Dan McClellan

Reaction score
Handicap
Tiger Woods has said that when he joined the tour their were only two guys in the gym: he and Vijay Singh. Since then, the stereotypical PGA Tour golfer (the successful one, at least) has been an athlete with a trainer and everything. There was even a recent special on the Golf Channel about fitness on the PGA Tour. I'm curious what workouts, stretches, or other exercises you have found helpful to your game, and why.

I'll start with a little about me. I became an athlete of sorts after I quite playing golf after high school, and I've tried to stay in some manner of shape since then. Since trying to get back into the game, I've discovered I need to change my workout habits quite a bit in order to maximize the benefit to my game and minimize the harm. For instance, big arms and shoulders can reduce the range of motion of my golf swing, so I've stopped focusing on that. I have a stability ball (I started a thread about it last year), a stretching bar, workout bands, and am in need of a foam roller. I've found a number of sites that have very helpful tips on golf fitness, but probably the most helpful has been Titleist's Performance Institute. The exercises I've found most enjoyable and helpful have been those that emphasize balance and stability, a good shoulder rotation, and wrist health (my left wrist can get hurt easily). A good collection of exercises is found here. What are some of your favorite exercises or stretches? How do you improve your golf fitness?

Back