Golf Channel Am Tour

I'm joining the GolfWeek tour here in Columbus. I got in on a $70 sign up fee, and they play some nice courses and private clubs. Will probably play 7-10 events this year.

didnt even know they had a tour, looks like there is 1 guy in it in Cincy last year lol, they have some pretty pricey rates for courses here, and none are private :(

I'm playing in the New England Series, run by the New England PGA, as well as the Member Days run by the Massachusetts Golf Association. The first tournament will be at TPC Boston.

I'm joining the GolfWeek tour here in Columbus. I got in on a $70 sign up fee, and they play some nice courses and private clubs. Will probably play 7-10 events this year.
Ive actually thought about trying that tour.

I have played on the AM Tour four years. The first two were in St. Louis, and the last two have been in Kansas City. I like it. It has given me an opportunity to play a lot of courses around the area that I probably wouldn't have if not for the Tour, as well as meet some good people. I play int he Palmer Division which is for people with handicaps between 4-8. I would say the perspective of most players is a healthy combination of competiveness and fun. I haven't come across anyone who I thought had somehow mistaken the Am Tour for the PGA, but most of the guys in Palmer take their golf pretty serious too. Not overly so, but it's more than just going out there to bat the ball around with no care about where it might go.

I've read quite a few comments about people objecting to the price, It is true that the entry fee is going to be more than just the green fee, but I can promise you a competitive round on the AM Tour feels MUCH different than just a regular round with your buddies. I've been fortunate enough to win a few, but would also admit to choking a few away as well. There's nothing like hitting a quality shot with the tournament on the line, or conversely, choking like a dog when a couple of closing pars would have sealed a victory. Believe me, I've felt both. There's not way to re-create that feeling other than within the context of a tournament. I promise you that when your name is announced on the 1st tee and your standing over the ball hoping you don't roll one off the tee box, you'll know this mean a little more than the skins game you play every week with your buddies.

Is it worth it? Sure. If you win you get at gfit card from Golf Galaxy that is usually equal to more more than the entry fee. Usually if there are at least 8 people in your flight they will also give a gift card for second. You can also earn points for national competiton. I have qualified for, but have never had the time to play in the season-ending national events. They also have a few regional major events each year, but I haven't played in any of these either. The up front gift box is pretty cool, and at least close in value to the membership fee.

Some of the drawbacks are that play can be pretty slow. This is expecially true if you have one of the later tee times. One of the frustrations in our tour is that they flip-flop the tee times for the flights. Sometimes the lower handicap players will tee off first, and sometimes were last. Generally speaking, when we are at the end of the parades the pace of play can be glacial. I bet that's true of those who tee near the end regardless of what order they send the flights off. They try to emphasize fast play, and will usually threaten penalties for it as they give instructions on the 1st tee, but I'm not aware of it ever happening. They do try to monitor pace of play, and if you fall behind, you will be told to speed it up. Still, pace can sometimes lag.

Another drawback is that the flights with the lower handicaps tend to draw the same 8-10 players. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, because you get to know these guys pretty well, but the flights with the higher handicaps seem to have larger fields.

All in all I've had a good experience with the tour. The events are well run, and it is a way to truly measure yourself as a golfer. I think it was Bobby Jones who said something like, "There's golf, and then there's tournament golf. Neither is like the other." Play the Am Tour and you'll know exactly what he meant.

I think it would be decent depending upon your location and the number of events close by. Here in MN, we have twincitiesgolf.com which hosts several 2 person scrambles per month at several different golf courses with prizes and stuff. It's pretty fun and the greens fees are alot cheaper.

I played the twincities tour a few years back and ended because of the slow play. (6hr round at Wild Marsh)
The director (Kevin) is a really nice guy and I chatted with him last year and he indicated its much better, soi I believe I'm going to join back in.
Ist local tourney scheduled is May9. UGH.
Its going to be 63 next week and there will be courses open. I'm playin.

and great write up MUTiger.
And , Gee, Sorry about that loss to KU (where my daughter attends)

Thank you for the write-up MUTiger. I've always been interested in the tour but I think I'm better off getting my feet wet in the local tourneys and such and then maybe move to those around me. Problem is that both regions(DC and philly) are awhile away so it's hard to justify the travel and such but I'm seriously interested.

Maybe. Where is it?

We are playing The Links At Echo Springs and Clover Valley. You are welcome to play both or just one. Hope to see you there.

