Golf club insurance.

Luchnia

You will never conquer golf.
Reaction score
Handicap
The cost I have invested is really bugging me to get my golf stuff insured. I know my homeowners will cover, but really wanted something more.

Do any of you insure your golf clubs? If so, with who, how much do you insure for, and what does the insurance cover (everything except tees and balls?)?

I do and full disclosure, I am an agent. The policy would cover your clubs, bag, range finder and other items if you want. The policy is inexpensive.

Depending on the company, the policy is either called a Personal Articles or Inland Marine. I recommend having one because it will cover your clubs for the full replacement cost and you even have the option to have no deductible. The other advantage is that at least for the company I work with it does not count as a homeowners claim so it won’t impact that policy.

You can also add on items like jewelry, firearms, artwork or other expensive/unique items that would be expensive or difficult to replace.

I do and full disclosure, I am an agent. The policy would cover your clubs, bag, range finder and other items if you want. The policy is inexpensive.

Depending on the company, the policy is either called a Personal Articles or Inland Marine. I recommend having one because it will cover your clubs for the full replacement cost and you even have the option to have no deductible. The other advantage is that at least for the company I work with it does not count as a homeowners claim so it won’t impact that policy.

You can also add on items like jewelry, firearms, artwork or other expensive/unique items that would be expensive or difficult to replace.
That is exactly the kind of info I am looking for!

Do most homeowners policys offer this extension or is this separate/outside of that? I'm pretty sure I have my wife's ring covered under the homeowners and covers internationally (at least it did through geico), but maybe have outside policy is better

Also, I had to do a homeowners claim where they ended up paying out 5500, am I screwed at renewal? Lol

Do most homeowners policys offer this extension or is this separate/outside of that? I'm pretty sure I have my wife's ring covered under the homeowners and covers internationally (at least it did through geico), but maybe have outside policy is better

Also, I had to do a homeowners claim where they ended up paying out 5500, am I screwed at renewal? Lol

I’ve seen some companies that do it as an extension of the homeowners policy and others that are separate policies. I would reach out to Geico to find out the details of what you have. Most companies will ask you to list out what items you have, their value, and things like purchase date. It’s a good idea to hold onto your receipts if you have them.

For your homeowners claim, how it affects your renewal will depend on the cause of loss, state you are in, and how your company rates for claims. I don’t know all the circumstances, but I wouldn’t stress too much about one claim.

My homeowners policy has them listed, hope I never have to use it.

mine are covered under homeowners but only if they're stolen from the property. i needed to add them to a separate policy along with some jewelry and other expensive (or difficult) to replace items if i wanted them covered should something happen to them when they're off my property. the annual premium is stupid inexpensive and the deductible is well under the amount i'd need to fork over out of pocket to replace these things.

Yeah, and even no deductible is inexpensive. Crazy not to do it.

All of this ^^^^

I have a personal Articles policy for my clubs and my wife’s wedding ring - same company as our home owners policy. I can’t remmeebr exactly but I want to say it’s like $50 or less a year.

My home owner's policy, and/or my auto policy cover mine. Both theft, and damage.
But that's just under your personal property isn't it? Subject to your regular deductible?

What kind of deductible's are usually on this type of policy. I generally carry very high deductibles on my stuff.

What kind of deductible's are usually on this type of policy. I generally carry very high deductibles on my stuff.
None, no deductible at all. You get replacement value and as far as I know can only buy exact replacements for your clubs. For example, I can’t upgrade to the B21 even if it costs less than the declared value of my Epic Flash.

None, no deductible at all. You get replacement value and as far as I know can only buy exact replacements for your clubs. For example, I can’t upgrade to the B21 even if it costs less than the declared value of my Epic Flash.
Interesting. I am definitely going to look into it. I was talking with my dad who is not a golfer over thanksgiving and was realizing how much value I carry around in my bag.

Interesting. I am definitely going to look into it. I was talking with my dad who is not a golfer over thanksgiving and was realizing how much value I carry around in my bag.
I’ll be completely honest and say it gives me great peace of mind. I literally thought about this Friday at my son’s lesson (I hit balls). I left my bag outside in a kind of remote area while I went to the men’s room. It would have been easy for somebody to make off with them. I caught myself wondering if I should walk them to my car then quickly decided not to worry about it. If that happened I’d pick up my phone and place two calls: one to start a claim, the other to Callaway to place my order.

What happens if your clubs are old enough that you can't buy exact replacements anymore? If your irons are three or four years old, the manufacturer probably isn't going to offer them for sale at that point.

Or am I the only one on THP who keeps clubs for that long? :LOL:

What happens if your clubs are old enough that you can't buy exact replacements anymore? If your irons are three or four years old, the manufacturer probably isn't going to offer them for sale at that point.

Really good question and I don’t know the answer.

Not speaking for every company, but for the one I represent, for lost or stolen clubs, we would pay what they are insured for. So if your driver was insured for $500 and it's lost, that is what you would get.

It's also important to update your coverage as you update your clubs.

Not speaking for every company, but for the one I represent, for lost or stolen clubs, we would pay what they are insured for. So if your driver was insured for $500 and it's lost, that is what you would get.

This is really good information. I probably need to call my insurance guy after the holidays to review my coverages.

This is really good information. I probably need to call my insurance guy after the holidays to review my coverages.

You are welcome. I recommend doing a review with your agent once a year as your needs may change and the policy options may change as well.

Thanks for posting this useful information, will look into it!

I remember speaking with my agent a couple years ago about some other items that I insured separately on a side policy and I mentioned taking photos. She said photos are a great way to show what you had.

Golf clubs can be pricey. Three to four thousand dollars of equipment is not hard to accumulate. My driver and irons alone were close to 1800.

Most times I feel like I would pay someone to steal my clubs.

I'm in insurance too and have thought about writing one for myself recently to make your my Vokey Wedges are covered, along with the other stuff lol. Our policy starts off at a $75 per year minimum premium but for golf/sports equipment I could get up to $5200-$5300 in coverage for that premium. I don't have that much so I might throw a pistol and rifle on their with it.

With ours if you make a claim in the first year they will most likely non-renew the PAP itself. The claim could hurt you as far as being dropped with your Homeowners if you have other claims. It could also hurt or make you ineligible if trying to go to another company. However if you don't have any claims and ever did have your bag lost or stolen it would be worth having.

Back