Golf Club Member Tournaments/Events

#troy

Jax, FL
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Who has a club tournament coming up?

Thought this could be a fun place to put upcoming events and talk formats, likes/dislikes.

My club is having their version of the Ryder Cup dubbed the 'Windsor Cup' this weekend.

We have a draft on Friday evening, club hosting dinners/drinks.
Saturday and Sunday, 4 matches, 9 holes each. 36 holes total.

I was picked as one of the captains. Event was cancelled last year due to virus, so this will be my first Windsor Cup at this club

I have a one day Senior Scratch event coming up on Saturday morning. Unfortunately my game isn't feeling great at the moment.

I just played in a member guest at a friends club this weekend and it was a blast. One of the big benefits to me of belonging to a club are the events.

We have events each month, sometimes a couple times a month. We had our first weekend of our season long 2-ball tournament. You either won and advanced in the championship bracket or lost and go to the consolation bracket. I played absolutely abysmal, had 3 3-putts and a 4-putt. Normally the strongest part of my game jumped up and bit me. I did end up winning the match 2 up, but I better tighten up before my next opponent.

Coming up this week, we have our Summer Classic. This is our big member-guest with quite a bit of cash on the line. Looking forward to it, as it's always a good time. Format is:
Thursday - 6 hole scramble, 6 hole alternate shot, 6 hole best ball followed by a horserace.
Friday - Three 9 hole matches against your flight.
Saturday - Two 9 hole matches to conclude flight play and determine the winner.

My partner and I are in the championship flight, so we will need to play some good, consistent golf.

We have events each month, sometimes a couple times a month. We had our first weekend of our season long 2-ball tournament. You either won and advanced in the championship bracket or lost and go to the consolation bracket. I played absolutely abysmal, had 3 3-putts and a 4-putt. Normally the strongest part of my game jumped up and bit me. I did end up winning the match 2 up, but I better tighten up before my next opponent.

Coming up this week, we have our Summer Classic. This is our big member-guest with quite a bit of cash on the line. Looking forward to it, as it's always a good time. Format is:
Thursday - 6 hole scramble, 6 hole alternate shot, 6 hole best ball followed by a horserace.
Friday - Three 9 hole matches against your flight.
Saturday - Two 9 hole matches to conclude flight play and determine the winner.

My partner and I are in the championship flight, so we will need to play some good, consistent golf.
Sounds like a very active membership!

We do weekly MGA games on Sat morning, but have 6 main events annually.

Windsor Cup
Match Play
Interclub match play
Member Member
Member Guest
Club Championship

Match play kicked off last week. My first round match up is Thursday morning.

Basically a NCAA basketball bracket, winner moves on, single elimination match play.

I didn't play well in our Senior Scratch event I hurt my foot two days before the event and wasn't confident with the swing.

We have a season long Foursomes match play tournament in process. My partner and I won our first match last week. We were giving 5 strokes to a couple of older guys who were playing more forward tees. Fortunately we played solid and took them down 3 and 2. Next match is being played in early August. We play the 52 week low in these matches so we may actually get some strokes.

Next weekend we have our big member member event. It is 54 holes over two days. The first round is best ball, second round Chapman format and third round is Selected alternate shot which is also called Scotch. It is a great time I can't wait.

We have a few match play events. Sand Ridge Cup, which is one big up to 64 person handicapped match play bracket. I was eliminated in round one.
Member/member match play is a flighted, handicapped 4 ball match play. 16 team brackets that started in May and goes through summer. Lost in round one.
Match play championship just started in June and culminates in the semifinals and finals on Labor Day weekend. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to do that this year as we will be gone for that weekend, and luck would probably have me play out of my mind and advance all the way.

Outside of the club championship, we have a number of club majors that are all individual events

We then have a singles knockout tournament, a pairs knockout and a mixed pairs knockout as well - the only one I am still left in is the mixed, where we are through to the semi-final I think

Club Championship later in August.

