Golf course members, sell me on membership

93civiccpe

#LunaticFringe / "Hips Don't Lie" - Shakira
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
After a discussion in another thread it got me thinking because I've never really considered joining a private golf club. I've been fortunate to play several of the private courses locally and below are the pros and cons that I see, what am I missing?
Pros:
Courses are in fantastic shape
The course has a quick pace of play and good spacing between tee times
Courses are generally more challenging than the municipal courses
There's a good locker room, dining area, other amenities
You don't have to worry about the idiot golfers that can ruin a round quickly
Unlimited driving range use
Access to the teaching pro /lessons
Leagues

Cons :
Price of joining can be steep
Does playing the same course over and over get boring?
Limits who you play with regularly (friends who are not members)
Seems more serious at the private courses I've played

For me, it is a combination of a number of things

1 - being able to go out and play as many holes as you want without thinking that you have paid for 18 and only end up playing 9 etc - we sometimes head up late on a Saturday/Sunday and just play 3/5/9 holes depending on how much time we have
2 - our course is fairly quiet at certain times, and there have been evenings after work during the summer when I have gone out and played 18 with a friend and seen almost nobody on the course
3 - the social side of our club is pretty good, they have monthly quiz nights, the food is excellent

The only downside to my club (which is soon to be rectified once the current Covid-19 situation clears) is they don't have a decent range/practice area, but there are plans in motion to add a driving range and dedicated short game practice area on the existing practice ground

At the end of the day, only you can decide if it is worthwhile, but for me, it definitely is based on the number of rounds I play and the cost for the year - there is nowhere I could pay green fees and get as much golf as I do
We will still visit other courses every once in a while to play somewhere different, but I am definitely happy playing the majority of my golf at my home club - slight disclaimer in that I play league matches for my club, so I do get to play 8-9 different courses each year in the league anyway

Edit - in terms of not playing as much with friends who aren't members - they are members at other clubs, so we will play at their club and they will come to mine and pay guest rates, so it is cheaper than a normal green fee

Over the years, having belonged to both a moderate and a higher end private club, let me give you my perspective for what it's worth:

Pros:
Courses are in fantastic shape - Depending on the course "fantastic" may be overstating it. The higher end club the more likely that is.
The course has a quick pace of play and good spacing between tee times - That can vary. Depends on how many members the club has. As a rule of thumb 400-450 is the guideline to have reasonable availability of tee times and pace of play but one of the courses at the club I belonged to had over 600. Weekends can be slow depending on what time you tee off.
Courses are generally more challenging than the municipal courses - Tends to be true.
There's a good locker room, dining area, other amenities - Yes
You don't have to worry about the idiot golfers that can ruin a round quickly - Not true. You can find idiots anywhere and everywhere. They say one out of every three persons is one. :)
Unlimited driving range use - Yes
Access to the teaching pro /lessons - Yes
Leagues - Yes but if you play during the week there are some leagues that can interfere with course availability if you are not playing in them. A course I belonged to was closed on Monday and had a senior men's, ladies 18 and ladies 9-hole leagues that played on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays respectively.

Cons :
Price of joining can be steep - So can dues. If you like to ride cart fees can be extra and some clubs have a food and beverage "nut" you have to meet each month. The higher end club I belonged to had $450/month dues but my monthly bill was usually $800-850.
Does playing the same course over and over get boring? - Never did for me
Limits who you play with regularly (friends who are not members) - To a degree but you get to meet and make a lot of new friends, too.
Seems more serious at the private courses I've played - Can be but not necessarily.

One "Pro" you didn't mention are the tournaments that are run on a pretty professional basis and can vary in format and be a lot of fun. Both types of clubs I belonged to had monthly tournaments and, of course, at the top end were the Club, Women's and Senior Men's Championships.

Personally, if I could afford it I would opt for private all day! :D

I think it depends on a lot of factors. For me, my home course is over $100 a round for non members and it is easily the best course in the area. I pay $22 for cart fees which is not that much more then any other course around here for members. I also get free range balls and most courses do not include that for members here. The range balls all happen to be almost brand new ProV1 Practice balls and are regularly replaced with new ones where most courses buy the cheapest, usually limited flight, balls they can get. I play 2-4 times a week and most of it is there. I am easily getting my money’s worth.

