Going to the range

TCB2010

How good do the HMB’s look?!
Reaction score
So you get there, setup your bag, where do you start?
Wedge through driver?
Driver through wedge?
8-9 iron down to wedge then driver?

For me I usually start with PW or 9 iron, then 8, then 7, then I work my wedges, then my driver. I don’t hit range with my 3 wood or hybrids.

Tonight I did something different, started with my wedges and just felt completely off.

What do you do?

I hit 3 with every club wedge-driver. Then i start playing with under 100 yd shots with wedges on down. Adjusting ball placement, swing length (face of clock) and see what works. What can i hit high, low for different distances. Then leave 3 more shots to end with driver. Helps keep short game good and everything else stable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PW or 7i➡Wedges➡up through irons➡hybrids➡3W➡Driver

7 iron first, then 3w and driver. Then a few wedges and move to putting green for most of my time before the round.

At this time, PW for quite a lot of swings, until I can swing full speed and be in control.
Then I'll work my way up the bag. Usually don't hit driver at the range. 3w as far as I can hit it is usually all I want when working on thre range.
Then I'll finish up with a few 58° and finally back to the PW to wrap up.

I nearly always start with SW (54*) 1/2 to 3/4 shots, maybe a dozen. I just want to make good, square contact with easy tempo. Then most days I warm up working through the bag PW, 8, 6, 4 or 9, 7, 5. After that depends on what I want to work on. Some days I spend time with only wedges, others driver, and others I might only hit one iron. I was on gcquad today (rain) and worked through the full bag checking distances.

Most of this year my range time has been about comparing clubs or balls, but my actual practice routine is usually evolving based on what I feel I need to work on most. I've gone less is more at the range so I try to be smarter and limit swings. If it's early and I'm sore I'll hit a few easy driver shots to get loose and then maybe work on high fades for a bit, then move to 6 iron. If it's midday and I've been working I go straight for a 6 iron, get loose, and start working my shot tree. Then I'll typically move to a long club. 2 or 4 iron or 3W off the deck. Then to driver and work on low spin liners and high fades. And I finish with some wedge work. Hit the basket and then attack a 100 yard pin. If I have the time and body for it I'll fill in those gaps with some specific shots I want to work on. Punch cuts, real high draws, stingers, etc.

I haven't been using the range before rounds, but if I am getting a warmup, I start the same and as soon as I've grooved a couple 6s I start rehearsing the upcoming holes in reverse order and finish with the exact shot I'm going to start with.

Last edited:
I start with my 60 * then to 52,9,7, 5 hitting 5-7 shots with each. Then use the remaining clubs in the bag. Once I complete the bag I work on hitting left right right to lefts day then high ,medium and low shots

I tend to hit at least half my bucket of 60, 56 and 50 working on partial and full swings. Practicing contact and getting a full turn through the ball. Then I'll go up the irons in order, hitting half a dozen at least until I get to the 7 and 6 where I spend a bit more time as they're the ones I struggle most with.

I rarely hit the driver at the range, for some reason I have real trouble visualising a shot with it, and the big fat rubber tees really put me off. I need to do that though, sooner rather than later to try and tame the high rights that are creeping into the swing.

I usually start with my 4i which need some swings to get going, then every other club feels a little easier to hit after that. I finish with spoon and driver which I can't hit anyway.

I will usually start with a wedge (PW/50/54) hitting partial shots and building up to a full swing while I loosen up, then I will jump around between different clubs, hitting a couple shots with each club

If I am working on something specific I will stick with a single club (usually a mid-iron) for a while to get the feel of what I want
If I am warming up before a round, I will finish by hitting a couple of shots with the clubs I will likely use on the first hole

It depends on what I am trying to accomplish. Usually I hit a few PWs just to warm up then if I am practicing as if I am playing a round, I will start as if I am on the first hole with driver, then possibly 7 iron, then 8 or 9 iron to green.

Next hole is a par 3 6 iron off the tee, next hole is 5 wood off the tee to corner of dogleg and so on it goes. If I am working on a certain swing issue it may be mostly iron practice where I might go 9 iron, 7 iron, and 5 iron. It may be a driver and woods practice session where mostly driver is hit.

often times i will just bring one or two clubs. but at my new club, ive just been bringing the whole bag. usually I start out hitting 50-60y shots with my 56*. then i'll start with full swing mid-irons, then usually drives. sometimes i get a wild hair to only hit one club in a session, often a club i don't hit often or i've been struggling with. but i don't really have a set routine to anything.

Depends on the time I have, with a half bucket, I start with chips, then move on to full wedge, then 7, then 5 or 4i and then driver before putting and playing. If it's only range time, I'm working on problem shots I had the last time I played.

