Glossy or matte finish golf balls?

TLuke

Reaction score
Handicap
None
I play a mixture of Callaway SS and Maxfli Softfli in both glossy and and matte finishes. In a wholly unscientific test last night, I found better wood/iron/putter response from the glossy finishes than the matte finishes. Matte seemed kinda unresponsive and somewhat mushy. What’s your preference?

I don't believe I have ever actually played a matte finish ball so my preference is glossy by default.

I played with a matte red Callaway Super Soft last weekend and boy was it mushy. I kind of expected that so it wasn't a big deal but it didn't seem to be near as long as my regular ball. I absolutely love the look of matte golf balls though. I'd rock the heck out of them if they were offered in something like a Chrome Soft.

I played with a matte red Callaway Super Soft last weekend and boy was it mushy. I kind of expected that so it wasn't a big deal but it didn't seem to be near as long as my regular ball. I absolutely love the look of matte golf balls though. I'd rock the heck out of them if they were offered in something like a Chrome Soft.
Yup, me too. I love the look of a matte ball, and I'm not quite sure why I don't play them currently given that I'm trialing the Vice Pro Plus at the minute. Might have to buy a couple of sleeves.

I prefer the look and reduced glare on a matte finish ball - especially in green or yellow which I find easier to track. But such choices are limited in urethane balls, so it's typically gloss yellow for me. I do have some Maxfli Tours in matte green, but I haven't tried them yet. Will likely break them out when the leaves start to fall and visibility becomes a bit more important. But I recall reading that matte balls lose more spin when wet than do their glossy counterparts, so as a rule I only play matte balls in the dry.

Matte looks cool! just need it to be on urethane balls that I play.

I prefer the glossy colors, but both track pretty easy compared to a white ball for me.

For look and tracking, I love the matte finishes. Matte red is hard to not see. I honestly haven't really noticed a difference in the feel when putting.

im curious what this mushy feeling is, is it like a really soft low compression ball? or what is this?

I have tried the matte finish balls and they just don't just fit my eye right....all in my head I'm sure

glossy. everything else looks kinda cheap to me.

I kinda like the looks of the matte finish balls. My wife uses the Volvik matte yellows.
I would have to test them against my current gamer before making a real decision.

I've tried to love matte golf balls but the only ones I have actually spent money on were the Super Hot's and I couldn't hit them well at all. I did pick up a TaylorMade Project(?) matte and played it for a couple holes before donating it back to the course and seemed to like it.

I prefer matte balls. My favorites are the OnCore Avant55 in green. I also like the matte white Cut White.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I prefer the glossy, however the last round I played was with a Callaway matte red and it is growing on me! Vice just came out with the "Hue" balls. I think I am going to get a box of the blue or coral for the wife to try.
Vice.png

Shiny is all I’ve played.

Didn't even know they had matte balls now. This is kinda fun. I swear I didn't just wake up from a coma. :LOL:

I know manufacturers used to put different hues into the cover dyes to alter perceived feel. Cally would add some yellow to the ball, I understand, to make them seem "softer." This was around the HX-Tour days (man I loved those!) Some add Blue to make them appear more white.
Color and perceived feel definitely have a psychological basis. (y)

Glossy! I like the shiny stuff:D

tried a matte red something ball i found for a few holes. i haven't been able to figure out if it was the color or the finish (or both) but i hated it.

I love the matte red and green Bridgestone e12. I wish they had those colors in the Bridgestone B series

I don't mind either but the matte balls seem to be harder to clean or they just hold dirt more.
I really like playing the red or orange balls though as they really stand out.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Prefer Soft Feel glossy yellow. Is there a better looking ball out there? I've tried to like a matte ball. To me they get dirty too easily and don't feel that good. I bought my wife the ladies matte white Duo, those suckers get really dirty.

I like the matte yellow, but neither of the balls I play (Callaway Supersoft and Srixon QST) come in the matte finish in that color, so I play the gloss yellow.

W/S Professional in matte green is my preferred ball. It works well for me and is surprisingly easy to see in the fairways.

Back