I still play other courses in the area some too as they are usually $30-40 depending on the course. They are no where near as nice or as challenging and for the most part short. Senior tees at my home course play longer then the men’s tees at most of the courses around here.

I am also close with the pro at my home course. If I am going to take a lesson, it is going to be with him. He is excellent and always makes me improve. We literally text each other 3-4 days a week about different things golf related. It is a good relationship that I really enjoy.

My home course also has a FlightScope available members can take out on the range and use to dial in. They are in the process of building a facility at the range with 4-5 indoor bays. They will have multiple cameras in each bay to record and analyze for teaching purposes. They are also planning on getting one of those vests with sensors that monitor your positions through the swing. Obviously there will be costs associated with use on these things but still pretty cool.

All in all it is just way more bang for my buck at the best course in the area.

I just joined locally this year and it has been great. At first I was not so sure, but now I am sold. Cost would have been a factor as some course are out of my price range for what they offer. For someone that really started last year it was the right decision for me. It is a very challenging course and has helped me greatly when I go play elsewhere. I cannot believe how my scores have changed at other courses now.

I only really wanted the green fees and practice time. I am not into the social aspect of a golf club and really could care less about that and the facilities are not that great at this course so that was not a pro of joining. I joined to play and that is what I do. They do not have a range ball program and you have to pay cart fees even though you are a member. I walk mostly with a push cart so cart fee is not a big issue. The only thing I don't like is that I wished it were an 18 hole and not a 9 hole.

The thing that stands out the most is that I can go there as many times a week as I want and practice or play. I am already hitting the practice greens about 3 times a week now and at least playing once or twice a week there. The full on course playing/practice is making a big difference in my game. I do still go to other courses, but so far I have not gotten too bored with playing the same course.

I figure after I retire I probably won't hit the other courses as much due to spending the extra money and will probably hang at the local course where I have membership.

I've been a member at 3 different private courses over the years. You hit on some of the pros and cons. I'll mention a few things I experienced.

The best parts about private membership at all the clubs I played were that there was almost always someone to play golf with on any given day. The exception would be on days that the club had outings. Courses were in great shape, though not any more challenging, and pace of play was much faster than public golf. I will say it did get boring, at times, playing the same course over and over. I met a lot of great friends that I wouldn't have otherwise known, had I not joined those clubs. Unlimited golf is great if you're one of those play every day guys.

When I was playing almost every day, I didn't mind the cost so much. As I've gotten older(and stiffer) and play less, the cost of private membership got to be too high for my limited use.

The range was irons only and not included. Carts were not included though you could get a yearly plan. Food minimums, assessments, tournament fees, tips, tips, tips....it all adds up.

All that said, If you've got the cash, by all means try it. If I still played enough rounds to justify it, I'd still be a member.

I'd be careful that you don't allocate too much money to golf as very few Americans are saving enough for other future expenses like retirement, health care, and college savings(if you have kids). I didn't join a private club until I was 45 because it didn't make financial sense. We took care of the other big financial obligations first - for us those were retirement nest egg being on track and college 529 plans for our three children. For me, this meant I would never spend more than 3% of take-home pay on all golf expenses. Your priorities may be different as I have buddies that easily spend 10% of their take-home pay on golf expenses.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned is that walking into a public course bar after a round is completely different than at a private club. At the public muni you're just another paying customer. At a private club you're a member and everyone nods and acknowledges you.

That vibe is very cool.

I miss the 2 private clubs I joined in the mid 1980's -2000. I miss the camaraderie, of like minded people who respect golf etiquette, and the condition of the course. I miss 3 hour rounds, or choosing from any of 6 courses to play, (PGA West).
I mostly miss excellent practice facilities. Many public driving ranges are an afterthought, and poorly maintained.
I don't miss the monthly costs, over $1200 per month.

Litmus test items to review to determine if you are cut out to be a private member
1] Were you in a frat in college?
2] When you drive up to the club, does your car belong in the parking lot?
3] Can you join without a need to analyze your finances to determine if you should join?
If you answer no to any of above.....you shouldn't join.

