Goalie's Goals for the Grandaddy

goalie

Albatross 2023 Club
Reaction score
I am a 52 year old guy from Minnesota that is happily married (25 years just before the Grandaddy) with one 14 year old son.

It's been a few weeks since I found out I'm going to Carlsbad this coming December, and it's been a whirlwind since finding out. My wife watched the third episode of WGP today with me (we're on vacation) and is now finally convinced that I'm not going to wake up in a tub full of ice somewhere in Southern California missing a kidney. (For the record, I've got two kidneys, so one really wouldn't be that big of a sacrifice for going to the GD)

About my golf history/experience:

1. I've been golfing for maybe thirty years, but never that seriously, mainly in a league with some friends and guy's weekend trips.

2. I'm a 17 handicap, and am better from 100 yards and in than I am off the tee.

3. I have not even carried a driver this year playing. (see #2)

4. I was a decades long slicer, and "fixed" that last season. Now I miss my old, reliable "power fade" off the tee, because the ability to miss both ways is NOT a superpower.

Considering the above, my goals for the Grandaddy are simple, and I only have two: one is golf related, the other is experience related.

On the golf side, I am planning to take some lessons and ensure that I have a repeatable, reliable swing for my fitting. I don't have the time to get "good" at golf between now and December, but I can put in the work to ensure that I bring a repeatable swing when I get fit by the best in the world.

My other goal, the experience goal, is to come away from the experience with the feeling that I actually did soak in as much of this amazing experience that I possibly could.

With those two goals in mind, I've been playing more, and playing with a purpose. I'll be practicing at a local range/executive course (Glenn Lake for the locals) twice a week instead of twice a month, and when the weather turns, I'll be at the golf dome in Edina at least weekly so I don't show up with my "Spring swing" that is usually present after a long Minnesota Winter without golf.

I’m excited for you to experience all of this. Also December in San Diego/Palm Springs is going to be a heck of a break from Minnesota.

Excited to see what progress you make and the journey you have embarked on! This is going to be fun!!!

Looking forward to your journey, brother!

Looking forward to following along.

I like the smart goal of a repeatable swing. You can build a lot of muscle memory by December :cool:

I know goalies loathe goals but I love the two you opted to embrace. Perfect plan to prep for the GD. Reasonably achievable and laser focused.

Last edited:
I’m excited for you to experience all of this. Also December in San Diego/Palm Springs is going to be a heck of a break from Minnesota.
Looking forward to hearing more through your Journey, If selected, i'd take you as a partner. Alt shot with you and sending you down the fairway where you can take advantage of those wedges.......any day

awesome goals for a @goalie and lets go get it!

for a sure a leave nothing on the table opportunity.

Love it!!! Love following along with everyones journey! Is it December yet?!

Awesome! Looking forward to following your journey.

Great goals! Can’t wait to follow along with you.

This will be a great experience. I look forward to following along! I can commiserate with a 2 way miss, but losing the big slice is an accomplishment! Well done! As a former goalie (soccer), I may have to route for you and your team now. :)

I laughed so hard at the miss both ways superpower.

100% agree. I would totally go back to a "power fade" miss, if it meant i had my old distance back, and only had the 1 way miss again.

Excited to hear about your progress! And love your goals!

What do you mean by winter without golf? I'm not sure I understand...

Represent with all your might @goalie !

I like the plan. Enjoying the experience is what it’s all about.

Will be following along my man. Enjoy the ride in the meantime, can’t wait to follow along with the crew at the GD!

I'm off for a long walk with my wife, then the range for some practice time.

Love it @goalie we are going to have a blast!

I had a productive week off up at my lake place. Lots of short game practice and range time, with one round where I followed a blow up hole with a chip in birdie and got back on track. Putting has been improving, and I didn't have any "bad" short misses on the course, and only 30 putts for the round (putting everything down, not picking up 2-3 footers).

I'm excited to get to the lessons after this week.

excellent goals, just watch out for the indoor soccer players at the golf dome.

Back