Golf Etiquette on the course

MagicSpell

Team Hackers in 2022 Morgan Cup
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
18 ish
Professional golf seems to be in the minority when it comes to fan behavior affecting the players. Other sports have fans trying to distract players at times during the game (shooting free throws in basketball, free kicks in soccer, disrupting players at bat in baseball, etc). Golf seems to be more refined in those areas but golf also is one of the few sports where the fans can actually influence the result of a shot. I know the players can handle the distraction (as evidenced by the 16th hole at the TPC Scottsdale during the Waste Management tourney) so what is really the issue with fans yelling during a players shot? These guys (and gals) at the professional level are good enough to be able to focus even with the distractions.

So what say you? Is fan etiquette on the golf course really all that big a deal? We've all seen players "blame" a mistimed photo click or yell causing a poor outcome of their swing or putt but is it really that big an effect?
What are some of the worst instances of this you can remember and did they result in changing the outcome of a tournament/match?

I've always thought people who complain about distractions on the golf course were a bit much, especially pros.

I don't care if you hop around and do a jig while I am swinging or putting. Doesn't bother me in the least. Some people get freaked out if you fart 1/2 mile away.

I think it’s good to be mindful of the players around you, tour pros or at your home course. It’s good etiquette to be still and quiet when someone is swinging.

However, i do roll my eyes when I’m playing with someone who asks a player to move cause they can see them in their peripherals, or when a player gets upset when there’s movement or noise while they’re trying to make a stroke

I have trouble with distractions during the swing but I try to deal with it without saying anything. I think that anybody who yells after a players shot should be ejected from the tournament. If they yell during the swing they should be beaten with a shiddy mop.

badolds;n8887578 said:
I have trouble with distractions during the swing but I try to deal with it without saying anything. I think that anybody who yells after a players shot should be ejected from the tournament. If they yell during the swing they should be beaten with a shiddy mop.

100% agree with this - My least favorite part of watching golf is hearing those idiots.

millsan1;n8887466 said:
I've always thought people who complain about distractions on the golf course were a bit much, especially pros.

I don't care if you hop around and do a jig while I am swinging or putting. Doesn't bother me in the least. Some people get freaked out if you fart 1/2 mile away.

It's just a good excuse for a poorly made shot.

It doesn't bother me personally, but I take 100% responsibility for my actions. If there is a distraction I should be smart enough to step off the ball and wait for said distraction to stop.

That being said, I think there should be fan etiquette on the course and people should respect it. I can't stand the people that yell and think it should be an auto-ejection from the property.

I for one love the atmosphere of #16 at the waste management open. It's certainly not quiet like every other golf tournament... there is a sort of white noise of patrons talking and it just seems more relaxed that way. Sure there are drunks yelling out obscenities but hey roll with the punches tour players, your sport could use a little more excitement. Adapt. I think it would be nice if some courses would have this laid back mentality to a hole or two.

I think some of the pros reactions are over the top, as well, and also an example of poor etiquette.

I think they sometimes use a "distraction" as an excuse for a poor shot. If they would have hit the shot they wanted to, I'm sure whatever distraction they called out after a less than desirable shot would have never been mentioned.

I usually tune everything out. I can see where the pros have issue because generally it is dead quiet when they are on the tee box so that sudden noise could get to them. That being said, you would think they would have better mental capacity to tune it out.

The only sport I was ever good at was hockey.

I'm a goalie.

People actively tried to make it harder for me to stop the puck.

The need for silence when hitting amuses me greatly.

I genuinely think there are two different sides to it. Firstly, the pros can probably play perfectly well with the noise, as evidenced by the Waste Management situation where it gets them going and they genuinely love it. The problem comes with just a random one off shout by a cretin who's had one beer too many and thinks they're a comedian. If a person shouts anything at all 'hilarious' during a swing simply for sh*ts and giggles and to try and get on the TV then they are a complete moron and need to be ejected from the venue and banned from all further ones. Rant over!

I don’t think it’s a news flash that golf tends to take itself a bit too seriously. It is, after all, a game.

MagicSpell;n8887411 said:
Professional golf seems to be in the minority when it comes to fan behavior affecting the players. Other sports have fans trying to distract players at times during the game (shooting free throws in basketball, free kicks in soccer, disrupting players at bat in baseball, etc). Golf seems to be more refined in those areas but golf also is one of the few sports where the fans can actually influence the result of a shot. I know the players can handle the distraction (as evidenced by the 16th hole at the TPC Scottsdale during the Waste Management tourney) so what is really the issue with fans yelling during a players shot? These guys (and gals) at the professional level are good enough to be able to focus even with the distractions.