I have belonged to a club for 3 years now. I have met some great people and the golf isn’t half bad either. I love being able to go over during my “lunch break” since I work from home and play 9. This way I play almost every day. Last year I played over 150 rounds and no way I would play that much if I didn’t belong to a club. And since I work from home it gives me a social outlet I wouldn’t otherwise have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some great replies guys that confirmed some things but also opened my eyes to things I hadn't considered.
I'd be careful that you don't allocate too much money to golf as very few Americans are saving enough for other future expenses like retirement, health care, and college savings(if you have kids). I didn't join a private club until I was 45 because it didn't make financial sense. We took care of the other big financial obligations first - for us those were retirement nest egg being on track and college 529 plans for our three children. For me, this meant I would never spend more than 3% of take-home pay on all golf expenses. Your priorities may be different as I have buddies that easily spend 10% of their take-home pay on golf expenses.
This is one of the reasons I haven't joined yet. The one course that close and incredible is quite pricey since my kids are still young. At some point that will be less of an issue and I am interested in joining there.

Litmus test items to review to determine if you are cut out to be a private member
3] Can you join without a need to analyze your finances to determine if you should join?
1-never in a frat (was an athlete)
2-don't let vehicles define me.. If rather have an older muscle car than a luxury car.. I like cars that I can work on
3-I'm fiscally conservative which is why it hasn't made sense to join yet.

I am curious about your reasoning for #1 and #2 above. The fraternities at my college were not highly respected and I would not be surprised if half or more are behind bars or deceased..

Some great replies guys that confirmed some things but also opened my eyes to things I hadn't considered.

This is one of the reasons I haven't joined yet. The one course that close and incredible is quite pricey since my kids are still young. At some point that will be less of an issue and I am interested in joining there.

2-don't let vehicles define me.. If rather have an older muscle car than a luxury car.. I like cars that I can work on

I am curious about your reasoning for #1 and #2 above. The fraternities at my college were not highly respected and I would not be surprised if half or more are behind bars or deceased..
Joining a club is a lot more about socializing than golfing. It defines your network...like minded etc...Being in a club there are many cliques. The car you drive is a simple way to view if you fit...So not all clubs have members who drive high end cars...some actually have gear heads too. Who you gonna play with if you join.
The first club I joined....I joined so my kids would have better access to play then around public places.

Joining a club is a lot more about socializing than golfing. It defines your network...like minded etc...Being in a club there are many cliques. The car you drive is a simple way to view if you fit...So not all clubs have members who drive high end cars...some actually have gear heads too. Who you gonna play with if you join.
The first club I joined....I joined so my kids would have better access to play then around public places.
That makes sense. I realize a big part of club membership is the social aspect and you want to get along with the others in the club

This could be one of the least informed posts I have seen.
I would completely ignore the “advice” above. I could answer no to any of these questions above and belonging to a private club has been a very positive experience for me and my family. It seems like there is a desire to paint a group of people in a certain light that the author feels he is not part of, either by choice, or not.

What an absolute load of ****

This could be one of the least informed posts I have seen.
I would completely ignore the “advice” above. I could answer no to any of these questions above and belonging to a private club has been a very positive experience for me and my family. It seems like there is a desire to paint a group of people in a certain light that the author feels he is not part of, either by choice, or not.
If options 1 and 2 are considered reasons for joining a club then I would avoid the club as it probably says more about the type of person you are likely to come across in the club - your background and the car you drive have zero bearing on you as a person

Option 3 is the only sensible piece of advice in that post that you need to consider

Been a member of a semi-private club now for over 15 years and agree with most all the pro’s and con’s mentioned. I like to play a lot of golf and our season being so short (6 months), I try my best to play 4-5 times per week. As a result, my cost works out between $12-$15/round, walking.

Being one of top 2 courses within an hour of my home, I never get bored either playing with buddies or as a single at night enjoying the solitude and maybe hitting multiple shot, just chilling. If someone comes along behind me, I just let them play through as I never feel the need at those times to maximize the # of holes. I just like the option of making a quick call and if course quiet on a late Saturday or Sunday and going out to work on something that may have nagged me earlier in the day. I find membership less stressful when everything rolled in but again, mine isn’t fully private and no food mins, etc. Just great course, practice area/range and great food.

This is my third year at a private course. First private membership I got at 57 years old. So in 2018 I played often but sadly, during the summer my right hip became arthritic and I could no longer walk the course...couldn't play in the club championship and was bummed 'cause I missed out. Then the hip just got worse so 2019 started out with total hip replacement surgery which made last year's golf sporadic. I actually played quite well but I couldn't play multiple days in a row and thus again missed the club championship.