I run a match-play tourney for the guys at the club that will go into august as well. I got knocked out already... so just the club champ left.

Match play tourney is in full swing. 2-0 so far, 2 more rounds potentially. Have a few weeks off to get next match scheduled.

Had our member guest 3 weekends ago. 6 teams per flight you play each team once (9 hole matches) team best ball. Then top 2 teams from each flight qualify for the shootout (horse race)
The tournament is awesome, you play your own ball and none of the stupid formats.

we also have a member event called the battle coming up in august. It’s red and blue teams 16 players each team and it’s Ryder cup style.

My club has several different ones throughout the year. The next one is a 9 hole evening followed by some late food. After the food, the back 9 is played in the dark with glowing night balls with everyone playing from forward tees. I am not sure I will participate but it does sound like fun.

Had our member guest 3 weekends ago. 6 teams per flight you play each team once (9 hole matches) team best ball. Then top 2 teams from each flight qualify for the shootout (horse race)
The tournament is awesome, you play your own ball and none of the stupid formats.

we also have a member event called the battle coming up in august. It’s red and blue teams 16 players each team and it’s Ryder cup style.
Could you explain horse race?

Our Ryder cup style tourney was a blast this year. I was a captain, we were all tied up after two days of golf, sudden death playoff, my guy birdied the hole for the W.

MGA events once a month with the 6-6-6 format next. 6 holes scramble, 6 holes alternate shot & 6 holes best ball.
MGA championship coming up as well.

MGA events once a month with the 6-6-6 format next. 6 holes scramble, 6 holes alternate shot & 6 holes best ball.
MGA championship coming up as well.
How are pairings set up?
Handicapped alt shot?

Our Ryder cup style tourney was a blast this year. I was a captain, we were all tied up after two days of golf, sudden death playoff, my guy birdied the hole for the W.
Horse race is usually alternate shot, all groups playing at the same time. A number are eliminated each hole until you get a champion. It is a lot of fun to watch with tons of people lining the holes.

First round of our member four-ball tournament today. Going to be warm and humid. Gross.

Horse race is usually alternate shot, all groups playing at the same time. A number are eliminated each hole until you get a champion. It is a lot of fun to watch with tons of people lining the holes.
Sounds awesome

Parent/Junior in 3 weeks. 18 holes with a shamble tee shot and then alternate shot from the selected drive

I struggle off the tee while my son hits 10 or more fairways a round. I do okay with approach shots, but his short game is off lately including chipping/pitching and lag putts. I’m good at lag putting, but like 50/50 once I get to 4 ft or so whereas he’s typically automatic inside of 6-8 ft.

So our strengths aren’t working together and we’d be better off if I could find a club/shot to hit more fairways so that he takes the approach shots and leaves me with the chip/pitch/lag. Our first practice round on the course in this format resulted in an 83 with a lot of 3 putts. Winner will likely be close to par or a few over.

Horse race is 9 teams start on the tee. It’s alt shot and eliminate the highest score each hole, if one more then one team tie for last then you have a chip off

Our next event is on August 14th. It is a member-member-member. Where we take the two best ball scores and we get 90% of our handicap. First time playing this format so I’m not sure how it will go. But my team practiced this on Sunday and shot a net 13 under. I have no idea if that is good or not. Guess we will see on the 14th.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Big weekend this week. Our big member member event. 18 holes best ball on Friday. Saturday morning 18 holes Chapman. Saturday afternoon 18 holes Scotch. I have been playing pretty well but played a quick 9 last night and didn’t hit it that well. Going to the range this afternoon.

We have our 5 club tournament sunday but Saturday I am playing in the NCGA (northern California Golf Association) 12 person team match play for our club. So two fairly different events.

Saturday you play in 3 matches in each foursome, each worth 2 points. So I will play an individual match, while my partner plays an individual match while we both play in a 2 person team match.

Then Sunday think I will take 7W/6I/9I/SW/PU and will probably shoot a better round than I do with all 14 clubs.

Back