most scenic.

The PGA (Monarch when I was a member) is as was mentioned earlier in the thread a long slog. Buggy recommended as the distance between some holes are longer than the holes themselves.

My tip for the day, its two clubs more than you think for the approach shot at the first on the Kings.

Edit: Should have read the whole thread, didn't realise you've already played.

Back