Golf Galaxy Driver Fitting

I don't know many good fitters that use flex as a reason for changing out a shaft. Most of the guys I've watched would prefer to hide the change so that a swing doesn't alter due to perceived notions of flex.

I'm not a fan of Golf Galaxy for fittings either, but this fitter didn't use flex as the reason. He used the launch numbers. Outside of recommending a different head, the GG employees only options are a handful of stock shaft offerings so they don't have much to work with.

I guess I just don't get why someone would want to get a low level fitting.

Taking my locale as an example, I know a couple of the ranges here have demo days available every year, where people can go out and interact with a company rep with a bevy of shaft options. My course does much the same, so it's nice that I don't have to travel.

If someone wants to invest a bit, you can get a serious fitting from a multitude of companies and master level fitters. GolfTec, Miles of Golf, World of Golf, Etter's, Conquest... And of course Club Champion.

Taking my locale as an example, I know a couple of the ranges here have demo days available every year, where people can go out and interact with a company rep with a bevy of shaft options. My course does much the same, so it's nice that I don't have to travel.

If someone wants to invest a bit, you can get a serious fitting from a multitude of companies and master level fitters. GolfTec, Miles of Golf, World of Golf, Etter's, Conquest... And of course Club Champion.

I have heard horror story upon horror story about Golftec fittings. It is probably a local issue, as it probably is with any location. Including places like club champion. There are good fitters and bad.

And sometimes working with a local pro shop who has a fitting cart for a few OEMS, getting to hit those clubs on a range and taking a few different shafts/club combinations onto the course is way better than an indoor fitting.

My GG fitting experience is not a good one. As already mentioned it’s a stock shaft fitting for the most part. Maybe try a few different drivers but they tend to push certain models. I’ve actually been to a couple different places with poor fittings. CC is a drive for me, but when I am ready next time I’ll be making that drive.

I'm not a fan of Golf Galaxy for fittings either, but this fitter didn't use flex as the reason. He used the launch numbers. Outside of recommending a different head, the GG employees only options are a handful of stock shaft offerings so they don't have much to work with.
The only information provided in the video was that he switched from a stiff flex shaft to an extra stiff flex shaft and then clearly cherry picked a single swing to reference results improvements.

There was not a head change.
There was no reference to loft change or movable weight alteration.
There was no discussion on shaft length.
There was not an explanation on the shaft characteristics (considering there are a few stock options for TaylorMade).

Nothing about that fitting video gave me confidence to send a friend there to be fit, even if for free. In 2020, it was kind of a joke.

I have heard horror story upon horror story about Golftec fittings. It is probably a local issue, as it probably is with any location. Including places like club champion. There are good fitters and bad.
Yeah, I'll support that. GolfTec is very low on my list as well. Was more just referencing the vast amount of options here locally without making a Nationwide assumption.

The only information provided in the video was that he switched from a stiff flex shaft to an extra stiff flex shaft and then clearly cherry picked a single swing to reference results improvements.

Right, but you wrote that he used flex as the reason to make a change, when he used the launch numbers to push him toward a stiffer shaft (cherry picked or otherwise).

For the remainder of your concerns, he was already in a low launch, low spin head and needed lower of both. With GG’s limited options, that shaft was probably about the only thing left if this were a real fitting.

I don’t recommend getting fit at most big box stores, but given what they have at their disposal the video doesn’t reflect anything unreasonable in my opinion.

I know the GG nearest to me ALWAYS has someone getting "fitted" in one of the three bays. I've never even hit balls there. Probably good to know that they supposedly have a chart in the break room that shows how much kickback the guys get for each type of driver sold. Yes, I heard this from a very reputable guy who's been around the game for a very long time.
Unless its changed recently PGASS sales guys also are not commission based.

Golf Galaxy employees do get commission from all brands of current model clubs so there is no incentive/preference to push towards one brand. Once something goes on sale or the newest line comes out they dont get paid for it anymore..

