Golf club advice please

PCgolf

Reaction score
Hey guys,

First time poster, just looking for some advice on a new set of clubs. Been playing golf inconsistently growing up just with hand me downs but latley been getting into it more and wanted to upgrade my clubs. I can get a Callaway X-20 NG 4-9 iron set with PW and SW for $340 or slotline striker 4-5 Hybrid with 6-9 irons and PW and SW for 300. That would be my max budget, most places I’ve said invest in a good second hand pair rather then brand new less known clubs. Just wondering more about the slotline striker clubs and havnt been able to find much on them, just looking for more forgiving clubs with better accuracy. Any other clubs you can reccomend and/or advice on the ones mentioned would bereally appreciated! Cheers guys

Attachments

• A6A011B4-0955-4946-9D08-3C8F8A29498A.png
    A6A011B4-0955-4946-9D08-3C8F8A29498A.png
    109.3 KB · Views: 17
  • 2EBC5D47-1899-440C-A6D2-A94E97306F6E.png
    2EBC5D47-1899-440C-A6D2-A94E97306F6E.png
    76.4 KB · Views: 18
  • DECA757E-2770-4523-9B3D-DA0970422F9B.png
    DECA757E-2770-4523-9B3D-DA0970422F9B.png
    113.3 KB · Views: 17
  • F2E1A88C-B2F0-4240-AD75-064A6596E062.png
    F2E1A88C-B2F0-4240-AD75-064A6596E062.png
    164.9 KB · Views: 12
Welcome to THP! Unfortunately I cant help you, as I haven't played these, but I'm sure someone will chime in. Good luck!

I have never heard of slotline Stryker.

You can check Callaway's CPO website. They have some CF-16 iron sets that are right around those prices. Good game improvement iron that had really good reviews.

Thanks for that, will check them out , also looking at the RAZR X HL set, I’ve read they are good for game improvers

And one last comment, sorry should have consolidated these :ROFLMAO:. I was looking and you can find a pre-owned set of Srixon Z565 irons for at or under your budget. I play a 565/765 combo set, and love them! The 565 on my 4i-6i are more forgiving than the 765 thru the rest if the set. Great set of irons that I have no issue recommending to anyone.

Firstly, welcome to THP!

Some good advice on here, for my 5 cents worth, any of the Ping irons with a G at the front will be super forgiving and pretty decent second hand prices as well. But pretty much every manufacturer will have a forgiving iron, so just comes down to what you like the look of. Think there are some crazy deals on the Cobra SZ irons at the moment as well...

Firstly, welcome to THP!

Some good advice on here, for my 5 cents worth, any of the Ping irons with a G at the front will be super forgiving and pretty decent second hand prices as well. But pretty much every manufacturer will have a forgiving iron, so just comes down to what you like the look of. Think there are some crazy deals on the Cobra SZ irons at the moment as well...
Legend! Thankyou

Welcome to THP.

Go to callaway preowned - I think the X-20 NG was some type of sale blowout set that Callaway made to give peeps a reduced price set.

Go to preowned - Steelhead, Big Bertha, Apex, X2 Hot, XR, Steelhead XR - they are having a 20% off sale on iron sets

Welcome! Would check out Rock Bottom Golf or Budget Golf. There's clubs for sale in this forum also. If you're not tied to a certain brand there's lots of choices. I my case shaft flex is the most important thing.

Welcome to THP!!! Home you find the set of irons you're looking for.

Welcome to THP! I, personally, would go with the Callaways. I played X-22s for a couple of seasons, and they were very good clubs. I am a 100 (well in the neighborhood) strokes-per-round player, so right with you. The X-20s are a proven commodity so there's no guesswork on that aspect. If you do go with them, and you have one available, take them to a fitter and have him tweak them to as close to perfect for you as possible. It will cost you some more money, but, as I found out late in life, will be very well worth it. I had my irons adjusted for the correct lie angle and the were much better for me.

And one last comment, sorry should have consolidated these :ROFLMAO:. I was looking and you can find a pre-owned set of Srixon Z565 irons for at or under your budget. I play a 565/765 combo set, and love them! The 565 on my 4i-6i are more forgiving than the 765 thru the rest if the set. Great set of irons that I have no issue recommending to anyone.
I've been contemplating a used set recently and the Srixon combo 565/765 seems mighty appealing, especially since they can be had at a good price.

I've been contemplating a used set recently and the Srixon combo 565/765 seems mighty appealing, especially since they can be had at a good price.
I'd have no hesitation. This is my 2nd season with them, and each round I like them a little bit more. I've hit some absolute darts with my 6i. Never hit a 6i like this before. And some great shots off the fairway with my 4i. Last year I had a round where I hit the green on every par 3, and made at worst par. All those shots came with my 765's in the shorter irons. Grear set, and I have no regrets with the purchase at all!

I assume you're a righty, correct?

I'd have no hesitation. This is my 2nd season with them, and each round I like them a little bit more. I've hit some absolute darts with my 6i. Never hit a 6i like this before. And some great shots off the fairway with my 4i. Last year I had a round where I hit the green on every par 3, and made at worst par. All those shots came with my 765's in the shorter irons. Grear set, and I have no regrets with the purchase at all!
I currently game Callaway X-20's for my 4 and 5-irons, and Callaway X-forged 6-PW. They've been great but I do want to move on soon; I may have to jump on some Srixon's if/when the right deal comes along!

Welcome to THP.

If you're not stuck on one brand of club maker, consider looking at Tour Edge... you should be able to get something in their HL3 line or even the HL4... the HL3's get good reviews here (read up on some of the articles and reviews)...

Cleveland has some good clubs too.

Thanks everyone really appreciate it, another set I was looking at was Bridgestone Precept XM? Any advice

Several people here love their Bridgestone clubs.(y)

Budget Golf has some amazing sales going on right now. You can pick up a brand new set of Cobra King F8's for 320 out the door with THP discount. They also include Arccos, so really getting a set of new irons for about 130ish? (Arccos cost about 180 plus tax for stand alone)

Back