Golf Bag Travel - 50 lb. Limit

IceyShanks

NiceyThanks
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
As I was cleaning out my golf bag last night I started to prep for next months event, before I fly with my clubs I always take out a handful of stuff and I was curious what other people might remove from their normal setup/bag before they travel.

For me it's usually extra weather related clothing, gloves, sleeves, hats, jackets, etc. But the umbrella usually makes the trip.

The Orange Whip for sure isn't taken, and sometimes the speaker get's moved from my golf bag to my backpack.

What do you all take out or move around???

I've only traveled once with my bag, but I removed everything except the clubs, a couple sleeves of balls, and my brush. The golf towel was used to wrap up the head of my driver. My range finder and speaker were moved to my backpack. I bought a divot tool/ball marker at the golf course (as usual) and that was about all I needed.

Balls are something I am ok buying when I land if weight is an issue. I usually have room in my carry on if needed for my range finder but I walk most of the time so my set-up is fairly light anyway.

I usually don't have a ton in my bag, so don't have to take much out. I'll usually put the balls and rangefinder in my carry on, as well as take extra torque wrenches out.

I'll usually put my shoes in the bag for the trip, and sometimes stuff a jacket or two in there to take advantage of the extra space. Usually my bag comes in at around 35-40lbs, so I've usually got a little headroom to put jackets and such in there.

I tend to end up packing some other things in my golf travel bag if I am not checking anything else. Some shoes, toiletries, stuff like that, and on the way home usually the bag of dirty laundry. Golf balls I'll throw in my travel bag or backpack.

The only time weight was an issue was the last Morgan Cup. Flew home with a staff bag and 28 clubs. Along with some extras, the weight was 50 on nose.

last time I flew I didn't take anything out, and actually put both pairs of shoes and some extra towels/clothes in with it and it was still under 50lbs.

My bag stays the same toss in some balls and 2 pairs of shoes and will still end up in the 30s weight wise

Theres been a couple times i was real worried about the weight of the travel bag but yet its always around 35lbs

I really don't carry a lot in my golf bag unless it's winter time, so my bag stays pretty much the same as when I'm not traveling.
I do try to clean things up a bit by making sure all my tees are in the tee bag and that I'm not carrying any junk balls that I'd
normally pull out and hit into the range before my normal Sunday morning round.

Sadly, my new golf bag doesn't fit in my travel case, so I always have to revert to my old ratty Ping bag to travel so until I come
up with a new travel case, there's always going to be a lot of switching around to do.

Crap. I need to buy a travel bag. Mine bit the dust.

Balls are something I am ok buying when I land if weight is an issue. I usually have room in my carry on if needed for my range finder but I walk most of the time so my set-up is fairly light anyway.
I usually do the same thing with balls as well.

I also usually take out my backup battery pack.

I put all the shoes, balls and enough clothes in my carry on so that I can play with rentals if they loose the clubs. Normally take the heads off all the adjustable clubs and put those in my carry on. Might give ship sticks a try next time. If I am going to only play one round somewhere where I am not going to golf I just use rentals and take shoes/balls ect.

I added a ton of stuff to my bag and travel bag every time I have traveled with clubs. I keep my bag pretty minimal day to day. "anybody got a tee?"

I've never had any issue with weight with what I have in the bag. I still take out excess balls, but I don't really need to. Always add shoes, extra padding, etc.

I do take clubheads off where applicable, and take those and rangefinder/gps in my carry on.

I take my bag as normal plus golf shoes & rain jacket and a fleece. I also generally pack a regular pair of shoes as well. It's usually in the low 40# range. I'm lucky as I have a 70# limit so I don't really have to sweat it.

I've never had any issue with weight with what I have in the bag. I still take out excess balls, but I don't really need to. Always add shoes, extra padding, etc.

I do take clubheads off where applicable, and take those and rangefinder/gps in my carry on.

50lbs is hard to achieve unless you're carrying around Rodney Dangerfield's Caddyshack bag. If you are worried just leave a little room in your other checked bag for balls, shoes, etc....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have no problem staying under the 50 lb weight limit with my bag. I have packed pretty much everything in it for a weekend. Our last trip I even put a 12 lb port-a-crib in the travel bag and was still under the weight.

I keep the same stuff in my bag, but ADD to the travel bag. Usually 1-2 doz golf balls, depending on the number of rounds, maybe an umbrella and always a jacket gets added. Shoes, an extra towel and glove.
Breakable stuff goes in my carry on.

With my shoes, balls, and rangefinder my bag normally comes in around 45 pounds so I normally can pack swim suits and other clothes items in my Club Glove and still be under the weight limit.

This is why I am happy I switched to the Sun Mountain ClubGlider Journey bag versus my Ogio Monster. The Ogio was awesome but man was it heavy as ****.

Last edited:
The last couple of times I have traveled with my bag, it has come out right around 45 lbs. with everything in it and shoes in the bag. If I think I am close, I will move the golf balls to my carry on.

I usually don't have a ton in my bag, so don't have to take much out. I'll usually put the balls and rangefinder in my carry on, as well as take extra torque wrenches out.

I'll usually put my shoes in the bag for the trip, and sometimes stuff a jacket or two in there to take advantage of the extra space. Usually my bag comes in at around 35-40lbs, so I've usually got a little headroom to put jackets and such in there.
This is me, more or less. The electronics goes into my carry on and heavy stuff like shoes and jackets (and purses if the wife is traveling with me) go into the carry on. All that stuff is good for protecting the clubs anyway. I've never had a bag go over 50lbs.

This is why I am happy I switched to the Sun Mountain Meridian bag versus my Ogio Monster. The Ogio was awesome but man was it heavy as ****.
Maybe that's part of my problem with the Ogio Straight Jacket, I always seem to be close on the weight line, so I take stuff out!

I keep it pretty minimalist because I use a heavy old hard case. Bag with clubs, 12 golf balls (or whatever is in there), small valuables bag and shoes and umbrella. That's all the stuff that goes in the travel bag. Any other wet weather gear, extra shoes etc. I try to pack in my regular luggage.

JM

Back