Golf Ball Compression: Spin, Speed and Distance

I would be VERY interested in seeing what differences there are between balls with the following characteristics for compression/cover spin: low/low (BRX), low/high (?), high/low (?), and high/high (Prov1x). And anything that falls in the low/mid or mid/low range if time allows. Would be great to see for SW, 7i, driver.

Just my .02 worth.

Appreciate all of the suggestions from people about other balls to test. There will be a place for it in the future for sure.

I know @Canadan mentioned this one was done for extremes showing a very firm popular ball and a soft compression ball and providing the data to show the differences and how huge they can be. 1200 rpms of spin is pretty big and whichever side of the spectrum you fall in (needing more or less) can definitely make a rather large difference in carry distances.

Appreciate all of the suggestions from people about other balls to test. There will be a place for it in the future for sure.

I know @Canadan mentioned this one was done for extremes showing a very firm popular ball and a soft compression ball and providing the data to show the differences and how huge they can be. 1200 rpms of spin is pretty big and whichever side of the spectrum you fall in (needing more or less) can definitely make a rather large difference in carry distances.

Does this particular data set extrapolate to a lower swing speed player?

Does this particular data set extrapolate to a lower swing speed player?
There are always variables in play.

In this case, speed production is related to a few things, like speed, angle of attack, basic swing mechanics, dynamic loft, etc etc. Does it have the same impact on a guy with a neutral angle of attack, negative dynamic loft (closing the face at impact), etc etc? No, definitely not - probably the exact opposite, as they would require spin help not spin reduction.

Really bad way of saying that speed is only one variable. The significance of this test is not directly related to speed as much as it is so many other variables that promote proper ball selection.

Hey @Canadan Can you test the Cobra Forged Tec PW and GW with the same ball and let us know what in the heck is going on? So many people struggle with that GW I wonder if some data can tell us why

Outside of BRX, what other balls fit this profile?
Titleist AVX and Callaway ERC would be my top choices if looking for lower spin balls like BRX that still perform around the green. I use BRX right now and have not tried AVX.

I am sure there are others and it is hard to pick for someone. In your case, it might be easiest to test Titleist. If you just want a little less spin than ProV1X, then try ProV1. If that spins too much, try AVX

I'm very curious what part the high spin vs low spin cover contributes to this vs compression differences. I suppose the B RXS is the same ball, but with the higher spin cover? I also wonder what a high compression, low spin cover might be? I am still trying to wrap my head around ball choices and where these differences matter in driver, mid iron and wedge. Seems like the most important part of the equation for maximizing our performance if our equipment somewhat fits our game.

Anyway, this is a fun thread. Thanks for diving into this! Feed your Dan robot and get him rebooted.

I'm very curious what part the high spin vs low spin cover contributes to this vs compression differences. I suppose the B RXS is the same ball, but with the higher spin cover? I also wonder what a high compression, low spin cover might be? I am still trying to wrap my head around ball choices and where these differences matter in driver, mid iron and wedge. Seems like the most important part of the equation for maximizing our performance if our equipment somewhat fits our game.

Anyway, this is a fun thread. Thanks for diving into this! Feed your Dan robot and get him rebooted.
It certainly contributes but less the further you get from the green. In this instance both are using high quality urethane and fairly thin.

We wanted to share the testing and the data and show what happens with a high compression golf ball and low compression golf ball when they are both used by the same golfer.
Good video. Was wondering if you did this test with the same balls with a driver and a wedge to see what difference tin performance there might be with these clubs.

Good video. Was wondering if you did this test with the same balls with a driver and a wedge to see what difference tin performance there might be with these clubs.
Wedge was a little more significant of a difference if I recall correctly. Unfortunately my driver swing is comparable to a burning trash can right now, so we spared everyone that potential data haha

So I was paying attention to numbers on trackman yesterday and noticed my driver swing speed hovered right around 100. Has me wanting to try the BRX, BRXS, and ProV1X

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks to @Canadan for being the machine and for @JB for being the enabler to produce yet another quality video that provides food for thought. It also has generated a ton of discussion amongst knowledgeable golfers, which is sure to benefit weekend players like myself.

