WMac19

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I've struggled with toe contact... forever. Especially with irons, REALLY bad lately, bleeding fully into wedges. I'd also lost distance on the rare solid strike over the past couple of seasons and that's been an effect suffered throughout the bag. Figured age as I'll turn 50 this year.

I read very recently that toe contact can be caused by the right elbow being higher at address than the left. Certainly, that's not me! So I self-checked in the mirror to eliminate the possibility.

Holy cow! My set-up was way wrong, AWFUL. My arms looked as they should for a left-handed golfer, trouble is I'm very much right-handed. My right arm was completely straight, left bent and sure enough, right elbow higher than left. Just awful.

Getting it closer to proper feels really, really weird, as if hitting uphill. After hitting a couple thin, I was dead center of the clubface with irons nearly all day.

Distance returned with a vengeance as I was hitting higher and longer shots than ever. 191 yard 7-iron? 205 yard 6-iron? 182 yard 8-iron? All laser measured back to the tee from the ball-mark on the green, not where it came to rest. Thats a club longer carry than I was at my longest.

Nuked plenty of greens, still managed a 79 but I was scrambling to do so.

I'm just so completely psyched to have seemingly found a cure for toe strikes. I only hit near the toe on three shots and two of them had the ball below my feet. That has NEVER happened in my golfing life of 25 or so years!

Oh my, the game is fun when you're flushing nearly every shot! ?

Man there's nothing like the feeling of fixing a swing flaw and getting the results you want! It's exhilarating and addictive... Especially when you can drive it consistently. Congrats and keep dropping bombs!

Same thing happened with me today, but mine was a simple body alignment fix with my driver and 3W. They were going straight and were consistent. It felt awesome!

Man there's nothing like the feeling of fixing a swing flaw and getting the results you want! It's exhilarating and addictive... Especially when you can drive it consistently. Congrats and keep dropping bombs!
Thanks. I'm well aware that golf won't allow it to continue. But because I've never taken a lesson, I've never had an extra pair of eyes nor even checked my address position myself for a few years.

To think I may have stumbled upon a fix for my perennially haunting curse? Man, do I hope so! ?

Played 29 holes today, didn't want the feeling of flushed irons to stop. Completely intoxicating.

Grats on getting this one figured out! Must be on cloud 9

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grats on getting this one figured out! Must be on cloud 9

Playing again tomorrow. I must validate, lol...

One thing that might help is recording yourself on a few homes while out there. Of course I'm a higher handicapper than you, but it is absolutely helping me. It erases the gap between what you think your swing looks like and what it actually looks like. It's even helping me with timing. I record it on my phone using a remote activated tripod a great THPer recommended for me.

Great advice and I'll hafta do just that. I haven't recorded my swing in maybe 3 years.

Thanks. I'm well aware that golf won't allow it to continue. But because I've never taken a lesson, I've never had an extra pair of eyes nor even checked my address position myself for a few years.

To think I may have stumbled upon a fix for my perennially haunting curse? Man, do I hope so! ��

Played 29 holes today, didn't want the feeling of flushed irons to stop. Completely intoxicating.

If you have an iPhone have some one record you in slo-mo. (maybe the other phones do it as well)
I had my son record my swing and then I looked at the video and it helped me work on my flaws.

That is actually interesting, and I will have to get in front of a mirror myself and see what I am doing. don't think I hit off the toe as much, but is definitely something I should look at.

Strangely enough, I've checked my putter stance and chipping stance in the mirror from time to time. But I hadn't checked anything else in quite a while. And I'd read that it's recommended to do so from time to time yet still I didnt, LOL...

Shame on me.

Nice thoughts man. I'm going to remember this tip

Um... VALIDATED! ?

37/38 = 75, and I TRIPLE-bogied 18! Skies opened up, my grip was gone. Stinks, disappointing but I honestly know that to be the cause so it does absolutely nothing to steal my enthusiasm.

Had I just bogied, I'd have tied my personal best of +1. Rats.

15/18 GIR. That has NEVER, ever, never-ever happened before. 3 birdies, 12/14 fairways. Different game, holy smokes... sweet-spot rocks!

Sounds like you've got some stuff sorted Mac!! That's awesome!

Awesome scoring Mac! I'm getting excited just reading your posts! The enthusiasm comes through loud & clear. Keep it up, man!

Thanks guys! ?

Today passed two tests. One was validation that the fix is legit. Second, my buddy who wanted to see it to believe it played with me today. He was just as excited as I was, the man was fist bumping me every other shot... so very cool. So it worked with eyes on me too.

Next comes the second buddy test, the Doubting Thomas. He's a supportive friend and hopes it's true but I've played with him more than enough for him to know that toe contact is (was?! ?) my normal contact. He wants more strokes already, LOL.

We'll see....

Thanks for sharing WMac! Great to see you enjoying your game and hitting quality shots.

Toe contact has been the bane of my golf game this year and not feeling flushed shots has taken a bit of joy away. Will try this at the range next time out. This could be huge for me.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

Thanks for sharing WMac! Great to see you enjoying your game and hitting quality shots.

Toe contact has been the bane of my golf game this year and not feeling flushed shots has taken a bit of joy away. Will try this at the range next time out. This could be huge for me.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk
Hoping for similar for you.

Very, very small sample size but I noticed my buddy with straight and nearly locked right elbow too on 16 tee. Right elbow was very slightly above left, not nearly as much as mine, but noticeable when looking for it.

Not wanting to throw him off too much, I just had him take tension out of that elbow at address, let gravity allow it to sag just a bit.

He's a low 20's HC and a fantastic athlete, pretty new to the game. He hits a fade to slice with all his clubs. I've seen him hit maybe two or three strong and straights shots per round, can't recall any consecutive.

After the "fix," he hit three straight strong drives, a couple of hybrids and irons, straight to draw, one pull. His accuracy was still off but not one ball headed right.

We joked afterward that even if this thing was similar to Romeo's whacky advice in Tin Cup, we don't care. Snake oil's just fine if you really think it works! ?

Back