Scooby45

Use data, get better.
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
10ish
Has anybody played any golf board games? I’ve researched a few older ones. Been bouncing around a few thoughts on how to create one. Was curious if others had any insights to prior games. What worked, what didn’t, etc.

Man, I loved playing stratomatic baseball when I was younger. Not sure that would fly in golf these days.

Years and years ago I used to play a board game from APBA. Courses were real courses set up in a grid system and it used cards for real life players that, like their baseball and football games, reflected the actual stats/abilities of the players. If I recall, at that time the card sets, which were updated somewhat frequently, had 32 contemporary players and they also offered a set of "old timers". My Dad and I would pick a couple of players and go head-to-head, or I would use all 32 and play full tournaments. It was uncanny how they would turn out with guys like Nicklaus, Palmer, etc., typically coming out on or near the top.

I just checked and back in those days APBA was located in Lancaster, PA and have since moved to Georgia. They still offer a golf game but the courses are very few compared to years ago. Also, I guess due to copyright issues, the course they offer don't use their real names.

Do you recall the mechanism of how APBA worked? How did your shot move around the gridded course and was it tedious?

I enjoy the golf card game and a dice game called GOLO. Growing up I played a board game that I think was called Ultimate Golf.

Back