Golf bags - individual slots or communal?

Bryndom

2023 Grandaddy X!!!
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 15
I prefer a 14 slot bag...single spot for every club... it’s my OCD; but contemplating a smaller option for travel purposes. I hate the though of the clubs clattering or shafts rubbing, but realize a smaller travel option might be for the best.

What do you use and why?

All of my bags are 14 way top and I won't buy a bag without a dedicated putter well.
My Titleist 14 way stand bag is light, works great on my Clic-Gear and has plenty of storage.

I have a heavy, beat up 8 slot bag that I got when the set of clubs were handed down to me. Slowly upgrading (putter, 2 wedges, a 3/4 fairway wood and a driver) and the bag is low on the list. Maybe next year.

I'm all in on 14 slot bags with a big putter well. I like each club having its own slot and I know exactly where to reach in the bag almost without even looking.

I went from a 7 way to a 14 way bag, and it is much better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve tried several variations between 4, 5, 7 and 14. I prefer the 14.

That said, not all are the same. I just switched from a Sun Mountain CX1 to a new C130 and there are some subtle differences I didn’t notice until loading my clubs into the bag. I definitely appreciate the full length dividers though!

My carry bag is 4 way so communal. My cart bag is 14 way with a putter well.

I use the carry bag 99% of the time so my clubs are very friendly with each other

I’ve never used a 14 way bag but would be interested to try. As long as I can find an organizing scenario that makes sense I’m fine with less.

I like 14 slot, full length dividers. Hate the clubs getting clumped together in a 5 way or whatever

I dislike 14 ways.

I prefer 6 or less slots. Current bag has 3 slots which is perfect for organization.

Love the 14 way, but wish it had a putter well.

Love the 14 way, but wish it had a putter well.
The putter well was the only reason I got rid of my last C-130. It was still in great condition and probably would have lasted another 2 or 3 years, but it was an older model with a small putter well that didn't fit my oversize putter grip, so I had to use one of the regular club slots for it. Drove me nuts, I like my putter in a putter well, so I upgraded to a newer version with a bigger well.

I use a 5-way top. Putter gets one of the top openings all to itself. Organization and function work well enough. I push cart and carry. I have looked at some 14-way bags. If I find one I like that still worked for my needs, I might give it a try.

I loathe 14 way dividers. Give me a nice 4-way divider and I’m happy.

I used to use a small, vintage type, Sunday bag for many years that only had 3 dividers, which was normal back then. The edges of the grips were always getting damaged from jamming clubs in the bag. I had to put electrical tape to keep the grips from getting torn up. My new Ping Pioneer bag has 15 slots. The grips are now safe and I like the oversize putting well for my large grip putter.

I like 4 way as I prefer to walk. 14 are too heavy and just bang your clubs around more.

I prefer the 14 way top. My new titleist bag has a separate putter well also which I really like.

I like 4 way as I prefer to walk. 14 are too heavy and just bang your clubs around more.

How do your clubs bang around more in a 14?

How do your clubs bang around more in a 14?
14 ways have more space between clubs. So the clubs can each rotate more individually and bang against each other.

Honest question - is there anyone alive who wouldn't prefer individual slots for clubs?

My experience is that once you've had a 14 slot bag you aren't going back. Just my opinion.

Honest question - is there anyone alive who wouldn't prefer individual slots for clubs?

My experience is that once you've had a 14 slot bag you aren't going back. Just my opinion.
Apparently several people in his thread. Did you read it?

I've had both but don't think I'd go back to a communal slot bag.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Apparently several people in his thread. Did you read it?

Yep.

But you are correct that my personal viewpoint is not universal as I'd have guessed would be more likely. I shouldn't have made that assumption.

That's a bit of a surprise although I think it’s a different conversation if one is talking about a walking bag where the individual dividers might make for a heavier bag.

Last edited:
I prefer a 14 slot with putter well. Organization is why.

Back