Golf Club Technology Hot Takes: Which do you wish would die?

I assumed that's what you meant. SW being one component to a properly fit set. Thanks!

I admit to being one of the minority who, like Retired Boomer, is actually bothered by the jacked club number / loft correlations from circa 1960 to today.

My solution is to simply play a set of clubs with, as Boomer suggested, no club numbers. The actual loft is stamped on the soles, and the length / lie angle correlations of the clubs is set by the standards of 1960 era lofts. Now I've got a set of modern technology clubs with pre-jacked lofts. Edel makes this possible by offering options with their stamping.

This is NOT an argument against the loft changes made due to the CG differences of modern clubs. That may be a totally legitimate srgument and probably is.

This is simply to point out that if "antiquated" lofts are deployed on modern clubs, the result is a totally playable set of golf clubs.

That every new driver that comes out is THAT much better than the one from last year, which was THAT much better than the one before, etc. If it was all true, we should all be hitting 300 yard drives with no problem.

And, as others have said, stronger lofts. The old set is dead. Some sets have a 5-iron that is 21º. Heck, that is what a 3-iron used to be, and most amateurs couldn't hit those. I see many golfers struggle with not only today's 5-iron, but even the 6. Instead of a set being comprised of 4-PW, perhaps 6/7-AW would be more appropriate?

That their new unfitted driver will hit it farther and straighter for them. Over half the golfers I know have never been though a proper fitting for their driver or irons, let alone their putter.

I'm comfortable going with instinct and feel with my .370 graphite shafts,
but ceding to the prevalent trends, went to the launch monitor/simulator for my .335 shafts.

Needless to say, the fitter and equipment put me with shafts that cost as much as some sets that I've owned in the past.
For better or worse, I bit, so we'll see if the simulator results come true on the course come April.

I'm keeping an open mind.

I’d not get rid of anything. I focus on some of it and not other parts. Life is like a box of chocolates.

Only one that I hear even remotely regularly is the loft jacking - it's basically a __ iron argument. I could live without that. I get it from the guy that does my loft and lie work. He's no amateur, but he's older. Try to explain to him how the number doesn't really matter and how they've changed and he barks the same thing back every time. "If it's this loft it's a ___." I really don't give a flip what anyone calls it. Call my set a 2-9 with 2 wedges, or a 4-9 with 4. Makes no difference to me. What does make a difference is how they're built, not the loft. Because I can lift just about any modern club into the stratosphere, but you hand me a nice vintage 2 iron and shaft my same lofted 4 at equal length and they're sure gonna fly different, land different, and hold different. Call them basically the same if you want to also say that I can stop and hold a 2-iron better than any golfer in history.

Outside of him, my group's all pretty open to tech and doesn't argue against anything that might help their game.

Back