So what say you? Is fan etiquette on the golf course really all that big a deal? We've all seen players "blame" a mistimed photo click or yell causing a poor outcome of their swing or putt but is it really that big an effect?
What are some of the worst instances of this you can remember and did they result in changing the outcome of a tournament/match?

I am not sure but I wish that jackass that has to scream "get in the hole" on every shot would go away. :angry: My wife who does not play golf knows the ball cannot get into the hole when driving, why scream it? Idiots...

5150;n8897594 said:
I don’t think it’s a news flash that golf tends to take itself a bit too seriously. It is, after all, a game.

I don't think the fact that its a game should make it where as people can lack etiquette. We do all kinds of things for fun and recreation and yet all kinds of things are often ruined more and more these days as people simply display less and less etiquette in general. I wish there were many more scenarios (things we do) where certain level of etiquette would be demanded. Im all for preserving any amount we can any way we can within this growing etiquette slipping society.

Its to the point nowadays most anywhere we go for the things we do are plagued with too many rules and regulations to a degree that things are not even as fun anymore. But the reason it has to be that way is because too many bad apples who don't know how to have fun without being disruptive and don't how to display good etiquette ruin it for everyone else.

zbeekner4;n8887484 said:
I think it’s good to be mindful of the players around you, tour pros or at your home course. It’s good etiquette to be still and quiet when someone is swinging.

However, i do roll my eyes when I’m playing with someone who asks a player to move cause they can see them in their peripherals, or when a player gets upset when there’s movement or noise while they’re trying to make a stroke

Agree with you on guys who can't hit if you're standing in the wrong spot. :bad:

It does jack me up when it's quiet and someone starts talking in my downswing, but i like playing with music on as white noise.

Been to a couple of big events many years ago. I attended a Ryder Cup for all days of the event, including early practice rounds. One of the European players stopped mid-swing on the tee box and turned to a pro photographer behind the tee that had released the shutter and both he and his caddy greatly admonished said photographer to an embarrassing degree. I cringed at the tongue lashing. The player then reset, hit the tee shot and he proceeded to stare down the photographer again. It was intense. I definitely didn't want to be "that" guy.

Fast forward to 2 weeks ago, I was at a practice putting green at a local course working on chipping and putting when I started to hear ZZ Top coming towards me. The 18th hole was behind me and I turned and looked, there was a foursome, two carts and 4 guys in their 40's, not dressed in traditional golfing attire (t-shirts) playing their approach shots to the green. The music was loud and audible for hundreds of yards in all directions. Beers were visible and cigar smoke was in the air. This loud music continued as they parked their carts up by the green and continued on until they finished putting out and drove around over to the cart barn. Then the music stopped. I like ZZ Top but not while I'm golfing. I couldn't believe how disruptive this was. But it must be normal these days. Personally, I like it quiet and peaceful out on the course.

Last night I went on Prime and streamed the PGA channel and watched the 2019 Honda Classic because it was at PGA National, my old home stomping grounds. They had the cameras setup at the Bear Trap on The Champion course at 15, 16, 17 and 18. Huge stands were erected and the constant chatter was clearly audible the whole time and IMHO, very disrespectful. And of course, the drunks yelling "IN THE HOLE!!!" on every tee shot, right after ball contact on the 15th & 17th par 3's. Smack my head! Wow! 30+ years ago, this behavior was not in existence yet at major events, that I recall.

USAF Ret in Wis;n8898652 said:
It does jack me up when it's quiet and someone starts talking in my downswing, but i like playing with music on as white noise.

Completely agree on this. Sporadic or random noises in a downswing is never ok. I just meant to say the general noise when someone is lining up a putt or going through their pre shot routine, etc. and they stop everything to shush people ::eye roll::

zbeekner4 ;n8898936 said:
Completely agree on this. Sporadic or random noises in a downswing is never ok. I just meant to say the general noise when someone is lining up a putt or going through their pre shot routine, etc. and they stop everything to shush people ::eye roll::
USAF Ret in Wis ;n8898652 said:

The sudden changes is also what gets me the most. You can blare music when I address the ball and it won't bother me, but if a butterfly lands on my ball during the downswing, there is no telling where that ball will go. People can stand where they want when I am swinging, but don't clap or laugh during my downswing. If you do, a quick "sorry about that" then we are all good but don't turn the conversation around on me for being "uptight" when I ask you to stop. It is hard to say when it is a sporadic noise or general noise unless you are the one lining things up and it is bothering you. A few rounds back, I am lining up a putt and can hear someone telling a joke in the background. Normal talk doesn't get me, but I wanted to hear the punch line and it was a distraction.

I think that is the same for the pros. They can clearly execute in a loud and raucous environment like the PHX Open, but if they are swinging at Augusta and someone yells, it is poor form and messes them up.

Back