I've been doing a bit of experimentation recently myself, which honestly is rare. I've been a ProV1 guy for about 10 years, and honestly never gave it any thought to try something else. I mean, I might have hit a found TP5 or 5x ball a couple of times every once in a while, but definitely nothing more than that. Within the last month I have gamed both the 2020 CS and 2020 Tour Speed. Do I feel like there was any difference? Overall, I can't say that anything stood out to me.

What has really become apparent to me this season is that I need help increasing my peak height and landing angle. I don't seem to spin the ball, so most of my approaches will land and roll out. I use the PV to hopefully get as much bite out of the ball as possible, but I have no doubt that there may be a better option. I guess it means more sampling until I notice a difference, or confirm that the PV is a good decision. Most likely a trip to a facility like TXG would make the process that much more beneficial, and would probably be more fun than playing a different ball each day (and might even be cheaper in the long run)

Keep up the great work THP!

The amount of misinformation out there about golf ball compression is staggering.

This one deserved a bump.

I have a 95 mph swing speed and I choose my golf ball based primarily on how it feels off of my driver and my putter. The Pro V1 feels like a rock with my swing speed, I will use them but they are not my favorite golf ball. I prefer a chrome soft or tp5 feel. ( funny I had one of my longest drives of the year with the Pro V1 at 265 yards)

Fantastic video. Very enlightening to see the effect of the spin numbers. I'm headed to Golf Galaxy to grab some Tour B RX and test this out on the course.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I have a 95 mph swing speed and I choose my golf ball based primarily on how it feels off of my driver and my putter. The Pro V1 feels like a rock with my swing speed, I will use them but they are not my favorite golf ball. I prefer a chrome soft or tp5 feel. ( funny I had one of my longest drives of the year with the Pro V1 at 265 yards)

I thought the same with the ProV1. Wound up trying the tour bxs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Need to watch this - finding the right golf ball
Is my battle every year since i swap equipment out with new releases

hopefully this can help me

What balls are you guys using that swing 95-100 mph and find the regular ProV1 to be rock like? I swing slower than you (~ 88 MPH) and am not bothered even by the ProV1x or MTB X! The X balls make a little bit more noise, but I don't find the feel offensive. Maybe I have stone hands?

Do you object to it off all clubs or only certain clubs?

Dave

What balls are you guys using that swing 95-100 mph and find the regular ProV1 to be rock like? I swing slower than you (~ 88 MPH) and am not bothered even by the ProV1x or MTB X! The X balls make a little bit more noise, but I don't find the feel offensive. Maybe I have stone hands?
Do you object to it off all clubs or only certain clubs?
Dave
My swing is probably about 95 mile per hour, at least that's what it was about a year or two ago and I don't think it's changed that much. With that swing speed, the Pro V1 feels a bit hard and like it doesn't compress enough. Don't get me wrong, because I really dislike soft low compression golf balls, it seems to be a fad these days. I would rather play a hard golf ball then one of those mushy things. The Pro V1 just feels a bit too hard off the clubface of all clubs in the bag, whereas the Chrome soft, the Kirkland, and tp5 feel much better to me.

Last edited:
Did a ton of golf ball testing and it reminded me of this video and how much I love that it puts out correct info.

Did a ton of golf ball testing and it reminded me of this video and how much I love that it puts out correct info.
So another great video is coming?

So another great video is coming?

We have a bunch of them in the works, especially around different brands. Should be fun.

Good timing, I finally got to the point that I feel confident enough that I won't loose a kidney due to lost golf ball replacemnet, that I should
We have a bunch of them in the works, especially around different brands. Should be fun.
Excellent. looking forward to this. I've decided that this is the year to find a new for me golf ball. I'm currently getting to know ProV1x, since Titleist fit me into that ball vial trackman range test. I need spin! 2021 Z Star is next on my try list.

Back