I start with 3/4 sand wedge shots, then go to PW, 8i, 6i, hybrid, fw, driver. The next time I hit my odd number irons. After hitting I would go over to the green next to the practice area and work on my short game.

I usually start with a pw or a 9 iron, and work my way through the bag. Though lately I have been limiting my range time, and going with only a few clubs at a time. E.g. today I am only bringing my new driver. last week I only brought 3w, hybrid, 4i.

If the range session is a pre-round warmup, I usually bring gap wedge, 7i, 5H or 5W and driver. Start off with a few easy half swings with the gap wedge and work my way up to a full swing, then work my way up through the other clubs just to get a feel for impact and see what ball flight I brought to the course that day. I like ending on a couple decent driver shots before heading to the tee. If I'm running late and don't have much time, I'll just take gap wedge and driver.

If it's a full range session, it depends on what I want to work on that day. Sometimes I'll work my way through the entire bag, sometimes I'll focus on an individual club. I'll work through the bucket doing whatever I'm doing, then go to the short game area and spend some time on chipping and putting. Pretty much every range session will involve some short game work because that can always use improvement.

between the 3 wood and 3 different hybrids, i use them in total maybe 3 times a round.

Wow, really? I mean, my 3wd has taken a backseat lately to the driver off the tee, but it still gets used a few times each round, I think. I'd have to look. Between my 3wd, 5wd, and 4h, though, I'd guess I have 8-10 shots each round. I probably don't each them all every time to the range, in fact, I'm sure I don't because I usually only carry one or two of them, but I still feel like I need some work with them occasionally. I feel like I can get an iron workout with 2 or 3 of them since they're all similar. Fairway woods and hybrids are so different from everything else though.

So I'm curious if you guys that start with your wedges (a lot of you), are using them to warm up, or actually work them? It seems like you're working on them, so if you are, are you fully loose when you do? I'm just asking because for some reason, and I have no idea why or lesson/coaching reason behind it, the idea of potentially working the scoring clubs before being loose seems odd to me. I don't rotate the same right off the bat, and I want those clubs to be as consistent as possible, so I work them at the end. Like I said, I have no argument for or against either, but it definitely feels contrary to my way of thinking. Is it something that is taught? I know I see videos where people warm up with them, but I wouldn't consider most of what I see in those as actual practice. I assumed they came back to them again later.

So I'm curious if you guys that start with your wedges (a lot of you), are using them to warm up, or actually work them? It seems like you're working on them, so if you are, are you fully loose when you do? I'm just asking because for some reason, and I have no idea why or lesson/coaching reason behind it, the idea of potentially working the scoring clubs before being loose seems odd to me. I don't rotate the same right off the bat, and I want those clubs to be as consistent as possible, so I work them at the end. Like I said, I have no argument for or against either, but it definitely feels contrary to my way of thinking. Is it something that is taught? I know I see videos where people warm up with them, but I wouldn't consider most of what I see in those as actual practice. I assumed they came back to them again later.
i believe in this, you need to be loose to work on scoring clubs, but i would not suggest starting with driver.. i stretch and just swing my driver to loosen up before range, then start with say 9 iron.

Depends on what I want to focus on, but when I dont have anything specific in mind I set up my alignment sticks and work on swing path and plane because those are big issues for me. This may seem like overkill, but its how my brain works that allows me to focus. I work through the bag this way:
  • 5 balls each:
    • 54*, PW, 8i, 6i, 5w, driver. Then back down the bag 3w, heavenwood, 7i, 9i, AW, 58*
  • 3 balls off a tee:
    • 8i, heavenwood, 5w, 3w
  • 5 balls opening the face, bumps, half & 3/4 swings
    • 54*, 58*
  • Then I finish pretending to play a par 5 and par 3 from my home course
  • Then I move to the putting green for a while working on takeaway and alignment
  • If time allows I'll head over and work on various chips, bumps, and bunker shots (I'm more comfortable with these so I don't spend as much time on them unless I know I'm in a real funk)

I always start with a 8, 9, or pw. Till warm, then go to what I planned on working on that day. I always try to go to the range with a plan. I also almost go to the range daily.

i believe in this, you need to be loose to work on scoring clubs, but i would not suggest starting with driver.. i stretch and just swing my driver to loosen up before range, then start with say 9 iron.
I just use it as the fastest way to get the blood flowing and get over contact issues. Takes me a couple to get over the 'this might hurt(s)' when I'm at the range. Same if I'm already pretty loose and start with a 6. If there's nothing on the line I'll practically shank the first couple trying to get my mind and body on the same page of what we're doing and why. Getting hurt swinging last summer has had lingering mental effects.

Back