Golf ball spin balancing

Tevenor

2021 Grandaddy Alum / 2022 Grandaddy AssCap
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
5ish
While its still winter and the wife decided to keep us indoors for the weekend as part of the reaction to the coronavirus, I took the time to do what I have been wanting to do for a while which is spin balance my gamer balls. I took 2 dozen of the Tour B X that I just bought and decided to give them all a run through. If you aren't familiar with how to do this at home, take a look at this article: How Can I water balance golf balls?

In a nutshell, you take some water, throw enough epsom salts into the water to make the ball float. I would target enough salt so you can see about 1/2" to 3/4" of the ball poking through the surface. You'll need a sharpie and a towel. Just poke the ball once it comes to rest and then spin it. When it comes to rest again, mark it again.

• If the ball settles on a different spot 3 times, then pretty sure that ball is very well balance and centered.
  • If the ball slowly rotates back to the original dot, then its a slight bit off center but nothing unplayable from a putting perspective. Still might want to mark it so you know to put with it up or down or somewhere on the roll line.
  • If the ball quickly rotates back to the original dot, then its way off and will potentially cause issues on putting.

Below is my setup. I used an old Callaway Chrome Soft, a Pinnacle Gold, and Top Flite D2 Distance as my control balls as all 3 of them had a distinct heavy end of the ball.

20200314_174807_HDR.jpg

The tester balls that all have pretty significant out of balance situation. The little black dot on each was where the ball would quick spin back to, dot up in the water.

20200314_174812.jpg

As far a results, I have really been pleased. So far I have done a 2 dozen of the new Tour B X and all of them have been damn near perfect. 2 were slightly off but nothing that makes it unplayable. I just need to put my putting alignment line over that spot and I am good to go.

Pretty simple to do and interesting to see the results. Give it a shot if you have some free time. Might be surprised by the results.

I've thought about doing that before, but didn't think it would be worth the effort until MGS testing showed me just how unbalanced even a premium golf ball can be.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

While its still winter and the wife decided to keep us indoors for the weekend as part of the reaction to the coronavirus, I took the time to do what I have been wanting to do for a while which is spin balance my gamer balls. I took 2 dozen of the Tour B X that I just bought and decided to give them all a run through. If you aren't familiar with how to do this at home, take a look at this article: How Can I water balance golf balls?

In a nutshell, you take some water, throw enough epsom salts into the water to make the ball float. I would target enough salt so you can see about 1/2" to 3/4" of the ball poking through the surface. You'll need a sharpie and a towel. Just poke the ball once it comes to rest and then spin it. When it comes to rest again, mark it again.

• If the ball settles on a different spot 3 times, then pretty sure that ball is very well balance and centered.
  • If the ball slowly rotates back to the original dot, then its a slight bit off center but nothing unplayable from a putting perspective. Still might want to mark it so you know to put with it up or down or somewhere on the roll line.
  • If the ball quickly rotates back to the original dot, then its way off and will potentially cause issues on putting.

Below is my setup. I used an old Callaway Chrome Soft, a Pinnacle Gold, and Top Flite D2 Distance as my control balls as all 3 of them had a distinct heavy end of the ball.

View attachment 8931806

The tester balls that all have pretty significant out of balance situation. The little black dot on each was where the ball would quick spin back to, dot up in the water.

View attachment 8931807

As far a results, I have really been pleased. So far I have done a 2 dozen of the new Tour B X and all of them have been damn near perfect. 2 were slightly off but nothing that makes it unplayable. I just need to put my putting alignment line over that spot and I am good to go.

Pretty simple to do and interesting to see the results. Give it a shot if you have some free time. Might be surprised by the results.
Somebody had some time on their hands...haha

Excellent write-up @Tevenor . For those, like me, that are more visual I found this video that shows the testing you describe.

You must have been pretty bored. ;) Kidding, I have a guy I play with who does it to all of his too. Never found the need, but if it is peace of mind then that works too.

That’s very interesting. Knew balls could have imperfections but didn’t know about this. P

That’s very interesting. Knew balls could have imperfections but didn’t know about this. P

What surprised me was I saw the "bad ball" mentioned in the video @MagicSpell linked right in front of me. My 3 control balls all had pretty severe roll over in the salt bath. The pinnacle was the worst of the 3. I should have video'd it.

You must have been pretty bored. ;) Kidding, I have a guy I play with who does it to all of his too. Never found the need, but if it is peace of mind then that works too.

It was a little of boredom but I was planning to mark up my new BX's anyways and I thought "what the hell?". Only took maybe a half hour to set it up and go through all the balls.

Thanks corona virus

Cut those three in half if you can. It would be interesting to see just how off center the cores are.

very interesting test, thanks for the post

Shoot. I shouldn’t have read this. Now I’m going to have to test all my golf balls! I am a geek. I consider tests/data like this fun. 🤪

I may have to do this myself.. I need something golf related to do!!

200902001545.jpg
Golf Ball Spin balancer

Cut those three in half if you can. It would be interesting to see just how off center the cores are.

I cut open the Top Flite and made a mess of it but did find something interesting. Can you guess where the "light" spot was?
158430542431794639385578368978.jpg

Back