Hey golfers,
I just joined the Golf Channel's Am Tour this year. I was very excited and nervous because I only started golfing 2 years ago. After playing in a few tournaments, I feel that this is a passion I am going to enjoy for awhile.
I've just read all the posts on this thread and have some input of my own. I have not done any research on the prices of other golf tournament organizations but I do think that the Golf Channel Am Tour is a bit on the high side. The $200 sign up fee I can deal with because an organization needs to be financed, plus you get a very generous welcome package but to pay $200 to rejoin every year is a bit over the top. $100 a year to rejoin should be sufficient enough. (Remember, an organization needs to be financed but no more welcome gifts and shipping fees.) Also the Golf Channel's Am Tour organizers should keep in mind that people who sign themselves up in their organization have to spend quite a bit of money on tournament registration, travel (gas, toll, food, hotels, etc.), equipment & maintenance, and the undeniable practice rounds.
Considering that this is a Golf Channel organization I felt like it would have been a bit more organized but it is still early in the season. For example: When I try to contact them through their email, I never get an answer. This is very irritating. Their website seems to be a little more complex then it needs to be but I got used to it.
I put myself in the Jones Flight which is between 16 to 19 over par. So after a little research recently, I come to notice that there are a number of players in the Jones Flight that have scores between 9 to 15 over par. I counted 9 that have 2 scores in that range and the season just started. I don't know about you but I'm looking to win. I don't want to lose to a cheater or an over-site. I hope the Golf Channel Am Tour organizers find and fix this problem. It could be the deciding factor in rejoining next year.
On a personal note. The promotion for the Golf Channel's Am Tour that you see on the Golf Channel, you know the one, "I am AM Tour". I think they can do much better. There is not one golf course, not one golf swing, no ball in flight, no flag and no trophy holders in that commercial. It seem like the promotion department lacks creativity and imagination. When taking photographs of the trophy winners to put on their website, it doesn't matter if it was out of focus, distorted or has an unflattering background. These are the kind of things that reflect the quality of the organization.
With all that being said, I DO recommend joining the GCAMTour. You get to play on golf courses you normally wouldn't. It motives you to try your best and if you win, you get a trophy. hahahaha. I am having a good time.
PS. Sorry about all the I's in my post.

Thanks for the review something I'm looking into next year possibly.

playin in my first am tour event this saturday in bensalem, pa. course looks like a roll-over.
-Paul G

Golf Channel AM Tour

Golf Channel AM Tour

Does anyone els on here play in their local AM Tour?
Im a second year player love the tour would love to meet others who play on it!!!

I have thought about it, but haven't done it yet. The entry fees are a little high IMO

I was looking at the entry fees also as high. But Atleast they play good courses.

Entry fees are outrageous for the Golf Channel Am Tour, otherwise I would love to do it. I used to participate in the Nature Valley Am Tour and there was no membership fee, and the entry fees were not much more than the normal greens fees. It was run very much the same way, with a national championship at TPC Sawgrass and everything. All tournaments were played at TPC courses. Unfortunately this year Nature Valley did not renew their sponsorship with the program...its a bummer.

Check out the Golfweek Amateur Tour. Much more reasonable than Golf Channel AM Tour. They are in quite a few cities around the country.

TapAhoy!

I have played some Golfweek Tour and before that when it was the eGolf am tour. Playing a full season of events costs little more than half of what it costs to play a full season of events on the GC Am tour and the golf courses are the same with few exceptions, at least around here they are.

I play here in the DFW area and have had a great time playing. I agree that the price is a little high but I decided, for no special reason, to play it instead of golfweek. AM tour plays more courses here than golfweek but golfweek does play a lot of the same courses.

I have thought about it, but haven't done it yet. The entry fees are a little high IMO

Plus, you are a pro now with the Morgan Cup, so that tour is beneath you of course. :D

Only problem with the golfweek am tour is the long rounds. I've played in a few so far this year and our shortest round was over 5 hrs. They claim that rounds should take about 4.5 hrs, but that hasn't happened yet. The first event I played in took 5 hrs and 40 mins.

Entry fees for Am Tour are only about $125 cart included. A round of golf at any half decent course is going to cost you $75+ cart. It's not that high.

played in one event this year and doubt i'll be in any for the next couple months. a sprained ankle has me reeling. pissed to b/c i wanted to play a few more tourney's before turningstone in july, now thats out too.

Only problem with the golfweek am tour is the long rounds. I've played in a few so far this year and our shortest round was over 5 hrs. They claim that rounds should take about 4.5 hrs, but that hasn't happened yet. The first event I played in took 5 hrs and 40 mins.

What makes the rounds so long? Are your tee times right behind normal player times? Are the AM Players just really slow?

Back