Going for the Green on Par 5's = Not Smart

Legit question though, how many people actually practice their longer clubs other than driver? Cause I practice the hell out of mine.
I think a lot of guys/gals for get all about hitting or practicing with the fairways. I am like you, on the range those get hit more than the others because I know I will use both the 3 and 5W's several times during the round.

Legit question though, how many people actually practice their longer clubs other than driver? Cause I practice the hell out of mine.
There are not many better feelings on the practice tee than watching a missile launch off the face of my hybrids.

There are not many better feelings on the practice tee than watching a missile launch off the face of my hybrids.

Agreed. Nothing like getting a fairway wood to launch high and land soft from the turf.

Its always go time unless there is a substantial risk of penalty strokes from a miss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unless there is a lake or OB to consider, I'll go for a par-5 every time.

How long are the par-5s you usually encounter?

At my home course, they're 544, 530, 511, and 519 yds from the whites (~6300 yd). The only time I really have a legit shot to reach one in 2, unless I really smoke a drive, is when the 511 tee is moved up to the 466 tee box. 225 is about the max, realistically, for me on a second shot.

Last week at a different course, on a par-5 listed at 497, I had ~235 yds left to the pin after a 261-yd drive. It was 200 to a bunker removed short and left from the edge of the green, 210 to clear it, and 223 to the front edge. Should I hit a PW here?

While waiting for the green to clear, I got heckled by some random donkey driving by in a golf cart. "You'll never reach it from there!"

Unless there is a lake or OB to consider, I'll go for a par-5 every time.

I always hit it as far as possible on my first two Par 5 shots, although that's seldom far enough to actually reach the green. Only one of my home course's four Par 5's has water in front of the green requiring a layup. The other three have short grass all the way to the green with bunkers either front-left, front-right or both. No reason at all to lay up if a good second shot can reach and a mishit one just leaves me 20-30 yards short but in the fairway.

I'll sure make more birdies two-putting from five yards short of the green than I will laying up and hitting an 80-yard wedge shot close. Heck, even if I'm in a front bunker in two my expected score isn't much worse than hitting my third shot with a full wedge.

And of course there's no guarantee that a layup shot will be hit perfectly, either!

I always hit it as far as possible on my first two Par 5 shots, although that's seldom far enough to actually reach the green. Only one of my home course's four Par 5's has water in front of the green requiring a layup. The other three have short grass all the way to the green with bunkers either front-left, front-right or both. No reason at all to lay up if a good second shot can reach and a mishit one just leaves me 20-30 yards short but in the fairway.

I'll sure make more birdies two-putting from five yards short of the green than I will laying up and hitting an 80-yard wedge shot close. Heck, even if I'm in a front bunker in two my expected score isn't much worse than hitting my third shot with a full wedge.

And of course there's no guarantee that a layup shot will be hit perfectly, either!
Exactly! If I know I'm not going to go for a par-5 in 2, I'll hit a 4-iron, hybrid or 3w from the tee (anything that leaves me no more than a 5-iron layup to wedge distance). But usually, I'll try and bomb a driver to have a chance at eagle or 2-putt birdie. If I miss the green on my 2nd shot, I'll accept pretty much any bunker shot or a play from the rough, pretty much guaranteeing a chance for a birdie and no worse than par.

Introduce high elements of risk though, and I'll revert back to best option to leave a wedge 3rd shot.

I've eagled 2 par-3's and 6 par-4's in my life; the other 100+ eagles have all been on par-5's (and precious few of those were hole-outs from a full wedge shot).

I'll say this. There are a handful of times per round where I both could and SHOULD execute a makable shot but don't. So if you want to channel your internal Roy McAvoy, do it.

So there was a par 5 that I recently played... 250 to the water... if I caught it good maybe I clear if it doesnt carry (more likely) then I am wet. so decided 3w 3w would leave me a nice chip and putt scenario and I would be closer on three with a dry ball vs. trying to hit up and over with a possible wet ball all down the side.

Biggest changes this year... risk reward and course management. Where is the good miss? Is it worth a duff because I tried to go for two and hit a bad shot?

If you chose to layup after a good tee-shot would you have actually gotten them to better spots than when you were forced to layup?
To answer your question, I guess forced layup would have to be defined as there being no reasonable possibility of reaching. And having a choice would mean there's a more reasonable chance. Would you say that's accurate? On the par 5 that I took the sample from, it would be more of a position thing than distance. If I have to shape a shot to get it around a tree, or if it landed on the rough on downslope, that could be defined as a forced layup in my game.

So I think you're asking if I'm on a nice level fairway lie with a 200 yard straight line to the green for my second shot, would I be better pulling my longest club, or using two wedge shots (as an example) to get there?

Not sure I've ever considered the second option in that scenario. Hmmm, not sure now that I think about it. For the pure enjoyment of the game, there has to be some risk involved. Plus, it isn't like I've never duffed a wedge shot or shanked one out of bounds.

Since this particular green isn't real tight or well protected, I have to believe pulling the longest club will save strokes, even at my level.

I think this is definitely true if there's trouble like hazards or OB around the green. But if a miss isn't too penal, doesn't it make sense to be pitching or chipping vs. trying to hit a full shot?

