Going down hill fast-pain

mski

Reaction score
Handicap
9 USGA
Went from playing pretty good last year (consistent 80-81) , starting this season good but recently it's all going downhill. (shooting high 80's-low 90's)
I have been very busy at work (contractor) and I have pain in my right elbow and pain in my hands at my knuckles. I keep denying that this is the cause for my downward spiral but dont know.
My problem is I'm coming over the top badly. Never had this problem this drastic. Always had a slight out-to-in swing with a slight fade but this is ridiculous.
I dont know if I trying to compensate for the pain by involuntarily changing my swing. I did change from an overlap grip which I have used for 30 years to an interlock grip to relieve the pain in my hands.

Has anyone dealt with pain like this that no matter how you think it doesnt affect you it does once the clubs starts it downswing?

I hurt my wrist last year and a few years ago injured my shoulder in a car accident. I know for me, I tried to do what you're doing, but it made things worse... for me anyway. Subconsciously I began compensating for the pain and was altering my swing without me even knowing it. It's like my mind knew there was going to be pain if I swung normally so I was compensating by altering my natural swing. I ended up going to the doctor, getting treatment and eventually following doctor's orders and resting for several months to get the joints time to heal. Both instances caused me to miss a big chunk of summer golf, but the pain eventually resolved after rest and treatment.

I wish you well in dealing with your pain issues.

I hurt my wrist last year and a few years ago injured my shoulder in a car accident. I know for me, I tried to do what you're doing, but it made things worse... for me anyway. Subconsciously I began compensating for the pain and was altering my swing without me even knowing it. It's like my mind knew there was going to be pain if I swung normally so I was compensating by altering my natural swing. I ended up going to the doctor, getting treatment and eventually following doctor's orders and resting for several months to get the joints time to heal. Both instances caused me to miss a big chunk of summer golf, but the pain eventually resolved after rest and treatment.

I wish you well in dealing with your pain issues.

This is exactly I think is happening to me.

Yes. I have wrist and arm issues, cervical vertebrae issues and hip issues, plus I'm naturally uncoordinated. When I'm feeling good I can shoot 84 and feeling bad then it's 104.

I take anatabloc supplements for inflamation. They're expensive so I always hope they're snake oil, but I feel worse when I stop taking them. HE acid tablets for joint support and yoga for flexibility. My routine won't be your routine but I can say with certainty that if you work on your aches and pains then your golf will get better.

Tip Tap on my Samsung G4

My brother has been dealing with a hand/wrist issue when he starts his down swing he gets a pain in his hand it cause him to hit shots thin

I've resigned myself to the fact that I'm going to be dealing with some wrist pain for the rest of my life. The weird thing is I think it makes me focus more on the course and improves my game.

This is probably the wrong thing to say but are you using equipment which could be making things worse for you. Maybe there are clubs and set ups out there which could alleviate some of the issues, together with good medical help...?
wish you all the best...

This is probably the wrong thing to say but are you using equipment which could be making things worse for you. Maybe there are clubs and set ups out there which could alleviate some of the issues, together with good medical help...?
wish you all the best...
Yes but not golf equipment. It's hammers, nail guns, spackle knives, screw drivers etc. It's the equipment I usually daily doing my job. This year I've been busier than ever and working my toosh off. My wife says after 25 years it's time to hang the tool belt up and go on to working for someone else in a management type position. Working by oneself for so long it's hard to bag it and work for someone else away from the daily grind.
That being said I did just put on oversized Winns on my clubs about an hour ago to see if larger cusionier grips will help.

Back