Golf Channel Am Tour

TMSHACKS

Bridgestone Staffer
Reaction score
Hello,

I know a few people on here have participated in Am Tour and wanted to know about it.

I am registered for this season and cant wait to get started.

What Should I Expect?

How Many Tourneys did you participate in last year? ; Any Majors?

* Also I think it would be cool to keep this thread updated throughout the season and have people update results and news/cool bits of info from your matches/tourneys. I will ? .

Cheers..

i've actually been very interested in the AM Tour and how it worked so if you don't mind me picking your brain some info and ways to find more info on the AM Tour it would be greatly appreciated. 1st step i would assume is going to the golfchannel.com and searching the AM Tour :laughing:

Wow good luck to you!! Look forward to following your progress.

I joined the New England Amateur Tour run by the New England PGA and talked about it in an earlier thread. Enjoy the the Golf Channel Tour and good luck!

TM I've thought about it, but I'm not sure how much you get back on your investment if you know what I mean. There are several tournaments around that I might consider if they still allow you to compete in one or two without joining the tour though!

TM I've thought about it, but I'm not sure how much you get back on your investment if you know what I mean. There are several tournaments around that I might consider if they still allow you to compete in one or two without joining the tour though!

That's been my thought process as well. Around here it seems like all of the events are scattered around the area and cost twice as much as a normal round at the same course for the same day. What would I get for that double price that would make it worth it? I have no doubt it would be fun and exciting to be in a competitive environment, but double the price worth? Not sure.

i've actually been very interested in the AM Tour and how it worked so if you don't mind me picking your brain some info and ways to find more info on the AM Tour it would be greatly appreciated. 1st step i would assume is going to the golfchannel.com and searching the AM Tour :laughing:

yeah if you go to golfchannel and click to the AMTOUR website there is general info about it.

yeah Johnboy that was my dilema and why I didnt sign up last year.

Its 190 to register. And your supposed to receive perks and gifts with the registration. Il let you know if I get anything good when it comes to my house.
Then tournaments are 100. 2 day Majors at about 200-220

In the tournaments Green Fees, Carts, Range Balls, Trophies and Prize Money is included. Also some tourney include a practice round the day before the scoring day.

In the end its not that bad of a deal. If your into stroke play it seems like its a good deal but thats why I was asking for those who have actually played in it. I will tee it up in that tour sometime in april so my first review wont come until then.

Also you can play in the tour events without being a member but dont receive season points and believe you dont get guarenteed a spot in the tourney as they are first come first serve to members and then at that time others can try and get in.

Ive thought about joining as well, anyone out there ever played it before?

I know a few on here have mentioned it time to time so its only a matter of time til they log in a chime in.

I thought about trying this tour too. I live in Charlotte, NC area and the closet one to me is in the Raliegh/ Durham area about 2 hours away. The travel and the cost of memebership and tournies has keep me away. Seeing the results in my area with only 5 guys in a flight on average doesn't sound fun either.

I found the Golfweek Am tour local in my area. Membership fee is only $80-$85 bucks and with that you get a year's subscription to the mag. Most Tounaments are in the $85 dollar range that is only about $15 over the rack rate and its the same deal as the other tours as far as trophies for the winners in each flight, range balls, prize pool etc. They do a good job of handicap control and keeping the rigt players in the right flight. I have played it for about 4 seasons now and it has been a good group and takes care of that competitive itch that you have.

check out the site to see if you have a tour in your area.
http://www.amateurgolftour.net/

Hope you enjoy your season, and post your results...

I thought about trying this tour too. I live in Charlotte, NC area and the closet one to me is in the Raliegh/ Durham area about 2 hours away. The travel and the cost of memebership and tournies has keep me away. Seeing the results in my area with only 5 guys in a flight on average doesn't sound fun either.

I found the Golfweek Am tour local in my area. Membership fee is only $80-$85 bucks and with that you get a year's subscription to the mag. Most Tounaments are in the $85 dollar range that is only about $15 over the rack rate and its the same deal as the other tours as far as trophies for the winners in each flight, range balls, prize pool etc. They do a good job of handicap control and keeping the rigt players in the right flight. I have played it for about 4 seasons now and it has been a good group and takes care of that competitive itch that you have.

check out the site to see if you have a tour in your area.
http://www.amateurgolftour.net/

Hope you enjoy your season, and post your results...

Yeah I checked thaty out, like it but none near me. Wish you luck though

Hope someone with some experience in these chimes in, I have thought about trying it just to see what it's like.

