Glossy or matte finish golf balls?

TLuke

Reaction score
Handicap
None
I play a mixture of Callaway SS and Maxfli Softfli in both glossy and and matte finishes. In a wholly unscientific test last night, I found better wood/iron/putter response from the glossy finishes than the matte finishes. Matte seemed kinda unresponsive and somewhat mushy. What’s your preference?

Sox_Fan

BHG Homer
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Varies
I don't believe I have ever actually played a matte finish ball so my preference is glossy by default.

KEV

Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I played with a matte red Callaway Super Soft last weekend and boy was it mushy. I kind of expected that so it wasn't a big deal but it didn't seem to be near as long as my regular ball. I absolutely love the look of matte golf balls though. I'd rock the heck out of them if they were offered in something like a Chrome Soft.

HarlettoScara

Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I played with a matte red Callaway Super Soft last weekend and boy was it mushy. I kind of expected that so it wasn't a big deal but it didn't seem to be near as long as my regular ball. I absolutely love the look of matte golf balls though. I'd rock the heck out of them if they were offered in something like a Chrome Soft.
Yup, me too. I love the look of a matte ball, and I'm not quite sure why I don't play them currently given that I'm trialing the Vice Pro Plus at the minute. Might have to buy a couple of sleeves.

Hacker Rod

Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
You betcha
I prefer the look and reduced glare on a matte finish ball - especially in green or yellow which I find easier to track. But such choices are limited in urethane balls, so it's typically gloss yellow for me. I do have some Maxfli Tours in matte green, but I haven't tried them yet. Will likely break them out when the leaves start to fall and visibility becomes a bit more important. But I recall reading that matte balls lose more spin when wet than do their glossy counterparts, so as a rule I only play matte balls in the dry.

Gman79

Vegas Golf Baby #ShaftUp1
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Matte looks cool! just need it to be on urethane balls that I play.

Snickerdog

Team THP 2019 Grandaddy Alumni
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I prefer the glossy colors, but both track pretty easy compared to a white ball for me.

PJSprog

Hack Musician / Golfer
Reaction score
Handicap
Tacos
For look and tracking, I love the matte finishes. Matte red is hard to not see. I honestly haven't really noticed a difference in the feel when putting.

TCB2010

How good do the HMB’s look?!
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
im curious what this mushy feeling is, is it like a really soft low compression ball? or what is this?

AndyL0711

Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I have tried the matte finish balls and they just don't just fit my eye right....all in my head I'm sure

McLovin

feelz good 2 b a Gsta
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
glossy. everything else looks kinda cheap to me.

Drumdog

Drummin' for golf
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 5.5
I kinda like the looks of the matte finish balls. My wife uses the Volvik matte yellows.
I would have to test them against my current gamer before making a real decision.

billyh

I thought I changed this
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
A Lot
I've tried to love matte golf balls but the only ones I have actually spent money on were the Super Hot's and I couldn't hit them well at all. I did pick up a TaylorMade Project(?) matte and played it for a couple holes before donating it back to the course and seemed to like it.

tehuti

Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
20+
I prefer matte balls. My favorites are the OnCore Avant55 in green. I also like the matte white Cut White.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
I prefer the glossy, however the last round I played was with a Callaway matte red and it is growing on me! Vice just came out with the "Hue" balls. I think I am going to get a box of the blue or coral for the wife to try.
Vice.png

Blade Man

Aka- ApexFan
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Shiny is all I’ve played.

blueonblack

...tears on a river
Reaction score
Didn't even know they had matte balls now. This is kinda fun. I swear I didn't just wake up from a coma. :LOL:

I know manufacturers used to put different hues into the cover dyes to alter perceived feel. Cally would add some yellow to the ball, I understand, to make them seem "softer." This was around the HX-Tour days (man I loved those!) Some add Blue to make them appear more white.
Color and perceived feel definitely have a psychological basis. (y)

Scorpion12

B + <-- Be Positive. UP! Not down. Nice not mean.
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Glossy! I like the shiny stuff:D

links_slayer

Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
tried a matte red something ball i found for a few holes. i haven't been able to figure out if it was the color or the finish (or both) but i hated it.

oumagic

‘20 Morgan Cup on Team Paradise
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 11.9
I love the matte red and green Bridgestone e12. I wish they had those colors in the Bridgestone B series

Faiz

Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I don't mind either but the matte balls seem to be harder to clean or they just hold dirt more.
I really like playing the red or orange balls though as they really stand out.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Carolina Golfer

Reaction score
Handicap
Prefer Soft Feel glossy yellow. Is there a better looking ball out there? I've tried to like a matte ball. To me they get dirty too easily and don't feel that good. I bought my wife the ladies matte white Duo, those suckers get really dirty.

Snowman

It's a dry heat!
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 12.6
I like the matte yellow, but neither of the balls I play (Callaway Supersoft and Srixon QST) come in the matte finish in that color, so I play the gloss yellow.

DufferToo

100 Putters and Holding
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Putters
W/S Professional in matte green is my preferred ball. It works well for me and is surprisingly easy to see in the fairways.

Welcome to The Hackers Paradise

Don't just play golf, live it!

Register Log in