Golf fundamentals book

Scorp

Lacking competent adult supervision
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I'm looking for a golf fundamentals book. It needs to be something modern... not something written by Tiger necessarily. It needs to be something that's easy to read. Something that a person with little knowledge of golf's history can use and easily understand. Something that's cheap. Something that uses modern concepts and doesn't reference gutta percha, niblicks, and spoons other than in passing... preferably something written after the Information Age and the invention of the Internet, that isn't full of hot air, pompous claims, and crap.

This may ruffle some feathers but that leaves out Jack Nicklaus, Arnold Palmer, Ben Hogan, Tommy Armour, and Harvey Penick.

It needs to be engaging and entertaining, not something that is less fun than reading the yellow pages or watching paint dry.

And cheap! Not $75. Not even $25. Cheap cheap. Cheap.

Suggestions?

Sorry to break your rule, but I just rebuilt my swing using Ben Hogan's 5 Rules. It's great IMO. The best modern stuff is not in a book, it's on YouTube. Go there if you want info from the last 20 years. You also won't find any teaching at all that doesn't mean on Hogan's principles at least a little.

Alright. I may cave some on Hogan... but still. I'm wanting something presented modern... that's not on youtube. That's for cat videos and trucks stuck in the mud.:ROFLMAO:

I'd spend a lot of time on YouTube learning about grip, stance, alignment, posture, etc... It's free, offers perfect visuals and you can stop/pause/save for reference while you are working on the concepts.

As you progress, YouTube has more content keep you improving too.

It's also going to be information for someone that doesn't have access to the internet so no youtube. That's why I asked about a book.:D

after a bad round. I was gifted this from a "funny" friend. I do not recommend.

1588786323717.png

There we go. Something from the hat lady.:ROFLMAO: Michelle McGann was known on the LPGA for her hats.

thanks!

and I checked and it looks like a local book store is actually open!:eek: I may get one tomorrow if I can

after a bad round. I was gifted this from a "funny" friend. I do not recommend.

View attachment 8941530
unfortunately while my local bookstore was open it had nothing in stock for fundamentals books.

I ordered the updated version of this book from Amazon. The reviews for this book were it was very basic... the updated version is a tad more advanced... according to reviews.

Nevermind..

Go to youtube.. haha.

I'm waiting for the updated version of the Complete Idiot's Guide to Golf. I'm going to let my son read it as he's interested in golf.

I was listening to Debbie Donager (SP?) a while back on tour radio and she mentioned something that I found interesting. It wasn't age differences (but it could be) it was whether you are a video gamer or non video gamer.

According to DD, those who are video gamers, learn well from statistics i.e. track man. After looking at the stats, and explaining the results, she can tell a gamer to change his angle of Attack (or whatever stat) by X degrees and he'll do it.

Non gamers-trackman stats don't help them as much. Teaching is more visual, physical.

I'm not a gamer-I lucked out. I met a teacher who recognized how I learn and explained what he wanted by physically changing my hand position or whatever he wanted me to do.

Me, I like the old timey stuff like pennick and hogan for grip, stance, basics. I like books or online that talks strategy. I like some of Peltz on short game. Reading and watching that stuff is practice to me.

We all learn and swing differently.

Last year and for this year my goal is to reduce doubles and triples, not get a birdie every 2 or 3 games.

I'm trying to play golf, not golf swing.

Understanding the Golf Swing, by Manual De La Torre (aka MDLT).

Sent from my moto g(7) supra using Tapatalk

Scorpion don't mean to ruffle your feathers but I wish to share a different view. Some of the original good writings about golf are better in regards to fundamentals then today's books. I don't know why but two theories. (1) these guys taught themselves, played and taught others. I think someone who was just taught by a pro starting at age 5 would be challenged to share much in common with what goes through an average golfers mind. (2) They did not have video so they could not get fascinated with details; they stayed with fundamentals.

For me, I feel I can only improve by understanding and executing the fundamentals. The best books I've seen for this is Hogans 5 fundamentals and Tommy Armours little yellow book and his tips book. The Armour book I consider as superior in communication and I reference it frequently. About 25years ago I played in a father/son tournament with my father at his workplace. The guy who put it on was a 1 handicap, self taught using only Armours book. I so wish I'd just got the book and took it as literal. Would have made me a better golfer then 60 or so hours of lessons I've had. Your mileage may vary.

I've bought a used copy of the armour book for all my playing partners. I say self help is only 10 steps away

Yeah, this book. (Golf for Dummies". It's about as fundamental as it gets. I have it, and can easily say it's an "easy" read.

It's also available on You Tube.
Golf for Dummies is a good read, and it was written by Gary McCord so it has some good stories and humor in it also.

Hogan’s 5 Fundamentals is not meant for everyone. It’s only for people who hit duck hooks.

I recommend Harvey Penick’s Little Red Book. Great stuff explained simply. For example, I still remember this tidbit from the part about chipping - pretend there is a coffee table between you and the green. Hit your ball under the table.

I got the book and handed it to my son. I told him to read it. He's already got a better understanding of the grip. And the photos in the book explaining alignment he understood better than mine at the driving range with alignment sticks. I've told him the same thing the book says but because he sees it in print it makes more sense to him... and is believable according to him.

Learning golf skills:
Understanding the Golf Swing, Manuel de la Torre
The Golf Handbook for Women, Vivien Saunders
Practical Golf, John Jacobs
How to Become a Complete Golfer, Jim Flick and Bob Toski

Playing the game:
The Elements of Scoring, Raymond Floyd

I got Golf For Dummies as a gag gift when I started golfing. It's actually a good book for basics. Easy read and and occasionally funny.

I got Golf For Dummies as a gag gift when I started golfing. It's actually a good book for basics. Easy read and and occasionally funny.
I agree, Gary McCord actually did a good job on that book. It covers a lot of ground - history, etiquette, terminology, basic skills, etc., all with some humor mixed in.

Thanks for the suggestions!

I was listening to Debbie Donager (SP?) a while back on tour radio and she mentioned something that I found interesting. It wasn't age differences (but it could be) it was whether you are a video gamer or non video gamer.

According to DD, those who are video gamers, learn well from statistics i.e. track man. After looking at the stats, and explaining the results, she can tell a gamer to change his angle of Attack (or whatever stat) by X degrees and he'll do it.

Non gamers-trackman stats don't help them as much. Teaching is more visual, physical.

I'm not a gamer-I lucked out. I met a teacher who recognized how I learn and explained what he wanted by physically changing my hand position or whatever he wanted me to do.

Me, I like the old timey stuff like pennick and hogan for grip, stance, basics. I like books or online that talks strategy. I like some of Peltz on short game. Reading and watching that stuff is practice to me.

We all learn and swing differently.

Last year and for this year my goal is to reduce doubles and triples, not get a birdie every 2 or 3 games.

I'm trying to play golf, not golf swing.
It's been a month since I posted. Been reading Hogan's power golf, again, and really concentrating on grip, stance, aim (Pennick) and turn. I regularly play a par 68 and so far have shot between a 78 and 90. With a front 9 par 9 hole. Its my most consistent start.

Back