Golf advertisements that amuse/frighten/confuse.

Elbow Jobertski

Reaction score
Handicap
For those that watch too much golf channel or are slow on the "skip ad" button on youtube...

The example that is killing me in the sense it keeps popping in my head is the square strike wedge. I don't have any problem with the merit of the equipment even though it is basically a chipper and nothing new, but one part of the ad just hits my ear in an absurd way.

I don't recall the exact words but something like: "you need to chip, but you might stub a wedge and if you pull the putter your buddies will tease you."

I mean, if you are playing with the types that would tease you for using a putter off the green (a) you need new friends and (b) I'm not sure buying a gimmicky club you saw on TV is going to result in greater respect. Maybe the opposite.

I have no idea why this is renting space in my head. But there it is.

I don't watch commercials, or ads of any kind. Golf included. I just think most commercials are really short on credibility. They don't offer the full story. I don't believe nothing is ever as good as it's advertised.

I may sit through them, but as soon as they are over, I don't remember what was advertised.

If I need info on something I'm thinking of purchasing, I will do my own investigation into the item. If possible, test the item out against my satisfaction level.

I do have to say I'm not totally oblivious to advertisements. Some of those Christmas commercials similar to the one involving the Lab Puppy, and Clydesdale Horses are entertaining.

Perhaps golf equipment advertisements could go to something similar. Say using a Cheetah, and a Desert Tortoise.......ooops. I'm rambling. My apologies.....lol

I mean, if you are playing with the types that would tease you for using a putter off the green (a) you need new friends and (b) I'm not sure buying a gimmicky club you saw on TV is going to result in greater respect. Maybe the opposite.
100%. I've thought that every time I've seen it.

The Dustin Johnson one where he “visualizes” a dogleg par 4 before he hits a hole in one is cringyyyyyy. Is like he is crunching numbers while it looks like he has absolutely nothing going on up there lol.

For those that watch too much golf channel or are slow on the "skip ad" button on youtube...

The example that is killing me in the sense it keeps popping in my head is the square strike wedge. I don't have any problem with the merit of the equipment even though it is basically a chipper and nothing new, but one part of the ad just hits my ear in an absurd way.

I don't recall the exact words but something like: "you need to chip, but you might stub a wedge and if you pull the putter your buddies will tease you."

I have no idea why this is renting space in my head. But there it is.
I always snort at that one. "Break out that putter and your buddies are gonna have a field day!". My golfing buddies couldn't care less what club anybody hits from where, and if anybody said anything about it I'd tell them to worry about their own game instead of mine. Silly way to try to use peer pressure as a way to sell their gimmick club.

The Dustin Johnson one where he “visualizes” a dogleg par 4 before he hits a hole in one is cringyyyyyy. Is like he is crunching numbers while it looks like he has absolutely nothing going on up there lol.
The only thing accurate about that commercial is how little emotion DJ shows when he scores the ace. He still just has that vacant, stoned facial expression.

The other one is that S7K putter - the one that stands up on its own while you walk around it and make sure it's lined up right. I'm thinking a golfer would probably be beaten severely about the head and shoulders if he went through that arduous, excruciatingly slow routine for every putt.

What was that one commercial for the driver that really just seemed like it was actually a 3 wood? GX7 or something? That one always annoyed me because the impact sound was so much louder or more prominent than the rest of the sound in the commercial and I was always right on the cusp of a nap and hearing that impact sound over and over jarred me out of my doze. :mad::LOL:

What was that one commercial for the driver that really just seemed like it was actually a 3 wood? GX7 or something? That one always annoyed me because the impact sound was so much louder or more prominent than the rest of the sound in the commercial and I was always right on the cusp of a nap and hearing that impact sound over and over jarred me out of my doze. :mad::LOL:

A buddy of mine actually bought one of those! And man did it sound weird when he hit it!

Back