PGA superstore employees don't get any commission at all

Right, but you wrote that he used flex as the reason to make a change, when he used the launch numbers to push him toward a stiffer shaft (cherry picked or otherwise).

For the remainder of your concerns, he was already in a low launch, low spin head and needed lower of both. With GG’s limited options, that shaft was probably about the only thing left if this were a real fitting.

I don’t recommend getting fit at most big box stores, but given what they have at their disposal the video doesn’t reflect anything unreasonable in my opinion.
To each their own. My response was to the video, not the actual fitting (which i would hope we saw very little of).

Yeah, I'll support that. GolfTec is very low on my list as well. Was more just referencing the vast amount of options here locally without making a Nationwide assumption.

Golftec is the MLM of the golf world.

I’ve gotten a fitting at Golftec and yeah, I wasn’t very impressed. None of the clubs I tried performed better than my 10+ year old hand-me-down Honmas from my dad. I think it was more me though, I just didn’t have a very good swing when I had the fitting done. I feel like a fitting doesn’t really benefit a player until they reach a certain level of proficiency.

As for lessons though, I can’t complain. Yes they’re expensive but they’ve gotten me from basically being unplayable to at least a skill level where I can enjoy a round of golf no matter how poorly I’m hitting

I also alternate between the Golf Galaxy near my house and the PGA Superstore near my work. I feel like the latter is much better at customer service from my experience

And here i am yet again reading this thinking...... "i have none of the mentioned stores anywhere near me" haha

for when the time comes i decide to get fitted, what IS a GOOD option for that? just demo days? Or do some stores have a better reputation?

Agreed this is laughable to calm this a fitting after seeing a CC fitting, but at least you'll get to hit it first. Has anyone used PGA superstore before? I'm planning on heading that way to hit some cobra clubs :cool::love: soon. I know the don't charge, but not sure how much flexibility they'll have with shafts.

And here i am yet again reading this thinking...... "i have none of the mentioned stores anywhere near me" haha

for when the time comes i decide to get fitted, what IS a GOOD option for that? just demo days? Or do some stores have a better reputation?
Club Champion or a similar brand agnostic, high capability fitter. Demo days are a poor substitute for a few reasons. At a demo day you meet a manufacturer rep. Typically, they'll have something like 2-3 different head designs and maybe a handful of different shafts. Compare that to over 10,000 head/shaft combinations at Club Champion. The manufacturer rep. typically has a lot of experience, but not necessarily a high level of expertise, and not a lot of time. They need to get to a lot of people.

Sure you can go down to the next bay where the next manufacturer rep. has his company's stuff. But he'll have the same limitations and the reps are unlikely to collaborate or share data.

That was a painful watch! I've had so many driver 'fittings' where they have just measured swing speed and then tried the stock stiff shaft. That's it, job done. My last Callaway fitting was somewhat of an eye opener as to how comprehensive it was, and I've got a Cobra one in a week or so's time which I know will be mind blowingly in-depth.

I’m assuming this video is not something current on their website because both the head and the approach is so old school.

Boy watching that video was like a 1970 made for TaylorMade mini-commercial. Nothing against TaylorMade but GG should be embarrassed publishing a video like that, it does more harm than good. Boy, was Shane ever enthused he gained 25 yds in a couple of swings!

I truly believe the everyday golfer is more “golf-smart” about fittings then in the past but this video is just embarrassing GG and insulting the everyday golfer.

If you are in or near Louisville, Kentucky go to Golf Headquarters. They have an excellent fitting program and they do not charge you if you buy the club from them. It's only $50 if you don't so it's a way better deal than Club Champion. I would not recommend Golf Galaxy in Louisville. The fitter there is a curmudgeon and grouch. His customer service is bad and he thinks new technology is just marketing mumbo jumbo. I would be amazed if you feel good about your purchase after buying from him.

Well after all this feedback, I've cancelled the fitting for now, if I have time and want to burn $30 maybe I'll still do it.