My cousin went on an Am Tour and said it was an amazing experience

My dad and a couple of his buddies play in it and they LOVE it. They get so pumped up for it you'd think they're playing for $1,000,000 checks. Haha.

Anyone play the Portland section? It's always seemed so expensive... prohibitively so, considering the courses you play.

I would pay the entrance fees, but there's no way I would pay an annual fee to get in to them.

Played the GC Am Tour in 2009 and had great success. Joined the Golfweek Am Tour later in 2009 and that's the only tour series I played in 2010 and have already signed up for this year. In my area the GC Am Tour is all but dead. On average they had less than 30 players per event in 2010. Cost to join Golfweek was $89.00, it's $199.00 for the GC. Apples to apples, oranges to oranges, Golfweek had better competition, courses to play, better payouts, contests for free entry fees, better sponsor participation, and giveaways and was just overall a better value for me.

Didn't have a bad experience with the GC Am Tour just wanted to play where they had a more active membership.

Hello,

I know a few people on here have participated in Am Tour and wanted to know about it.

I am registered for this season and cant wait to get started.

What Should I Expect?

How Many Tourneys did you participate in last year? ; Any Majors?

* Also I think it would be cool to keep this thread updated throughout the season and have people update results and news/cool bits of info from your matches/tourneys. I will ? .

Cheers..

Awesome... Who knows maybe I could do something along these lines once I get better! I wonder if there are any here in NW Ohio or whereabouts???

For those wondering about the tour. Got my welcome package yesterday and it was pretty neat. A nice shirt, hat, some balls, USGA rulebook and handicap, bag accessories and other little things. Also a few gift cards and other discounts.

For those talking about the golfweek tour I agree it is the better tour out there but the golfweek tour does not have as many locations as GCAT does and we dont have one in st. louis. However since they are so similiar definetly share some of your stories here throughout the season and wish you luck.

Til Next time take care

For those wondering about the tour. Got my welcome package yesterday and it was pretty neat. A nice shirt, hat, some balls, USGA rulebook and handicap, bag accessories and other little things. Also a few gift cards and other discounts.

For those talking about the golfweek tour I agree it is the better tour out there but the golfweek tour does not have as many locations as GCAT does and we dont have one in st. louis. However since they are so similiar definetly share some of your stories here throughout the season and wish you luck.

Til Next time take care

Interesting. Golfweek has as many if not more events in this area than GC and they have a better line up of courses.

Am tour

Am tour

Last year was my first year on the am tour in columbus Ohio area and I loved it? The only problem that I had with the tour was the fact you only received something if you won the tourney. To some of my friends, 95 dollars to not get a gift card for second place etc isn't much to play for. I have seen some that said they heard their is prize money, and if there is, let me know so I can suggest I to the tour director!

TM doesn't sound like a bad welcome package. There's a tourny scheduled at a local course and I may give it a try if they have room and see how it goes. Good luck on your end!

Dear Competitive Golfer,

Interesting comments on Golf Channel AM Tour. I have been a member for four years. Yes it does cost more, but if you want a long-term competitive golf environment then you can't beat this tour for the amateur.

I play a ton of Regional Pro-Am and Amateur events in The Northwest and California. They are great one- time events. The GCAM Tour has well organized tours in 60 cities with over 9,000 players. Some of the newer ones have some growing pains. When we started in Seattle many years ago, we had some growing pains. The Golf Channel (The Company) has some professional folks who know how to run tournaments, particularly the regional 2 day events. I have played the Nationals the last three years in it has been a blast even though I have gotten my brains beaten to oblivion. I took a 9 on the 17th at Sawgrass last year (average senior did it in 12 strokes).

I have also won eight times. The money is in the optional skin games. After you play a couple events your GC scores is your handicap. This pretty much eliminates sandbagging. In four year years, I have only rarely seen a "newbie" win by blowout. The point is you play for the entire season not just a single event. Everyone's goal is to get to the nationals and win.

Bottom line. There is golf and there is competitive golf. If you want to get better play competitive golf. In the 40+ tournaments, I have always enjoyed the competition and the company.

If you want to sandbag or do not want to learn the rules this tour is not for you. Otherwise take a second look.

For those who want to play Golf week Tour all the power to you. I read there rules and apparently once you get to a triple bogey you pick up for that hole. Great for slow play but I have never played a USGA event where you can pick up.

Hit em straight.
Golf Addict

They have an event at our club every year and last year i played a practice round with a guy that was on the tour. He raved about it and loved it. He said the same thing about sandbaging. It is rare.

I might give it a shot on a couple events. I believe they are having the round at our club next month. sounds like fun and it puts more pressure on your swing. I always need that. :dohanim:

Back