Golf focused workout routine

itg

Reaction score
I'm very interested if anyone has exercises that pertain to golf and improving muscle reflex and strength balance hand eye coordination and the like?

I have some resistance bands and weights at home and room to stretch. Curious if you guys have any routines that you do to improve golf muscles.

I'm very interested if anyone has exercises that pertain to golf and improving muscle reflex and strength balance hand eye coordination and the like?

I have some resistance bands and weights at home and room to stretch. Curious if you guys have any routines that you do to improve golf muscles.

Hasven't used these yet. But, this was suggested to me. They have several videos.

I just signed up for Fit For Golf again. I used it a few years ago and dropped it when I stopped going to the gym. I think I have enough stuff at home to do it again.

I also did GOLFFOREVER for a while but I kind of lost interest in that.

I’ve been doing Fit for Golf for 4 weeks now. I enjoy the program. Phase 1 which lasts 4 weeks was mainly flexibility based with some strength training mixed in. I start phase 2 this week and I haven’t yet peeked at it to see what is in store.

I feel like the program is working well though. I feel much more limber on the course and I can feel my core getting stronger as well. I do hope phase 2 focuses a bit more on strength training.

It’s like $12 a month and downloaded through the App Store. You can check into it here:

How it’ll work for golf? TBD. It can’t hurt once I learn to swing again. But I have a workout routine that keeps me interested and is helpful in all ways for strength and flexibility. It’s 3 pronged.

I basic weight train. If you played football in the 90’s these are the lifts you’d be doing and the type of sets. I work specific weights at reps to work to a max every 6-12 weeks. I lift more at 185# Body Weight or so than I did when I started at 290#… by a factor of 2+.

For cardio I train Muay Thai with a 100# heavy bag. I just basically beat the living heck out of it with all types of strikes until I’m sucking eggs, rinse and repeat. This will help coordination and core strength. You can work on more advanced strikes for coordination. A spinning backfist that lands is a beautiful thing. Although with Muay Thai it’s more a concentrated series of front elbows. Ehh? I can mess around some?

The big one for golf, BJJ. I’d recommend a 4-6 course in person so that you can learn a solid base in it, but from there you can work on it solo if you have a 12’12’ wrestling mat. What I knew I learned 20+ years ago. So I know a lot, but it’s challenging bringing it back. I don’t see why it wouldn’t be possible to do the same though with a few in person sessions to get a solid base. Anyways, I’ll learn a new (again) technique by watching someone well qualified demonstrate it. You Tube lots of the time. I’ll then work on it solo on a mat until I can do it both sides without having to think, it’s then just a fluid process.

It’s not though as I then go through all the moves I know, and once I’ve learned them that way I expect to be able to pull them off without thinking. Unless you’re a Gracie, you likely can’t. So it’s good not only for the flexibility (it is HUGE here), core strength, but also the mental acuity to pull off all the moves all the time. All of those correlate directly to golf.

I just signed up for Fit For Golf again. I used it a few years ago and dropped it when I stopped going to the gym. I think I have enough stuff at home to do it again.

I also did GOLFFOREVER for a while but I kind of lost interest in that.

Since I am at home with limited equipment (mostly resistance bands etc), the GOLFFOREVER program works very well for me. It can be a little cumbersome and slow at times. So, once I knew how to do the exercises, I was able to do two sets of reps during the work out (1 while they were teaching you and the second set during the actual routine). It helped me a lot.

Engineering keeps you fit ,and co ordination , you learn very fast using impact tools , hammers etc , not to miss.lol
Also good for core, l recall a conversation during a lesson , comment made to me , ‘ most people we have to get them to tighten up body / swing , with you we have to get you to loosen up swing ‘ lol

Depends on the individual , physically and the commitment and resources they have available as wel, as any pre existing issues and age. We can all improve to what degree will you accept as a achievable pass mark ?

IMO a lot of workouts don't fit all golfers. I am an older golfer and there are certain things I need to work on more. Golfers need to understand their areas of physical weakness. For instance sometimes my hands will get weak and I struggle to hold the club properly through my swing which would require grip strengthening exercises. My left arm gets weak too and leads to issues on the course. I must be falling apart :ROFLMAO:

I've been following https://linktr.ee/ando_pfs on IG and really like his workouts and implemented some in my workouts already.
He's a Golf Digest Best 50 Golf Fitness Trainer.
He's running a Cyber Monday sale (BF50%) on his 8 week workout program (Actually all of his programs) so I picked it up for $25. - Figured it was less than what I would pay for a dozen golf balls, so let's give it a try.

