dhartmann34

Reaction score
Handicap
I tend to play quite a bit of golf during the season...especially the summer months. At a minimum it's usually Saturday, Sunday and then my league on Monday. I then add in range sessions and usually a few 9 or 18 hole rounds Tuesday through Friday. But I've noticed that my scores are MUCH better when I stick to only that Saturday, Sunday and league rounds...and then take a few days off to rest my body and mind.

I know not everyone is as lucky as I am to have the ability to play as often as I do, but I still assume folks need a break from the game at times.

So my question is, do you ever need to take a break? If you do, how many days do you take off? Is it just random? Is it to rest your body? Your mind? the hosel of your club? :) And when you take a break, does your play and scores reflect in a positive manner?

I really thought the retirement and playing an average of 5 full rounds per week would improve my consistency over when I was a weekend only golfer. Unfortunately, it has not... I have taken a few one week breaks this year just to try to clear my mind of the ugliness that was happening before the break. Definitely seems to help until I lapse back into bad habits. I do feel I finally have a good grasp on what was causing some previous poor ball striking and hope that the gained realization will help me not fall back into prolonged periods of poor play.

I am where I can play year round if I don't mind a bit of cold weather, but I have found that I don't care to go for more than a week off at a time if I can help it. A week seems to be enough of a reset for me most times. Usually if I have to reset I will put the clubs in the back room so I don't even see them or think about them.

If it starts feeling like a grind, I detach from golf (completely, not even thinking about golf) for a few days. By that point in time, I'm usually refreshed.

~Rock

I really don't get out enough to warrant a break anymore. When I did play 5 times a week for a summer, I'd usually take the first 2 weeks of August off.

I usually only get to play once a week so no never really need a break, especially one to rest the body. Sometimes, if I am not striking it well, a mental break is needed and definitely helps.

I really don't get out enough to warrant a break...

This is me. I'm lucky to get to the range once a week and maybe get 9 in that same week. It's either the range or playing 18 if/when I have the time.

Yeah, it's felt like a grind multiple times this summer. Just gotta make myself step away and regroup.... and it's hard. ha.

If it starts feeling like a grind, I detach from golf (completely, not even thinking about golf) for a few days. By that point in time, I'm usually refreshed.

~Rock

I take breaks all the time. This year it was due to injury. Last year and the year prior I just took a 2 to 3 week hiatus just for my mental health. I'd gotten to the point where i was fighting everything and golf was starting to not be fun. The breaks always seem to help too. Just getting away and letting your body forget the bad habits seems to be key. That said - it's always difficult to take those breaks because my playing window is limited in Wisconsin, but I'd much rather enjoy the game than start to not enjoy it.

I get a forced break during the winter months when snow has covered the courses.
But that is about the only break I take.

As you know, I usually play Saturday, Sunday, and Monday. I have "built-in" breaks with an occasional vacation or business trip. Historically, a "break" hasn't made a significant difference in my scoring, unless there was some sort of physical injury/issue which needed some extra time.

Depends on my schedule around it and how the game performs, at the beginning of the month I shelved the clubs for two weeks and it helped in my return to the game.

I find I just play as much as I can, which is usually not as much as I want to play so I never really think about taking a break.

I don't think there's any connection to my scores, except that usually the more I play, the better I play.

I am on a forced break to build up strength from a recent medical condition and it sucks. I haven’t played since the Orlando Gathering and I’m itching to get out there. Another week ought to do it though. Besides that, my kids sports schedules creates necessary tee time breaks but fortunately that is not year round.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think your dad and I think about the same way about it, play whenever you can while you still can. But just plain old injuries and the sore back make me take some time off from a few days to a week every so often.

Tell that mean old son of a gun I said hello...the round we rode together on the New Course was still one of funniest I have ever had, he is hilarious in a mean old union guy kind of way..:angry:

I tend to play quite a bit of golf during the season...especially the summer months. At a minimum it's usually Saturday, Sunday and then my league on Monday. I then add in range sessions and usually a few 9 or 18 hole rounds Tuesday through Friday. But I've noticed that my scores are MUCH better when I stick to only that Saturday, Sunday and league rounds...and then take a few days off to rest my body and mind.

I know not everyone is as lucky as I am to have the ability to play as often as I do, but I still assume folks need a break from the game at times.

So my question is, do you ever need to take a break? If you do, how many days do you take off? Is it just random? Is it to rest your body? Your mind? the hosel of your club? :) And when you take a break, does your play and scores reflect in a positive manner?

I don't get a ton of time to play so breaks just kind of happen naturally. It seems like I have gone through spurts of not playing for a week or two because of life and usually come back more ready than ever the next time out.

No, no breaks. I practice and/or play everyday depending on the weather...if it is raining I can hit balls in our covered range. If it's not I practice a bit and go play.

Haha! Glad you enjoyed it. He's contemplating quitting good for the year... For the 500th time
I think your dad and I think about the same way about it, play whenever you can while you still can. But just plain old injuries and the sore back make me take some time off from a few days to a week every so often.

Tell that mean old son of a gun I said hello...the round we rode together on the New Course was still one of funniest I have ever had, he is hilarious in a mean old union guy kind of way..:angry:

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Rest is key. I'm happy with 2-3 days a week of golf. Whether it's full rounds, practice rounds, or some range practice. Gives me off days to workout at the gym, loaf out and do nothing, or make other plans.

Now I did take a full 2 week break almost 2 months ago when the swing was in complete disarray but we got past that.

Now if I decide to play back to back days, the 2nd day will be very minimal on the range, more so a stretch and chip/pitch shots followed by 10-15 full swings max.

Well good, with all that rest you should be able to yell FORE then
Rest is key. I'm happy with 2-3 days a week of golf. Whether it's full rounds, practice rounds, or some range practice. Gives me off days to workout at the gym, loaf out and do nothing, or make other plans.

Now I did take a full 2 week break almost 2 months ago when the swing was in complete disarray but we got past that.

Now if I decide to play back to back days, the 2nd day will be very minimal on the range, more so a stretch and chip/pitch shots followed by 10-15 full swings max.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I always play better when my body feels good. If I'm stiff, sore, or injured, I'll take a break. I also take mental breaks from time-to-time. Always amazing how stepping away for a bit can have drastic affects on my game.

I'm currently on the other end though. I've been rehabbing my back since 7/1, so not nearly as much golf as I like or need (mentally). Can't wait for the three-day weekend! :golf:

Hello my friend I can also say I had a blast during our round you know just because we are old doesn’t mean we are washed up lol

No not all, we just have more money and time to play with our balls....

Hello my friend I can also say I had a blast during our round you know just because we are old doesn’t mean we are washed up lol

Lets see, few and far between. Probably played 24 18 hole rounds this month. My breaks are a day or 2. Taking a near 3 week vacation where I might play 2 rounds tarting next week though.

2 or 3 days is plenty. Then, weather permitting, I'm back at it.

Back