Golf Bag - Why did you buy your one?

ABSGolf

Reaction score
Hey THP Community,

It's funny how a new release or product, gets you thinking about purchases, so I wanted to kick off the conversation.

Golf Bags - Why did you buy the one you use? What's the reason you bought the golf bag you did?

The reason I ask this question is that we can get all the marketing material around clubs - More Distance, More Forgiveness, Pro Endorsements etc. But, when it comes to buying the bag, where do you start?

Last March, I had to buy a new bag - my old Wilson one, was starting to look really tatty, and fall apart, the dividers weren't firm enough and were collapsing.

When I bought that bag it was around £50, and I thought it would be easy to do that. But finding a decent bag became quite the quest, where I settled on a Honma Stand Bag for £99.99 in a sale. (I got a good deal on an ebay store and I had some discounts to apply) (https://www.americangolf.co.uk/gps-.../honma-mole-lite-caddie-stand-bag-351056.html)

Don't get me wrong, I love my bag - it's a lovely size, plenty of pockets and aesthetically it's great, the hood is also really big so covers all my clubs - even the driver headcovers without issues.

After rekitting the bag this month, with Lynx Golf - conveniently they released the new Predator bag (https://lynxgolf.co.uk/collections/stand-bags/products/new-predator-stand-bag?variant=38050023506098) for just £59! £49, with a referral, of which I can provide if someone does buy one - let me know.

There's also a part of me that wants the matching bag as Driver / Irons / Wedges are now all Lynx, but I still don't think it's a need for me.

But that's where it got me thinking, what's really the difference with bags? Yes, I would have bought the Lynx one had it been available a year before, as it feels the best for value on price-point.

I am really happy with the Honma one - the styling, the pockets and comfort is a win.

So, here I am - finding out why do you buy your bag? Do you have multiple bags? If so, why?

For me, my original criteria was price - and price only, as many bags offer the same thing - Stand, multi dividers and pockets etc.

I had a 25% off coupon to burn and wanted a good stand bag. Only dislike is its a bit heavy at 6.5lbs.

I have multiple bags. But the one I use the most is my 2016 Sun Mountain Three5.

At the time I purchased it for a few reasons.

1)I have enjoyed SM bags in the past
2)I liked their EZ Fit stap system
3)4 way divider is my preference
4)light and comfortable to carry

In my buildup to walking Bethpage, I tested a few of the bags that I currently had. At the time I had two Callaway bags that outside of sentimental purposes, wouldn't normally be in play. I ended up using a pushcart after testing 3-4 of my carry bags. But in that buildup, I knew what I was focusing on, and that list is above. I do wish it had a better water bottle holder, similar to that on the Hoofer or FlexTech bags. Something a bit deeper that gives some sort of insulated sleeve.

I also wanted a bag that didn't feature a major OEM logo on it. At the time, I was traveling a bit for THP and I always found it somewhat uncomfortable to play with company A, while my bag is sporting logos for a competitor. That was just my line of thinking on it at least.

Aesthetic.

Honestly, that's the main reason. Features are a close second within that, but the basic function of a bag is to hold clubs and other things, which isn't that hard. So I want it to look how I want it to look. That's the overwhelming driver of perception for a container. My bags look nice.

On the function side I love the magnetic pockets, zipper designs, cart strap sleeves, and rain hoods. They're comfortable to carry, sit well, and hold things very conveniently. That's about it.

On the practical side, poly collected Nebraska dust everywhere it went, and can't be wiped down like my nicer ones. It also frayed when rubbed and generally drove me insane after a while. I wanted something nicer that I could have for a long time.

Last edited:
Pretty easy how I ended up with both of mine

At the store they had an offer on whereby if you bought an electric trolley over a certain price, you got a choice of a free carry bag from a selection of various bags, so I got a free Taylormade bag because of that

But also, at the time, when you bought the Powakaddy trolley and registered it with Powakaddy, you qualified for a free trolley bag - however, due to an administrative mix up at their end I didn't receive the bag within the expected timeframe, and when I queried it, they could see my registration but couldn't understand how it had been missed and because they had subsequently ran out of stock of the one I had requested, they bumped it up to the next model up and sent me that one instead

All in, I would say I did quite well out of that one purchase despite the initial problem with the Powakaddy bag delivery but it was quickly sorted and dealt with by the customer service department

Mine was a combination of ticking all the right boxes and price. I've seen lots of bags that look great, but they lack certain features. With most of them, I dislike the way they arrange the top dividers. Sometimes it's the arrangement or design of the pockets and pouches. The Maxfli 4.0 seemed to get it all right, and I believe GG had them on sale at the time.

My Wife bought the same bag, just in different colors.

