"Golf Eve," am I alone?

WMac19

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
The day before a scheduled or planned round, after 25+ years of playing, I still get excited as if a little kid.

Am I alone? LOL, should I just go ahead and seek the professional help that my wife so emphatically recommends? ?

I think the only cure for this is to play even more. At least 5 times a week then you'll get used to it :D

I usually only have time for 1 round a week, on Sunday morning. I don't usually sleep well Saturday, kinda restless and wishing the night would go by faster. You're not alone.

Nope, definitely not! I always look forward to my rounds :D.

Nope, not alone. I'm almost always like that the day before a round. Even worse the day before a THP event.

I'm the same way. I always look forward to doing anything golf related.

I think the only cure for this is to play even more. At least 5 times a week then you'll get used to it :D
Ya know, I may have to try that. The old, pfft... been there, done that attitude.

Then again, on the various golf trips I've been on 36 holes per random day was only enough once the body started cramping up and generally rebelling.

So I'll have to take "Enough Is Never Enough" for $100, Alex! ?

In case you haven't realized, it is yet another Golf Eve for me and I'm psyched. Little boy psyched... where's my radio-flyer red wagon?! ?

What's wrong with getting excited about something we like doing?

Hell yeah! Especially when I'm going to play a nice course!

I'll pack my bag with a smile on my face, make sure I have fresh balls, clean the sticks, prepare a lunch kit and put it in the fridge. I'll even sort out my clothing and put them in the laundry room, so I can dress myself straight away after getting out of the shower the next morning.

It's pretty much the same feeling I had the night before a hockey or soccer game when I was 12.

Terrible time sleeping night before a round. Usually up and at course way too early. My wife just shakes her head.

I'm absolutely the same way. I only get in maybe 20-25 rounds a year tops, so they're an event for me. I get the bag out and ready to go, double and triple checked, you name it.

The day before a scheduled or planned round, after 25+ years of playing, I still get excited as if a little kid.

Am I alone? LOL, should I just go ahead and seek the professional help that my wife so emphatically recommends? ��

Sounds like a perfect example of how special the game of golf is.

I 100% agree. I always get excited the night before I play. Especially when I haven't played in a little while.

Yep I'm pretty much excited about my next round as soon as I wrap up my last one. Especially this time of year with some new equipment testing and a few swing tweaks I'm trying to get down before League starts in a month.

Oh man do I remember when golf meant that much to me back in my 20's and 30's. I'd be so excited thinking about the next day I could hardly sleep, and I'd be at the course sometimes 2 hours before our regular tee time. Then, in the evening I'd go over every shot on every hole in my head just thinking about how much better I could have played and would play the next time. I played with the same guys every week and though none of us broke 80 very often we had fun.

Sadly, I don't experience that much anymore (though I still love the game). I think my love of the game faded due to one guy who joined our foresome fairly often over the years. He was a good golfer (former city champ), but his disregard of others and arrogance really took a lot of the joy out of the game for me. But he was friends with one of the other guys so I didn't say anything.

Anyway, hold on to that love for the game. Few things in life have made me as happy as when I'm on a golf course. Even if I shoot 100, it's still my favorite place to be. One of my goals the last couple of years has been to regain that simple joy. I think I am regaining some of it even if my scores seem to be going the other way right now. :)

When I first started playing in tournaments (around 10) I would go through my bag the night before top to bottom. I'd clean everything out and make sure I had no trash or any unnecessary things. I'd clean each club with a scrub brush, along with the grips. I'd put fresh tees in, balls, ball mark fixers, my favorite coin at the time, etc. I'd also lay out my outfit the night before. I remember thinking about the next morning when I would be wearing it and I would wish it was morning at that very instant. Sleep never came easy because the next day felt like Christmas on steroids. I'd always wake up before my alarm, but never my dad because somehow he was even more excited than me to watch.

The tee times were mostly 8am shotguns with anywhere from 20 min - 2 hour drives. Because I never slept well, most of the time I would dose off in the seat and awaken to my Dad pulling into a McDonald's for his morning 6-cream-6-sugar coffee.

The feeling of getting an official scorecard, the morning dew, the competition... some of the best memories with my Dad.

I need to get back to that excitement. I've been dull in recent years.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Every single time.
Tell the wife you just need to golf more to remedy this!

Am I alone? LOL, should I just go ahead and seek the professional help that my wife so emphatically recommends? ?

I think that I get as much enjoyment from being around folks like you than I do my own game.

I always look forward to playing a round!

No...you are not alone!

No sir! I still get really excited too. I just love this stupid pointless game too much!

I still get excited after 39 years of playing this game. I really love it when I know I'm going to be playing 36+ a day and/or 3 or more days in a row. A buddy was out for a short visit 10 days ago and we played 36 Friday, 45 Saturday and 27 in the rain on Sunday.

u r not alone. i'm not as bad as i once was. i notice it is worse if i have a morning round scheduled. i generally sleep well when the round is late morning or afternoon scheduled. i can say for sure, when my addiction was saltwater fishing, and we would catch bait before first light, with prep and anticipation, i never slept. thank goodness i found golf. lol

I always get excited. It really hits me during my drive to the course.

Every time.

Back