Golf Channel Shutdown?

Sad. I watch it quite a bit. Bummer......

I see this as being bad for golf in general. Personally I'm effing tired of the modern "subscription based" coverage and I like the good ol' days of just having golf on cable TV.

I shouldn't have to subscribe to GolfPass, PGA Tour online, Peacock, and whatever the hell else just to get golf content - and I don't/won't. If this is the future, I'm out.

Looks like reruns of Andy Griffith is your new world sir! Lol.

Enjoy.

(PS I don’t get any TV so I’d prolly settle for that).

They should use the F1 model if this is what they want to do, but i assume the PGA Tour is too greedy and inept to put it together.
1) one subscription covers all, even F2 and F3. All 4 days of a race weekend.
2) you get EXTRA coverage. Live on-board radio feeds, Live on board cameras, all the live data you can handle.

I could go on, but I digress.

I would definitely be willing to pay for that if you could get the smaller tours there. I like watching the Korn Ferry and LPGA, just don’t get enough coverage now

I dunno if we can blame Covid for this but.....

2020 can just kiss my ass in every way imaginable.

The answer is no, the Golf Channel is not shutting down.

The move and layoffs are old news.

The answer is no, the Golf Channel is not shutting down.

The move and layoffs are old news.

Exactly. Consolidation and the elimination of some duplicate jobs and relocation to their HQ in Connecticut. Corporations are always in flux and these types of relocations happen all the time.

I'd be seriously bummed to lose Golf Channel, it's one of the only things I ever watch on TV. We have cable (well, satellite) because my wife watches a lot of TV, but I rarely ever turn it on if there's not a golf tournament on. I used to pay for NFL Sunday Ticket (before my complete boycott of anything NFL this year), but I wouldn't pony up for a PPV golf subscription.

I don't like the a la carte/subscription model at all - those subscriptions start piling up and soon you're paying more for them than you were for a cable/satellite package before. If golf were to go to PPV/subscription, I guess it would just free up more time for me to do other things Thursday through Sunday, and professional golf would be as dead to me as all other pro sports are.

Look at the parent company. All about consolidation.
Universal needs to get the money somewhere to keep funding the build out of the theme park in China.

For the past several years I have never watched it, so I'm pretty sure I won't miss it.

I watched it when Peter Kessler was there. Once he left, it became boring, and I was no longer interested in it's format.

I watch Golf Channel pretty much every day, so I hope this is not true.

I'm to the point to where I rarely watch it, and I just "cut the cord" so now I don't have the channel anyway. So it won't bother me if it goes off air. I'm fine with watching some tournament coverage online or via streaming services.

I flick on the golf channel for a couple of minutes once in a blue moon these days. Still be sad to see it disappear though. Having said that, I’d be more than happy for it to turn into a NBCSN 2 channel so NBC could actually commit to showing events they’ve paid for LIVE!!! (MotoGP and WSBK, I’m looking at you!)

Since COVID this has been the most watched channel... champions, lpga, morning drive, live from X tournament - post round - late night round recap... sad day for sure

NBC better launch another golf channel type - Start the petition?

consolidation and monopolization...the telecasts will be the one to suffer

If there was 1 universal subscription that covered everything, I'd be way more open to it. But having to subscribe to 3-5 different sources to get all the coverage is where my issues lie.
we used to have that, we called it Cable 👽

I see nothing about this, so I'm going to assume it's false.

I think it could be a misunderstanding of the shut down of the orlando location. That is happening end of this year.

Hope it stays up even though the HQ is moving

I think it could be a misunderstanding of the shut down of the orlando location. That is happening end of this year.
According to Sirius it is a bit more than that. Changes are definitely coming with the amount of jobs changed.

According to Sirius it is a bit more than that. Changes are definitely coming with the amount of jobs changed.

Interesting.. Google knows nothing about it.. But I am curious now. I don't have cable but I would be a little bummed although not all the surprised.. Their programing has been really bad for a really long time.

One of the few channel I watch besides movie channels. Been looking for ways to cut the cord. Will be happening within the next couple years for me. Was looking for ways to watch my NY Rangers, Golf Channel and the Food Network (for my wife). If I can figure out ways to get those 3, plus my Amazon Prime/Netflix accounts - I won't need cable. The time has come for ala carte pricing. Its almost here.

I stopped getting GC a few years ago and never missed it. I am curious if Gary Williams will hook up somewhere else. I like his knowledge on most sports. Also Lauren Thompson who has been on morning drive forever. She is always good on air

Back