If you are in or near Louisville, Kentucky go to Golf Headquarters. They have an excellent fitting program and they do not charge you if you buy the club from them. It's only $50 if you don't so it's a way better deal than Club Champion. I would not recommend Golf Galaxy in Louisville. The fitter there is a curmudgeon and grouch. His customer service is bad and he thinks new technology is just marketing mumbo jumbo. I would be amazed if you feel good about your purchase after buying from him.

I love golf headquarters. Have frequented there for years, but not had a fitting.
I’m joining a new club this year, and thinking maybe I’ll need to head to golfq for a fitting with some mavrik irons later this year. :unsure:

Although never been to a GG for a fitting after reading all the horror stories on the Internet it was a no brainer for me. If those reviews are true, I can do a better driver fitting in my garage. What I can't do myself, I will go to a local pro or a CC.

Like most companies with more than a couple employees, you're going to find some studs and some duds. The Golf Galaxy in Milwaukee, WI has at least a few good dudes there that I would absolutely trust for a fitting. They also have a few people who wander the store and I'd want no part of having them "help" me. People on sites like this often do know more than the people wandering these stores.

That said, someone commented above that they don't know why someone would do such a low level fitting. One reason might be cost. Drivers are friggen expensive. And if I recall correctly, if you buy a driver from GG after getting fit you get most or all of your fitting cost back. I've heard a bunch of horror stories of Club Champion driver fittings where you spend $150-200 to get fit and then at the end of it you feel like you're almost forced to buy a $1000 driver ($500 head plus $400 shaft and other goodies).

I have to believe that with all the stock shafts that are offered, even at a place like GG, that one can get pretty darn close to a properly fit driver and not be in the $900-1200 range for 3 plus yards of distance and a yard or two of dispersion.

Might be worth it to either call ahead and ask who their best fitter is, or just go in and talk to some of the guys working there, and figure out who the best is. Between our knowledge from places like this (and youtube videos such as TXG) you should be able to get a properly fit driver for ~$500.

Our local GG has a fitter from one of the best courses around. I guess it's up to whoever they hire. Our guy here got tired of the politics of the club and is amazing. Old Ping rep.

Like most companies with more than a couple employees, you're going to find some studs and some duds. The Golf Galaxy in Milwaukee, WI has at least a few good dudes there that I would absolutely trust for a fitting. They also have a few people who wander the store and I'd want no part of having them "help" me. People on sites like this often do know more than the people wandering these stores.

That said, someone commented above that they don't know why someone would do such a low level fitting. One reason might be cost. Drivers are friggen expensive. And if I recall correctly, if you buy a driver from GG after getting fit you get most or all of your fitting cost back. I've heard a bunch of horror stories of Club Champion driver fittings where you spend $150-200 to get fit and then at the end of it you feel like you're almost forced to buy a $1000 driver ($500 head plus $400 shaft and other goodies).

I have to believe that with all the stock shafts that are offered, even at a place like GG, that one can get pretty darn close to a properly fit driver and not be in the $900-1200 range for 3 plus yards of distance and a yard or two of dispersion.

Might be worth it to either call ahead and ask who their best fitter is, or just go in and talk to some of the guys working there, and figure out who the best is. Between our knowledge from places like this (and youtube videos such as TXG) you should be able to get a properly fit driver for ~$500.

I've noticed on the Taylormade site, you can see when the TM reps are coming to a store/course near you doing free fittings. I'm sure most OEM do something similar. I'd trust them. I would NOT trust any of the sales reps on the floor though (at least in my 2 local golf stores).

No freaking way I will ever get fit at GG again. My first sign that I should have gone elsewhere is when the "fitter" had me get fit in the Taylor Made bay despite there being a fully stocked Callaway Performance Center fitting bay at the store. When I asked, he said, "it doesn't matter". The fitting was terrible - he did all the standard measurements, asked me what head I wanted to hit and then gave me the standard stiff shaft that came with the in-stock clubs. There was absolutely no fitting going on there.

EDIT - Just to clarify, I was there specifically looking at Callaway clubs. Also, the CPC had the high speed camera setup, the Taylor Made bay just had the older tech light bars that really only measure ball data.

Back