2020? Just the worse pandemic in 102 years.

Cripes.

All that said, I thoroughly enjoy my membership and look forward to a complete year whenever that may happen.

Been a member of a semi-private club now for over 15 years and agree with most all the pro’s and con’s mentioned. I like to play a lot of golf and our season being so short (6 months), I try my best to play 4-5 times per week. As a result, my cost works out between $12-$15/round, walking.

Being one of top 2 courses within an hour of my home, I never get bored either playing with buddies or as a single at night enjoying the solitude and maybe hitting multiple shot, just chilling. If someone comes along behind me, I just let them play through as I never feel the need at those times to maximize the # of holes. I just like the option of making a quick call and if course quiet on a late Saturday or Sunday and going out to work on something that may have nagged me earlier in the day. I find membership less stressful when everything rolled in but again, mine isn’t fully private and no food mins, etc. Just great course, practice area/range and great food.
This sounds like it might be ideal for me at this phase of my life.. Less of a financial burden but still a lot of the benefits. I'll have to check and see what opportunities there are locally.

Hierarchy of Private Clubs.....and Anyone that thinks there isn't a Social hierarchy of Private Clubs is sadly uninformed.....
tier 1...if you have to ask to join you will never be able to join.....tier 2...if any one person on the committee doesn't approve you can't join....tier 3....you must be invite and 2nd by members for an interview...tier 4....you must be invited by a member....tier 5....doors are open for anyone to submit an application....tier 6...if you pay you are in....
People that join frats at college almost always then join private clubs if they golf. They are accustom to a social network. If you don't think first impressions make a big difference then by all means drive your old beat up car up to the club you are wanting to join.

Hierarchy of Private Clubs.....and Anyone that thinks there isn't a Social hierarchy of Private Clubs is sadly uninformed.....
tier 1...if you have to ask to join you will never be able to join.....tier 2...if any one person on the committee doesn't approve you can't join....tier 3....you must be invite and 2nd by members for an interview...tier 4....you must be invited by a member....tier 5....doors are open for anyone to submit an application....tier 6...if you pay you are in....
People that join frats at college almost always then join private clubs if they golf. They are accustom to a social network. If you don't think first impressions make a big difference then by all means drive your old beat up car up to the club you are wanting to join.
But this description makes me less likely to want to join a club..

Not sure I'm following all of the tiers here but yes, you're correct that there's a hierarchy in place at private clubs. I took less exception than others to your initial post as I read it as the very general guideline that I believe you intended it to be. I never cared to join a frat in college but yup, I had a few old stickers on the tailgate of my truck when I joined. I scraped them off.

This is year three for me....I still keep my mouth shut. Nobody wants a bunch of opinions from a newb. Maybe in a few years, I would be more inclined to speak up about something but for now, I'm thrilled to be at such a beautiful place.

Cliques have never bothered me as I've always seen it as human nature. You act differently around people you now than people you don't know. In time, you'll be part of a clique yourself.

I joined a local club this year as a full time member. They had a promo over the off season and i was wanting a place to call home. It is 6 minutes from my front door. I find a great sense of satisfaction knowing I have a place to go any time. I played every day, which was only for 2 weeks, before the club shut down due to the virus. I played 5 holes or 9 hole or 18 holes or no holes and simply walked about with a 7 iron. It's great not feeling like I have to play a certain amount to get my monies worth compared to when you pay before your round (i know that sounds odd as i paid my yearly fee but i consider that money as gone). Without question I will continue to play elsewhere on occasion. The guest rate is fair enough that my regulars can join me without paying a significant $$. I too am financially conservative but I consider membership money well spent.

There is a big difference between proprietary private club (initiation fee ranging from probably $10,000 to $500,000 and $700 to $1,500 month dues) versus non-proprietary (little or no initiation fee and monthly dues of about $200 to $600 per month).

There is a big difference between proprietary private club (initiation fee ranging from probably $10,000 to $500,000 and $700 to $1,500 month dues) versus non-proprietary (little or no initiation fee and monthly dues of about $200 to $600 per month).

Um, yeah, I'm in the second one!

Back