Since I am at home with limited equipment (mostly resistance bands etc), the GOLFFOREVER program works very well for me. It can be a little cumbersome and slow at times. So, once I knew how to do the exercises, I was able to do two sets of reps during the work out (1 while they were teaching you and the second set during the actual routine). It helped me a lot.

I got really bored with Golfforever. I felt it was slow. If you don't have a workout history it is great.

I am doing Fit For Golf at home with bands, some dumbells, bands and a few other things. It is much more self paced which I find better than the Golfforever workouts.

I got really bored with Golfforever. I felt it was slow. If you don't have a workout history it is great.

I am doing Fit For Golf at home with bands, some dumbells, bands and a few other things. It is much more self paced which I find better than the Golfforever workouts.

you are 100% correct!

IMO a lot of workouts don't fit all golfers. I am an older golfer and there are certain things I need to work on more. Golfers need to understand their areas of physical weakness. For instance sometimes my hands will get weak and I struggle to hold the club properly through my swing which would require grip strengthening exercises. My left arm gets weak too and leads to issues on the course. I must be falling apart :ROFLMAO:
Pull yourself together ! Lmao

I think many general strength programs would help you. For example if you do something that includes deadlifts that strengthens your core, back, glutes and your hands. Same thing if you hang from a bar (vs doing pullups). Doing rows on a machine or even using bands strengthen lats, hands and traps. Compound strength exercises are good for everyone.

I create my own workouts from searching for golf specific workouts and stretching. I focus on flexibility and core strength. I know some people may need a specific program to follow, but I don't see the need to spend money monthly for a program that I'm confident that I can create and follow on my own.

I have been using fit 4 golf for over a year, but took quite a while off during covid lockdowns because no gyms were open. I haven't seen incredible changes, but I have definitely seen improvement and have gone very slowly in terms of amping up volume/weight.

Highly recommend it and he has a lot of different options now to accomodate those who have no weights (bands/body weight routines).

I create my own workouts from searching for golf specific workouts and stretching. I focus on flexibility and core strength. I know some people may need a specific program to follow, but I don't see the need to spend money monthly for a program that I'm confident that I can create and follow on my own.

I could probably do that also but I do much better when I don't have to think about it. I can just come online and follow the directions. I know I tend to work much better when someone tells me what to do.

I could probably do that also but I do much better when I don't have to think about it. I can just come online and follow the directions. I know I tend to work much better when someone tells me what to do.

I can understand that. I created my own list of 25 exercises and stretches. I use resistance bands, medicine balls, dumbbells and a broomstick.

I have the TPI app. It gives me a routine based on my screening. After 6 months I re screen and works will change based on that

Reactions: itg
These are some of the exercises my Pilates instructor taught me. No equipment needed, just a mat

I used exercises specific for golf I’ve found on IG. There are plenty on there.You need to be careful in using medicine balls for throwing drills. I messed up my shoulders last holiday season tossing Ned balls at walls. A year later it’s still an issue. Don’t go to heavy and if you’re older, like me set realistic goals.

I feel kettlebells might be an ideal tool for golf fitness. There is a program called Simple and Sinister that might tick a lot of boxes. But there are tons of programs depending on age and experience.

I feel kettlebells might be an ideal tool for golf fitness. There is a program called Simple and Sinister that might tick a lot of boxes. But there are tons of programs depending on age and experience.

Thanks for the suggestion. Looks like Kettlebells can help my frozen shoulder, too.

i highly recommend Fix Your Body, Fix Your Golf swing. About 3 years ago I saw this guy on the Golf Channel with DJ and did not know where to start so gave this a try. Even though i'd been a serious weigh lifter for 40 years, it took me some time to figure out the mostly flexibility based moves. One needs a set of bands, a medicine ball, a crunch ball and a grip off an old club.

three years into this program what I can share now that I could not when i started- many of the exercises are meant to help train an aspect of the golf swing. So for example, many balance moves are performed. In the dead of winter, I feel I'm improving my strenght and flexibitly but also doing a mini-session at the range.

Time investment ~ 15 to 20 minutes every other day.

Back