Glow Ball Tournament

skeets

Reaction score
Handicap
Local 9 hole muni is having glow ball tournament this Saturday night that I'm playing in. Obviously not a serious tournament. Anybody do this before? Any tips? I have a hard enough time hitting a ball in broad daylight.

Played in one MANY years ago....and I sucked at it. However, what it confirmed for me is that I was not keeping my head still / eye on the ball during my backswing. Never have tried it again, but it was pretty cool to see glowing balls flying thru the night sky.

I haven't played in any but we're talking about it at my club.... i have spoken with people who've played in glow ball events and while a fun time, they said to be very careful with drivers and other thin faced clubs, as they've seen some damaged... the glow balls are very hard and quite dense, apparently. This was a couple of years ago, so perhaps that issue has been resolved with newer balls and technology available... just wanted to mention it.... YMMV

Local 9 hole muni is having glow ball tournament this Saturday night that I'm playing in. Obviously not a serious tournament. Anybody do this before? Any tips? I have a hard enough time hitting a ball in broad daylight.

Don't use any woods. Those glow stick balls are hard as rocks and can crack the face of a driver or fairway wood. I played in one for work about 8 years ago and destroyed my 07 Burner 3w.

I play in one every year (for the last 4 or 5 anyway).

I'd echo what others have said about not using woods. I'd also add you can probably expect to lose about 10% of your normal distance off of irons.

Generally treat it more as a fun outing than a serious round of golf.

Also, at least once, try to just hammer one into a (bare if possible) tree. It's pretty cool to actually see the ball ricocheting around between the branches.

Drink heavily! :drinks:

Definitely don't use woods. My brother busted his Callaway FT9 driver years ago playing glow ball.

I've done glow golf before, go into it knowing you're just gonna have fun, the glow golf balls feel like a rock, there's really no way to make them perform, you just have to know they aren't going to react the exact same way you're used to.

In regards to your swing and playing, I personally felt really uncomfortable in the dark, it just felt weird to me, so I had to try and really calm myself down before a shot, we were allowed to bring lights, flashlights etc, with us and that really helped when putting, etc.

Glow Ball Tournament

Sounds cool: good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bring flashlights to shine on the ball when hitting. Your depth perception will be better than just hitting the glowing ball.

I have never played one but if I did I'd wear a LED head lamp with a red light mode. The red light will allow you to see without giving you night blindness. Switch to white light to putt then turn back to red so your eyes adjust before the next tee.

Sounds like a good time.

Last edited:
Glow ball tourneys are the best.

Ball doesn't fly as far, bring a flashlight. Have fun.

Played in one way back in the late 80s with my buddy. It was fun. One tip, do not drive your golf cart into the bunker when you are teamed up with the local golf pro. Hey, it was dark!!

(actually, he laughed about it!)

I play in one every year (for the last 4 or 5 anyway).

I'd echo what others have said about not using woods. I'd also add you can probably expect to lose about 10% of your normal distance off of irons.

Generally treat it more as a fun outing than a serious round of golf.

Also, at least once, try to just hammer one into a (bare if possible) tree. It's pretty cool to actually see the ball ricocheting around between the branches.

I'm pretty sure I can hammer one into a tree. That's the best part of my game.

sounds like you should go buy a cheap junk driver based on other's comments. Then post pictures afterwards of the driver with a cracked face....

Have some fun. It sounds awesome.

sounds like you should go buy a cheap junk driver based on other's comments. Then post pictures afterwards of the driver with a cracked face....

Have some fun. It sounds awesome.
Yeah didn't try that, when we got our briefing before we headed out during our event the pro told us anything above a 5 iron to leave in the bag!

Then again, at the yardages we played I think I only hit a PW as my lowest lofted club for the 9!

Glow ball tourneys are awesome. Lots of fun, lots to drink, and don't plan on scoring well, lol. But they're a blast

You are lucky!!! I have never played; but my advice is.... HAVE A GOOD TIME!!!!!!!

Glow ball tourneys are awesome. Lots of fun, lots to drink, and don't plan on scoring well, lol. But they're a blast

I think the beer is included in the entrance fee. I'm hoping for a glow in one.

We have one every year and it's pretty fun. The ball is flighted, so it's only going to go so far. Our course has strings of lights along the fairway to give you so direction and the ball glows fairly bright (enough to track it at night). It's a good time. I hope you enjoy it. Ours is always for charity so I play each year.

We didn't win the tournament but was a lot of fun. Wouldn't make it a regular thing but once a year would be nice. Balls were as hard as rocks. Guy in my group put a couple of dents in his fairway wood. Had to his at least 2 extra clubs each shot. REALLY hard for my to commit to my swing making ball striking even worse. Playing 2 person teams. Winning team posted a 29, don't know how they did that!

Back