Golf Fads; The Good, The Bad & The Ugly...

War Eagle

the Beags of THP...
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Rum
Over the years there have been some crazy golf fads that I thought would be a flash in the pan, but have hung on and become the norm in the sport... see Rickie Fowler and the bright crazy colored clothes, which now seem to be more the norm among the sport vs khakis and solid color polos.

Each year we see something come along that's new that people love or hate. Flat brims hats, I hate them, but like it or not, they seem to be here to stay. Golf sandals, single length irons, etc etc. We see new stuff every year that some love and some hate...and some that are just downright ridiculous.

What are some of your all time favorite fads, some of the most hated, and some of the most ridiculous that you have seen?

Hightop Golf Shoes
Mock Turtle Necks

Hightop Golf Shoes
Mock Turtle Necks
I put Mock Turtle Necks right up with whatever Nike calls their new collar on their shirts.

The two things that I just can't get past it Hightop golf shoes and and the Nike no collar polos.

I put Mock Turtle Necks right up with whatever Nike calls their new collar on their shirts.

The new nike collars are way better than mock turtle necks.

Favorites - non traditional colored pants, high tops, hopefully compression pants

hated - golf sandals

Hightops and joggers to me is a fad.

Not a fan of that look.

Golf sandals. Really, hate looking at toes especially in wtbs section, but to play with them out? Not a fan at all of that either.

Tee keepers. Really another thing to put in the ground when I tee up so I don't have to lose a tee from the bag of 100 I got for $5.00. What do the cost a few penny's... I probably lose one every few rounds anyway.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

High tops I can live with, but Joggers - I think they look ridiculous.

Mock turtles were amazing... sadly I bought one. With my lack of neck it ended up being basically a full turtleneck.

I hope it is a fad, but the screaming Baba booey/mashed potatoes/get in the hole crap has stuck around for a while and it is so annoying.

Resurgence of the chipper is mind boggling.

High tops and joggers.

Favorite newer fad - hybrids and soft feel or supersoft golf balls
Least favorite fad - over-priced golf fashion clothing

golf sandals are awful.

Hightops and joggers

golf sandals wont catch on enough to qualify as a fad

Mock turtles were amazing... sadly I bought one. With my lack of neck it ended up being basically a full turtleneck.

I hope it is a fad, but the screaming Baba booey/mashed potatoes/get in the hole crap has stuck around for a while and it is so annoying.

I bet you rocked the mock like a boss

I bet you rocked the mock like a boss

Wore it like a sausage casing. Finally donated the damn thing when I moved a couple years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These are all in the most hated category for me:
1. golf tights
2. joggers
3. high tops

I plan on bringing sandals back. I may never play in shoes again.

I like joggers, hi tops, music on the course, compression pants, soft spikes, spikeless, custom stamping on clubs, different colors in driver heads and shafts, lightweight golf bags, data analytic golf devices (arccos), the 1/4 zip and BOA/DISC tech.

I am not a fan of: truvis balls, golf sandals, flat brim hats, jeans, cargo shorts, slow play (it's a fad) and iron head covers on the course, chippers, and two gloves.

Would the fat putter grip ala superstoke be a fad or is that permanent?

I am a huge fan of the bigger putter grips.

I am not a fan of: truvis balls, golf sandals, flat brim hats, jeans, cargo shorts, slow play (it's a fad) and iron head covers on the course, chippers, and two gloves.
I use Iron Glove iron covers and like the fact that they protect the irons from getting nicked up from clacking against the other irons in the bag. The sets of irons that I've sold always make for the first comment from the buyer is "Did you use these at all?" The only wear is on the sole and face of the irons. We use covers for the metal woods, right?

I use Iron Glove iron covers and like the fact that they protect the irons from getting nicked up from clacking against the other irons in the bag. The sets of irons that I've sold always make for the first comment from the buyer is "Did you use these at all?" The only wear is on the sole and face of the irons. We use covers for the metal woods, right?

To each their own brother to each their own.

I use mine for travel and take them off on the course but if it works for you I don't judge.

I like joggers, hi tops, music on the course, compression pants, soft spikes, spikeless, custom stamping on clubs, different colors in driver heads and shafts, lightweight golf bags, data analytic golf devices (arccos), the 1/4 zip and BOA/DISC tech.

My Iron Covers were called "Club Condoms" once - I use them when I travel and when my clubs in the car.
I don't like my clubs "Chattering" in my car #OCD

Definitely the mock turtle neck.....I had one, wore the thing all the time. It was black. I looked like a priest or something in it. Hideous!

High tops with joggers is the other one that I really hope is just a quick flash in the pan and goes away. Thing is though, I see all kinds of younger kids wearing stuff like that off the course. Joggers are the new craze apparently.

bad: super geeky golf sunglasses that look like they belong on Tour de France riders....

good: golf analytics for the everyman. Nothing beats being able to statistically confirm you suck. (said by a ShotByShot devotee)

Back