Golf around Chicago

Drumdog

Drummin' for golf
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 7.1
The wife and I are making a trip to Chicago for her birthday in 2 weeks.
We want to play some golf but we don't want to pay Whistling Straits prices.
Any suggestions ?

On another note for that trip.
What is it like to drive in and around Chicago? We've never been there and don't have a clue.
We are flying in to O'Hare and then eventually will be driving up to Green Bay to see my Packers destroy the Bills.

Thanks for any tips !

Golf around Chicago

Try Shepherds Crook in Zion. Near the border and just of the expressway. Thunderhawk is good too!

Last edited:
Where are you staying?

Driving around Chicago is... fun... Be prepared for traffic at inexplicable times, and plan for plenty if extra time if you have a schedule to keep. It seems to have only gotten worse since we have left.

We haven't booked a hotel yet, but we would like to stay somewhere near downtown to see the sights.

The wife and I are making a trip to Chicago for her birthday in 2 weeks.
We want to play some golf but we don't want to pay Whistling Straits prices.
Any suggestions ?

On another note for that trip.
What is it like to drive in and around Chicago? We've never been there and don't have a clue.
We are flying in to O'Hare and then eventually will be driving up to Green Bay to see my Packers destroy the Bills.

Thanks for any tips !

Traffic in Chicago is on par with, if not the worst in the US. Parking in the downtown areas will cost you upwards of $60-75 for 24 hours. My recommendation is to skip renting a car, and use your feet (it's a great walking town, with great mass transit options.)

As for golf, there really isn't much that's great inside the city, but Waveland (has a new name, but you can still find it by searching Waveland) and Jackson Park are decent city courses. Waveland is only 9 holes, and plays slow.

If you're willing to uber to the far south side (think 111th street) I highly recommend Harborside. It's a really great 36 hole links style course that I always make a point to play when I visit Chicago.

Keep in mind that most of the good golf is in the suburbs, and if you rent a car, plan to add several hours to your day in driving time.

Harborside from above

AX0002_103-00003.jpg

There is a lot of great golf, but most golf is outside of the city. There are some nicer courses in the area, but can be up near the $100+ a round mark. If you head north 25+ miles there is Shepherd's Crook, Thunderhawk, Stonewall Orchard, and White Deer Run. Out west you have Highlands of Elgin and Blackstone. All are excellent options.

I know there are a few south of the city, but I don't know those as well since I'm north of the city.

As for driving in Chicago... In my opinion, it's insane. Lane's are optional. Taxis and buses go where they please. People don't use turn signals. I like taking the train if I ever need to go down there. But if you're staying downtown and plan to travel for golf and whatever else, you'll need a car. Parking can be extremely expensive. Staying just outside of the city and using SpotHero app to find a spot downtown might be a good option.

But good advice for driving down there is to be patient and plan for more time than a GPS might say. Also watch out for red light cameras. If there's a sporting event or any other event going on, it might be even crazier.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

If it were me I would consider staying outside of the city near a Metra line. Take metra into the city for site seeing and use public trans, taxi, Uber while in the city.

Your hotel will be cheaper, parking will be cheaper or free. Traffic might be an issue but it’s not going to be as bad as in the city.

Golf recommendations ... Cog Hill, Highlands of Elgin, Harborside, The Glen Club are all good to very good but all would require a car.

Driving in the city is crowded, but livable; finding parking can be miserable and expensive though. Best to park your car for the day at the hotel for sightseeing and Uber/taxi around the city.

Driving in Chicago is not as bad as DC, LA, or NYC, but traffic can be bad. There are lots of fun courses within an easy Uber. Harborside is definitely the best. They have two great 18 hole courses. South Shore is a fun, cheap 9 hole course about 20 min from downtown. The golf isn’t anything special, but it’s right on the lake (it’s half of the location of the new Tiger Woods course that’s being designed).

There are a ton of great courses 30-40 min out of the City. I’d look at Cog Hill, Cantigny, and the Glen Club.

On an unrelated note, many Chicago hotels are on strike. This may not be an issue for you, but it’s causing delays and some general disruption.

I live (and golf a lot!) in the area, so feel free to DM me with any questions.

Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am driving in Chicago on a daily basis and it’s not for the faint of heart traffic sucks people are crazy and you will witness things on the roads that will blow your mind if you stay in the city walk as much as you can don’t drive lol the golf options are awesome love stonewall orchard and thunder hawk myself but they are north of the city good luck in the city

Haven't lived in the Chicago area since '91 but one of our favorites used to be Pine Meadow in Mundelein. It was a terrific layout and was always in great shape. Does that still hold true? It would be on the way up North heading toward Wisconsin and Green Bay.

... All the course mentioned are great options. I would definitely stay in the Near North as it is a wonderful experience especially this time of year when you can walk to some of the best restaurants in the country. If you do stay in the Near North, use Park Whiz instead of hotel parking. You can get some great deals even if you have to walk a little from lot to hotel.

https://www.parkwhiz.com/p/chicago-parking/map/?view=map

Driving in Chicago is not as bad as DC, LA, or NYC, but traffic can be bad.

:laughing:

Chicago is the only city in the US with 24 hour grid lock.

Dan Ryan at 3am? Grid lock

Edens at mid night? Grid lock.

290 on a quiet sunday morning? Grid lock.

Rush hour traffic may as well go backwards.

I'll echo what others have said. If you're staying downtown, I would take the train there or uber. Parking downtown just isn't worth it.

That severely limits golfing options though.

Wherever you decide to play, be prepared for an all day affair, between allowing for plenty if time to get there, and getting stuck coming home.

Harborside courses are both worthwhile, around 100 bucks.
If you're willing to drive to Harborside, consider going to Hammond and visiting Lost Marsh instead. Great course that is a challenging starting 5 holes for a much better value.

Marovitz is the 9 hole course on the lake (mentioned as Waveland in previous posts). Holes that play right on the shore of the Lake. They have done a lot of renovation work since I moved 4 years ago. All the bunkers have been redone. A great 9, but be prepared for slow pace of play.

Cog Hill is great. Again, quite a drive from downtown.

Overall, I spent 10 out of 11 years in Chicago without a car, and, other than the difficulty of getting to golf courses, it was so worth not having one.

If you are looking for some value I would suggest, Mt. Prospect Golf Club, Ravisloe (Ross) and Highlands of Elgin. If you want to climb near or into 3 digits, Cog Hill #4, or Harborside. (views are worth the price of admission at HS, unique golf setting with the skyline backdrop)

Harborside from above

AX0002_103-00003.jpg

Wow. I remember that course when I use to leave in chicago. Wonder that white and red chimney is still there. When I was there they only had trailer park as club house. They only had 18 holes. They have 36 now? Awesome course to play as long as it’s not windy. Watch out for the winds. It’s brutal.

Thank you all for the tips.
We are really looking forward to the trip.
My wife has wanted to visit Chicago for years.

It's a great town for a lot of different things. Golf is wonderful, but make sure to see the lake front and give yourself a bunch of time to wander.
Thank you all for the tips.
We are really looking forward to the trip.
My wife has wanted to visit Chicago for years.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Back