Golf bags - individual slots or communal?

For me the fewer slots the better. I carry a Ping Moonlite and I wish it only had two openings instead of 5.

I’m currently torn on this. I have a SM cart bag with 14 slots and a putter we’ll.

However, I want to pick up a stand bag and trying to decide on 4-6 way versus 14-way. It will be used 99% if the time on a cart when I’m playing but will always be on the stand when I’m at the range.

I go back and forth between which would be better. One day I think 14-way since it’ll effectively be a cart bag with the convenience of a stand when I need it.

Other times I think a 5 or 6 way would be better since I wouldn’t have to make sure each club was going back into its exact slot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Individual: Sun Mountain C130. I like the individual full length dividers. One of the few 14 way bags with full length dividers.

Communal: Ogio SpecOps stand bag with the 8 way Woode top. This is a good compromise in that club tangle is non-existent.

I loathe 14 way dividers. Give me a nice 4-way divider and I’m happy.

Hey Jman - that seems like a contrarian take - curious as to why?

Hey Jman - that seems like a contrarian take - curious as to why?
Easy to organize. No PITA slots. If reviewing clubs more can be in the bag than 14. Most importantly, lighter.

If I walked, I'd feel differently. But I don't, so 14-way by a long shot for me.

Here's my criteria. I've only used it once or twice...

Is it on sale?
Does it look cool?
Is it new?

Done.:ROFLMAO:

I don't think I'll ever use another bag with less than 14 openings. Even better, 15 slots leave an empty space for a tiny umbrella.

i prefer the 4 way club pool...that way no one gets too uppity about their place in the bag.

I prefer a 14 way divider with a putter well.

I hate 14 way bags. I find them a right royal pain in the chuff!!! Then again, I do like a little bit of organization. That’s why I use a bag with a woode top. It’s perfect for me. Still pisses me off it’s no longer around (stupid decision). It does mean I will never in my life but another golf bag.

I have no use for a bag that doesn’t have an individual slot for each club.

I hate 14 way bags. I find them a right royal pain in the chuff!!! Then again, I do like a little bit of organization. That’s why I use a bag with a woode top. It’s perfect for me. Still pisses me off it’s no longer around (stupid decision). It does mean I will never in my life but another golf bag.

This exactly! I prefer the combo of both (seperate for woods&putter and communal for irons/wedges) provided by the Woode top. I'm not a fan of the 4 way but prefer it over a 14. I also prefer to walk and would guess that plays big role in preference since 14 ways are heavier.

I'm struggling with my transition from a 14-way to a 4-way top. I made the change out of a desire to lighten the load a bit, but honestly I just can't get comfortable with the communal arrangement. It's strange actually, when I received my new T200 irons I couldn't get a club in and out of the bag without tugging, twisting, and shaking the bag to get one loose. I've been carrying my old Cleveland irons for the last two weeks, and they slide in and out of the bag like a hot knife through butter. It will be interesting to see what happens when I get my 200s back this week.
One thing I have noticed which was an early concern with the switch is that my new SS putter grip is already falling apart despite only being 2/3 of a season old. In my 14-way top my SS lasted over 2 years without breaking down.
TBH for me the most important factor on a carry bag is the strap system; my SM 4.5 had the best style I have ever owned. The Titleist bag has the simple plastic cross, but due to my small stature the straps are set short enough that it doesn't twist and turn. Luckily SM makes a 2.5 14-way that weighs about the same as my current 4-way; the downside is nobody carries it locally so I would have to order and ship it sight unseen. I think I'll finish the year with my Titleist and then re-evaluate in the off season.

I was surprised when BIG MAX GOLF came out recently with a beautiful hybrid bag that it had 14 dividers. I loved the bag but wished it was a four way. For a new brand to the states they didn't read the room too well.

If I walked, I'd feel differently. But I don't, so 14-way by a long shot for me.
Same. My choice would definitely be different if I ever walked/carried. But almost 100% of my rounds are in a cart, and if not I use a push cart, so the C-130 is great for my use. Chances of me walking a round carrying that thing over my shoulder? Zero.

Same. My choice would definitely be different if I ever walked/carried. But almost 100% of my rounds are in a cart, and if not I use a push cart, so the C-130 is great for my use. Chances of me walking a round carrying that thing over my shoulder? Zero.

My SM 4.5LS has 14 dividers and legs. It's the best of both worlds.

I'm struggling with my transition from a 14-way to a 4-way top. I made the change out of a desire to lighten the load a bit, but honestly I just can't get comfortable with the communal arrangement. It's strange actually, when I received my new T200 irons I couldn't get a club in and out of the bag without tugging, twisting, and shaking the bag to get one loose. I've been carrying my old Cleveland irons for the last two weeks, and they slide in and out of the bag like a hot knife through butter. It will be interesting to see what happens when I get my 200s back this week.
One thing I have noticed which was an early concern with the switch is that my new SS putter grip is already falling apart despite only being 2/3 of a season old. In my 14-way top my SS lasted over 2 years without breaking down.
TBH for me the most important factor on a carry bag is the strap system; my SM 4.5 had the best style I have ever owned. The Titleist bag has the simple plastic cross, but due to my small stature the straps are set short enough that it doesn't twist and turn. Luckily SM makes a 2.5 14-way that weighs about the same as my current 4-way; the downside is nobody carries it locally so I would have to order and ship it sight unseen. I think I'll finish the year with my Titleist and then re-evaluate in the off season.

I did not know there was a 2.5 w/ the 14 dividers. Would it help if I made a video of it? I could go to Golf Galaxy and make a video. If they don't have one, I have no problem ordering one, making a video when it arrives, then returning it to GG after I make the video.

Use a 14-way top + putter well bag that is falling apart even though I have a couple of other bags in much better shape. Every bag I buy in the future will be a 14+. My big Two Thumb putter grip needs a dedicated well. Lol

I have both. I have a Sun Mountain C-130 which is 14 way full length for when I am using my cart and then I also have a Jones Original Carry which has 3 sections just divided at the top.

14 with putter well since I usually use a push cart or ride. I do have a stand bag for those off occasions I walk.

Back