Most greens on the courses I play have some elevation around the greens which would produce some rather difficult chip shots. It comes down to course management. I would rather hit a 100 yard approach from the fairway or relatively flat rough just off the fairway than risk chipping or pitching from an uneven or awkward lie.

Most greens on the courses I play have some elevation around the greens which would produce some rather difficult chip shots. It comes down to course management. I would rather hit a 100 yard approach from the fairway or relatively flat rough just off the fairway than risk chipping or pitching from an uneven or awkward lie.

But how often do you just get that awkward chip after missing the green from 100? It’s probably more often than you think.

To answer your question, I guess forced layup would have to be defined as there being no reasonable possibility of reaching. And having a choice would mean there's a more reasonable chance. Would you say that's accurate? On the par 5 that I took the sample from, it would be more of a position thing than distance. If I have to shape a shot to get it around a tree, or if it landed on the rough on downslope, that could be defined as a forced layup in my game.

So I think you're asking if I'm on a nice level fairway lie with a 200 yard straight line to the green for my second shot, would I be better pulling my longest club, or using two wedge shots (as an example) to get there?

Not sure I've ever considered the second option in that scenario. Hmmm, not sure now that I think about it. For the pure enjoyment of the game, there has to be some risk involved. Plus, it isn't like I've never duffed a wedge shot or shanked one out of bounds.

Since this particular green isn't real tight or well protected, I have to believe pulling the longest club will save strokes, even at my level.

I was mostly getting at what your typical results from you’re forced layups were like. I also only lay up if I have too, but more often than not, I still had a wedge from the fairway after my layup. Since I figured I wouldn’t do any better choosing to layup from 200-250 in the light rough/fairway, I felt my average score on those forced layup holes would basically be the same as my average scores if I started laying up from everywhere.

I took probably the lowest probably shot of the year trying to hit a par 5 in two. I was 235 from the front of the green and it’s all carry over well placed bunkers. Green is also protected by bunkers on both sides. Cracked a 3W and landed just on the fringe and rolling out onto the back half of the green. If I have a chance to get there in two without serious risk of a penalty I’ll usually take those odds.

Kinda sorta had this scenario. Playing a par 5, put it in a pot bunker off the tee. Who builds those off a fairway, I don't know. Anyway, terrible lie, even more terrible contact. Left myself 240 out to a back pin. Lay up? Or go for it?

16ft for birdie later... 🤷‍♂️

I inadvertently went for it in two a couple of months ago. There is a short par 5 that follows a long par four at our course, we keep trying to convince the club to reverse pars on them but it hasn't happened. The par four is a 460 yard dogleg left and the par five is 450 straight ahead but usually into the wind. I came off an infrequent par on the par four and hit a dreaded straight ball a bit further than my usual fade off the tee on the par 5. I was feeling pretty good about par on the last hole that I usually bogey or worse and thought I would jump on my 3w and go for it in two. Right then my newest mantra played in my head, "Leave your bad decisions for the golf course" (I like Amanda)
I grabbed my 7w or I should say I thought I did. It will usually leave me with about 60 yards from my normal drive. Swing the club nice and smooth and the ball hits just in front of the green and one hops onto the dance floor. I looked down and only then did I realize I had grabbed my 3w by mistake. I missed a long eagle putt but made the birdie.

I'm not reaching any Par 5s in 2 unless I really have some helping wind anyway. But if I see anything 220 or less, even if I have 280. I'm swinging my 2Hybrid and sending it just to have a shorter 3rd shot. I've tried the "Laying up to a number" with like a 7iron or whatever, makes no difference to me. Give me the shorter wedge.

I’ve had two hero shots into par 5’s in my last two rounds. They were the shots of the day in both rounds. Sliced (reeaaaallly sliced) my drive and had a blind shot over hazard and trees from 230. Can’t go long so I took a 5i and left it just short of the green. And the second one was my third shot thanks to a pull/hook drive and darn good punch. Took a 3h from 250 with 220 carry over hazard and pulled it a tiny bit, but left it pin high and nearly got up and down for par.

The way I’ve been striking the ball recently (not off the tee 😖) has afforded me the ability to take a shot at par 5’s in two, which is awesome!

I must be doing something wrong. Last round I played the Par 5's at 4.25 average score. Birdied 3 of the 4 par 5's. 2 of which I went for in 2: 232 yard 3h from the next door fairway ( big push on the drive ) on the first one and 5i from 190 yards to 10 feet on the 2nd.

One of the best players I know explained it to me this way. If you score better laying up to 90 yards on Par 5's than you do going for the green or as close as possible in two, then you need to work on your chipping, pitching and bunker shots.

I feel confident going for it with a long iron or fairway wood. Even if there is a hazard around the green I'm more than likely going for it unless I'm in a competitive round and there is no need based on where I stand in the match. The last round I played, I went for the green in two 3 out of 4 times. I hit the green twice and the other I hit it on line, it just went over the green.

If you can hit your long irons or fairways well, then I don't know why you would lay up.

...most of the time.

I don't care what TOUR data suggests. All I know is when me and my playing partners try to go for a green in two on par-5's, we hit that green once in 15 tries. It's not worth it.

Lay up.

It's worth it that one time - so I'm gonna try EVERY time!!!:cool:

Back