Golf Club Technology Hot Takes: Which do you wish would die?

That hybrids are hook machines. I put that theory to rest last week...in a bad way :cool:

Oh, another!

Offset causes hooks.

Turbulators on top and on the bottom, flex soles.

I feel like some people are misunderstanding the question of the thread.

When we see new clubs released, it never fails that there are some topics/technologies that are always accompanied by the same old arguments against. Well, now is the time to tell THP, which of the same old talking points from average golfers do you wish would die?

Is it OK to DEFEND one of the same old arguments?

Callaway, Cleveland, Cobra, Mizuno, Ping, TaylorMade, Titleist, Wilson: not one of these major OEMs makes a driver or fairway wood with loft / lie / face angle correlations that are playable for me. This even applies to those with adjustable hosel gadgets, and I'm not sure about movable parts on golf clubs anyway.

Henry-Griffitts drivers and fairway metals are not as technically advanced as what the big OEMs can offer. But tech doesn't work if it doesn't fit.
Henry-Griffitts lets the customer specify loft, lie, and face angles, without moveable gadgets, and good fit helps more than good tech with poor fit.

One mistake the OEMs make is in thinking that every lower speed swinger slices. Some people have good swings that have slowed down with age and reduced flexibility. We don't slice. We don't need closed faces just because our drivers are higher lofted.

Then there are the much more upright lie angles. Compare modern lie angles with the standard lie angles on wooded woods from the past. Are people suddenly being born with longers legs and torsos but shorter arms? The manufactures talk about graphite shaft droop but they radically over-compensate for it. Those of us with flatter draw swings have less shaft droop than more upright swinging power fade players.

I find it hard to believe that I'm the only player that likes more loft, slightly open face angles, and flatter lies--but maybe I am.

Last edited:
that shaft isn't the real deal....that one can die IMO.

Thats number one for me too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s not about age, it’s about science.

Materials have changed. Applications have changed. Center of Gravity has DRAMATICALLY changed. All these things have NECESSITATED lofts to move.

I don’t understand people not liking lower lofted irons that fligh as high as their old counterparts but but with easier launch, lower spin, and more distance AND forgiveness.

I do recognize your point, but believe me, resistance to change is most certainly about age!

That their new unfitted driver will hit it farther and straighter for them. Over half the golfers I know have never been though a proper fitting for their driver or irons, let alone their putter.

Jacked lofts??? I don't understand it; and because I don't understand it, I'm going to take it as a sign of disrespect!

I agree on the jacked lofts. Every year it comes up no less then 3 times. There's a reason for it people!

That their new unfitted driver will hit it farther and straighter for them. Over half the golfers I know have never been though a proper fitting for their driver or irons, let alone their putter.

I wish that those fitting centers were situated in green grass golf course pro shops. That's the only place pro line clubs were sold when I was a kid.
Fair trade laws were legal then so the clubs had to be sold at manufacture's list price and club pros could make a living. Sounds expensive, but a top of the line wood was forty bucks back then and a top of the line iron was twenty-five bucks. Hard to imagine, really, but the increase is a lot more than inflation.

Sporting goods stores sold clubs as well, but they were inexpensive store line models back then.

Anyway, those days are gone, but it was good to be fitted by a teaching pro who knew your game, not just how to interpret a launch monitor.

Not strictly tech, but I get tired of the "hate how it looks" refrain when new clubs come out.

Lofts and distance. Saying lofts don't matter misses the mark to me in the same way that I think saying modern clubs have jacked lofts is unfair. Distance correlates with loft and club designers have a bigger toolbox than just lofts for ball fight and distance. Great. Lots of options. Pick what works. I will also note my cynical side and admit that I believe 7 iron distance is a big part of what sells iron sets. Designers have to feel some pressure there.

Wedges and higher spin. Looking at several comparison tests out there, the differences in spin across wedges are very small and vary by the tester.

Is it OK to DEFEND one of the same old arguments?

Callaway, Cleveland, Cobra, Mizuno, Ping, TaylorMade, Titleist, Wilson: not one of these major OEMs makes a driver or fairway wood with loft / lie / face angle correlations that are playable for me. This even applies to those with adjustable hosel gadgets, and I'm not sure about movable parts on golf clubs anyway.

Henry-Griffitts drivers and fairway metals are not as technically advanced as what the big OEMs can offer. But tech doesn't work if it doesn't fit.
Henry-Griffitts lets the customer specify loft, lie, and face angles, without moveable gadgets, and good fit helps more than good tech with poor fit.

One mistake the OEMs make is in thinking that every lower speed swinger slices. Some people have good swings that have slowed down with age and reduced flexibility. We don't slice. We don't need closed faces just because our drivers are higher lofted.

Then there are the much more upright lie angles. Compare modern lie angles with the standard lie angles on wooded woods from the past. Are people suddenly being born with longers legs and torsos but shorter arms? The manufactures talk about graphite shaft droop but they radically over-compensate for it. Those of us with flatter draw swings have less shaft droop than more upright swinging power fade players.

I find it hard to believe that I'm the only player that likes more loft, slightly open face angles, and flatter lies--but maybe I am.

Of course it's okay to defend a stance.
I dont think most OEMs think moderate swing speed players slice the ball. In fact I think its the opposite, which is why we have so many adjustable options in weight.

Lower spin.
Continually touted.

However things are getting so low spin these days that some of us mere mortals can’t keep the ball in the air.

Pretty soon I’ll need a 20* driver.
At my last fitting I was gaming a 16* ladies driver head fitted with an R flex shaft. Spin was only mid 2000’s.

Price = Performance

Lower spin.
Continually touted.

However things are getting so low spin these days that some of us mere mortals can’t keep the ball in the air.

Pretty soon I’ll need a 20* driver.
At my last fitting I was gaming a 16* ladies driver head fitted with an R flex shaft. Spin was only mid 2000’s.

Legit question.. Why didn't you just change the golf ball to one that spun more? That seems like a way cheaper way to get your spin up.

It’s not about age, it’s about science.

Materials have changed. Applications have changed. Center of Gravity has DRAMATICALLY changed. All these things have NECESSITATED lofts to move.

I don’t understand people not liking lower lofted irons that fligh as high as their old counterparts but but with easier launch, lower spin, and more distance AND forgiveness.
"It’s not about age, it’s about science."

Ha, tell this 67 your old body it isn't about age. You are right, it is about science. My brain wants the body to turn but the body says oh hell no. Lol

Good points..

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

Legit question.. Why didn't you just change the golf ball to one that spun more? That seems like a way cheaper way to get your spin up.

At the time I was playing a Chrome Soft. I thought that is a pretty spinny ball, No?

I need height though too. I deloft a bunch at impact and it kills my dynamic loft/ launch angle.

I do recognize your point, but believe me, resistance to change is most certainly about age!

Hahha. I feel ya there. I have not defeated age a single time yet, and dont think its going to happen any time soon.

At the time I was playing a Chrome Soft. I thought that is a pretty spinny ball, No?

I need height though too. I deloft a bunch at impact and it kills my dynamic loft/ launch angle.

It might spin more off one club vs another but I’m not 100% sure if it’s spinnier than say an RX-S or not.

It might spin more off one club vs another but I’m not 100% sure if it’s spinnier than say an RX-S or not.

Its a pretty low spin ball off the tee. Depending on speed and impact location, something firmer, could add more spin.

Back