BagBoy Chiller hybrid stand bag.
I either ride or use my push cart, but I still prefer stand bags.
1. I already had a BagBoy cart so the Top Lok feature makes the bag fit it perfectly
2. It has 14 slots
3. It fits better on carts than regular stand bags
4. It was on sale

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use a Sun Mountain Four 5. A few factors into why I chose this one;

- Good experience with Sun Mountain products in the past
- 14-way top is my preference
- Light enough to carry and cart strap slot for when I ride

There are a few reasons I picked the bag I have now.

My previous bag is a TaylorMade. I got it free from a coworker. There's nothing wrong with it. My son was interested in golf and I got him some clubs. Those clubs needed a bag. I gave my son that bag.

I shopped online for a replacement bag. I liked the Bettinardi logo. I liked the color. I loved the price. I bought it. I have no intention of buying a Bettinardi product. There's nothing wrong with them and some of their putters are gorgeous. But I don't want one.

My bag was given to me.

Weight. I really enjoy walking and, depending on how my back is, carrying my own clubs whenever I can. I have a Sun Mountain 2.5, the lightest bag they make that has enough pockets for all my things. I have had several Sun Mountain bags.

C-130 five years ago and it still looks new. Heck of a bag...went with recommendations from here. Mizuno cart bag last year. Saw it at the clubhouse and immediately had to have it to hold my Mizzy clubs. One other no name stand bag for the range.

My old Ogio Kingpin bag was fraying, and the Cobra Ultralight bag got many great reviews here. Not flashy, 14 way divider, lots of pockets, light, last year's model, and 15% off at Budget Golf.

I'm very happy with the bag, although I wish it were just a little larger.

These are great replies so far - I agree with some of you about the importance of weight. That's made a big difference to being able to enjoy summer golf!

Ping Pioneer Cart Bag - Functionality and features were my first consideration, then aesthetics. My must haves were:

14 way full length dividers
Cooler pouch
Cart strap passthrough
Lots of well thought out storage

The only missing feature I would have liked it to have was some sort of club lock to prevent chatter, but that wasn’t a deal breaker for me.

I wanted a good looking cart bag with a roomy 4 way divider. The SM Tour Series does that... For carrying, I wanted a lightweight bag that had a comfortable harness. The LinkSouldier checks those boxes.

Bought my current bag due to sheer weight. I realized that I really liked carrying my clubs as that gave me time to think and I felt I played better. I had normally been a member of the #PushCartMafia but as I began to carry more I ended up really liking it. I still have my Titleist Hybrid with 14 dividers but I'll use that push carting or on the cart if I don't walk.

So in the end it was about the weight (3.5 lbs) and ability to have a few pockets to store things in.

I needed one and it was cheap on amazon, i really like it but want it to break so i can get another. 🤷‍♂️

Twas a present. Nice gesture, looks good, but not functional. Really considering a new bag...

Weight. I really enjoy walking and, depending on how my back is, carrying my own clubs whenever I can. I have a Sun Mountain 2.5, the lightest bag they make that has enough pockets for all my things. I have had several Sun Mountain bags.
I have the Sun Mountain 3.5. love the lightweight feel of it and it seems to hold up really well when I'm carrying.

For those looking for new bags - TGW.com has a "Walkers Sale" going on right now for the next two days.

This thread caught my eye because I'm in the market for a new bag and have been doing searches for a couple of weeks. My current bag is a nice Nike cart bag with a couple of features I like but it's gotten a tear or two and a stain on it plus it's grey and doesn't match my new cart.

I really like that it has an open pouch on the top front that isn't zippered. My Coolshot rangefinder sits perfectly in it with the strap hanging out. I can grab it and return it in seconds.

I also like a separate putter well.

The next thing is that I just bought a new Zip Navigator so now I want the biggest bag I can afford! Weight is no issue but I am looking for those features.

Looking most seriously at the Sun Mountain c130 right now.

I don't like all the chatter, so a 14 way or woode system (has chatter but not bad). Sun Mountain has been my goto with the 14way and have the 130S right now and love it. Main reason I went that version is for the range.

I ventured into a Bennington and it was outstanding, but so heavy and still have it. Weight doesn't bother me too much as can hoof it, but prefer the push cart. That one I wasn't carrying anywhere except to the range or cart.

I have a MNML bag. I was looking for something that I thought looked good and would be a good carry bag. I love it. It's pretty light and the magnetic pockets, speaker and solar charger are all great. The solar charger doesn't last forever and doesn't recharge itself if it is fully drained, but it's easy to pull it out and plug it in.

my carrying days are over and my bag with a stand is too tight for easy club removal when you put it on a pull cart, so I found a nice looking bag for cheap with dividers and am quite happy, it's generic.

Back