Goalie's Goals for the Grandaddy

Another lesson in the books. I almost didn't look like I was having a seizure on video, so there may be hope. It's amazing how different actually shifting your weight forward instead of falling backwards is. 😁
What’s your practice schedule look like in between lessons? Some of the swing changes I went through this year seemed like they took forever to click.

What’s your practice schedule look like in between lessons? Some of the swing changes I went through this year seemed like they took forever to click.
30 minute simulator sessions with video, and outdoor range until the Minnesota weather turns

30 minute simulator sessions with video, and outdoor range until the Minnesota weather turns
You’ll be primed and ready for December 💪🏻.

With a few lessons done, I'm in the awkward stage of hitting left consistently. Played in 50* rain with strong wind yesterday on a course I've never played and had a ton of fun and only lost two balls. 😁

Going to get a few more rounds in today, hopefully with nicer weather.

I will say, after putting really well lately in shorts and a polo, I putted poorly wearing winter golf gloves and a sweatshirt under rain gear.

Some good approaches from 45-75 yards were wasted when I couldn't drain anything past 6-8 feet.

I am a 52 year old guy from Minnesota that is happily married (25 years just before the Grandaddy) with one 14 year old son.

It's been a few weeks since I found out I'm going to Carlsbad this coming December, and it's been a whirlwind since finding out. My wife watched the third episode of WGP today with me (we're on vacation) and is now finally convinced that I'm not going to wake up in a tub full of ice somewhere in Southern California missing a kidney. (For the record, I've got two kidneys, so one really wouldn't be that big of a sacrifice for going to the GD)

About my golf history/experience:

1. I've been golfing for maybe thirty years, but never that seriously, mainly in a league with some friends and guy's weekend trips.

2. I'm a 17 handicap, and am better from 100 yards and in than I am off the tee.

3. I have not even carried a driver this year playing. (see #2)

4. I was a decades long slicer, and "fixed" that last season. Now I miss my old, reliable "power fade" off the tee, because the ability to miss both ways is NOT a superpower.

Considering the above, my goals for the Grandaddy are simple, and I only have two: one is golf related, the other is experience related.

On the golf side, I am planning to take some lessons and ensure that I have a repeatable, reliable swing for my fitting. I don't have the time to get "good" at golf between now and December, but I can put in the work to ensure that I bring a repeatable swing when I get fit by the best in the world.

My other goal, the experience goal, is to come away from the experience with the feeling that I actually did soak in as much of this amazing experience that I possibly could.

With those two goals in mind, I've been playing more, and playing with a purpose. I'll be practicing at a local range/executive course (Glenn Lake for the locals) twice a week instead of twice a month, and when the weather turns, I'll be at the golf dome in Edina at least weekly so I don't show up with my "Spring swing" that is usually present after a long Minnesota Winter without golf.

Not sure how I missed this and really look forward to following you the next couple months! 🔥

I agree with preferring a power fade over the two way miss...that's my game now

Two rounds in the cold and some rain today. Better than yesterday's round, which was cold, raining, AND windy......

Hitting better off the tee, but still some "lefts" just like at my lessons. Lots of good 4w off the tee shots and 45-75yard wedges.

One more round on the way home tomorrow.

Friday's carnage:

Screenshot_20220924-212341.png
This morning:
Screenshot_20220924-115653.png
And this evening:
Screenshot_20220924-171802.png

Overall, I feel like the lessons have me playing more consistent, and I'm optimistic that a few more months of weekly lessons will have me playing the best golf of my life.

Two rounds in the cold and some rain today. Better than yesterday's round, which was cold, raining, AND windy......

Hitting better off the tee, but still some "lefts" just like at my lessons. Lots of good 4w off the tee shots and 45-75yard wedges.

Friday's carnage:

View attachment 9123075
This morning:
View attachment 9123076
And this evening:
View attachment 9123078

Overall, I feel like the lessons have me playing more consistent, and I'm optimistic that a few more months of weekly lessons will have me playing the best golf of my life.
Nice work @goalie (y)

Friday's carnage:

View attachment 9123075
This morning:
View attachment 9123076
And this evening:
View attachment 9123078

I've got a feeling you're gonna be in a really good spot come December. Keep up the grind!

I'm not sure if 4 rounds this weekend in 50's and raining weather Fri-Sat, and 20mph sustained winds with gusts to 40mph Sunday would be considered "training" for Hideaway conditions in December, but it was fun, and the roller coaster of 101, 90, 92,108 helped with the mental game and staying positive (and warm) while things go pear-shaped.

I can't wait for another lesson tomorrow some range time with the Rhapsodo when it arrives.

Lessons seem to be going well. I'm seeing consistent ball flight and having better contact with improved distance without swinging harder. The Rapsodo has been a good catalyst to get me hitting balls "with purpose" instead of just banging range balls mindlessly.

We'll see how things go as the weather changes and outdoor golf becomes something I can do in 2023.........

Another lesson in the books. I almost didn't look like I was having a seizure on video, so there may be hope. It's amazing how different actually shifting your weight forward instead of falling backwards is. 😁

Like to hear of the progress. And I fully appreciate the weight shift thing. I struggle way too much with getting my weight forward.

Lesson tonight. I'm interested to see how my time with the Rapsodo translates to the lesson in terms of progress. I liked being able to see my shots on video outside. Being able to see the differences between "good" shots and "my old swing" shots seemed helpful.

The lesson went well and has me hopeful that December won't resemble my game in the middle of this year's golf league season. I was hitting consistently left still, and the last lesson seemed to be "engrained" if not completely perfected, and the two things added last night had me hitting some nice shots starting just a little right and ending just a little left. Sidespin wasn't an issue, club face closed at impact was, and keeping my R elbow in and cocking my R wrist more helped immensely.

I'm camping with my son's scout troop this weekend, so no real golf on the course until next week.

I still am not a fan of hitting off the mat, but I seem to be getting a lot cleaner contact now, with a lot less "fat mat" shots, and no back or shoulder pain the day after hitting a ton of shots off of a mat.

Two months from today we'll be flying in. 😲

The lesson went well and has me hopeful that December won't resemble my game in the middle of this year's golf league season. I was hitting consistently left still, and the last lesson seemed to be "engrained" if not completely perfected, and the two things added last night had me hitting some nice shots starting just a little right and ending just a little left. Sidespin wasn't an issue, club face closed at impact was, and keeping my R elbow in and cocking my R wrist more helped immensely.

I'm camping with my son's scout troop this weekend, so no real golf on the course until next week.

I still am not a fan of hitting off the mat, but I seem to be getting a lot cleaner contact now, with a lot less "fat mat" shots, and no back or shoulder pain the day after hitting a ton of shots off of a mat.

Nice work @goalie one step at a time! Enjoy the process

Get after it buddy.

Thanks for the support guys. I’m seeing much more consistency, and just hope these lessons result in that consistency carrying over to the course. Next step is going to be driver.
I have faith in your commitment.

Played a practice round as a single today hitting multiple balls on several holes. Walking was nice in the beautiful weather. The Nitron is still an awesome push cart for a hilly course, and I got in 18 in a tad under 3.5 hours.

The golf itself was interesting, as I'm three lessons deep, and there were many moments/shots where it felt great, and moments where I did roughly half of my new swing, which, coupled with half of my "old" swing, is hook city central. It is taking some getting used to hitting longer, and I flew a few greens or ended up back fringe where long was trouble. My chipping game was dialed in, and putting was solidly mediocre. Made a few long ones, missed a few short ones.

Hopefully it all comes together in time for December. :cool:

Great lesson yesterday. Life's been busy with some family medical stuff, and the weather isn't "golf friendly" at the moment, but there's progress.

I'm striking the ball better, and I'm still hooking, but am working on my wrist position and club face to fix that, and there's moments of success.

Plane and path, along with hips and shoulder turn are night and day from when I started.

Doing great work, love seeing it. Keep it up! You're going to do great come December!!

It's been colder than %*^@ out the last week. Driving range closed. Unable to do Rapsodo. Practice has basically been swing positions with a mirror and VR golf with my son's Occulus.

I'm at the point where I'm switching gears to grinding out the diet, so at least I look good on video hitting into every puddle on the Dye course. Maybe some club twirl reps as well. :cool:

It's been colder than %*^@ out the last week. Driving range closed. Unable to do Rapsodo. Practice has basically been swing positions with a mirror and VR golf with my son's Occulus.

I'm at the point where I'm switching gears to grinding out the diet, so at least I look good on video hitting into every puddle on the Dye course. Maybe some club twirl reps as well. :cool:
I stayed in Mankato last night and holy balls it's cold this morning!

Well, I joined the 21st century today and now will at least have a decent phone while at the Grandaddy. :cool:

Lesson, then round with THPers tomorrow. Probably my last outside golf until the Grandaddy.

Back