Golf game concentration

jmix18

I'm just happy to be here.
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I’m finding I’m having a hard time fully concentrating when out playing lately…. Like I’m almost not interested (😳). League is “meh”, match play tourney was “meh”…. And even playing with my normal group is “Meh” lately…. What gives?

when you’re in a funk - what have you done to get yourself out of it? This is not normal and my wife is getting “concerned.”

Any idea what has brought it on? Sometimes changing things up helps to taking a trip somewhere.

Change your style of play - play with 5 clubs, or take all your woods out, or play from forward tees to change the game. I have gotten into a funk if playing the same course over and over and it seems you hit the same shots every hole.

How long have you played?
When was the last time you took a break from golf?
Maybe you need a break?:confused2:

I’m finding I’m having a hard time fully concentrating when out playing lately…. Like I’m almost not interested (😳). League is “meh”, match play tourney was “meh”…. And even playing with my normal group is “Meh” lately…. What gives?

when you’re in a funk - what have you done to get yourself out of it? This is not normal and my wife is getting “concerned.”
Play for your mortgage. Set a realistic but challenging score goal. If you hit that goal you keep your mortgage. If you miss it, you send your mortgage to me. I'll send my Venmo deets in a p.m. (y)

Obviously something is in the back of your mind that you can't let go of. You should find something that will help you relax on the way to the course that will clear your mind.
I agree with the others though, it sounds like you need a break from the game so maybe take a two week break until you really feel like you want to play again.

Tell her that a new set of clubs never fails to bring the spark back into your game.

I’ve definitely before. It’s never resulted in me needing or wanting to step away from the game, but I did find an interesting method that worked for me. I was playing most of my rounds at the same course, so I built myself a hole by hole guide for the course. I just talked through where I wanted to be off the tee and the proper areas to hit to on the green with other notes about the holes and course. I actually put pen to paper and found that doing this made me want to get back out there and play through the thoughts I had written down.

You know what I think it is right now.... There is so much going on in my world at this moment that I can't step away from the 💩 even if I tried. While it's easy to say/do - even when on the course I can't/won't disconnect from things going on. just because if I do, then it's even more 💩 to deal with when I'm off the course. Since the pandemic started, there really has been no days off for me. That's an issue. I'm hoping that after the school year is out, I can just take a few days/weeks to recharge with the fam and my wife again. Wife has been/is always great about me getting out and playing. Maybe this vent session will assist and bring some zen into my world for a bit.

Thank you to all that have weighed in. THP is truly a special place.

Any idea what has brought it on? Sometimes changing things up helps to taking a trip somewhere.
No clue. just noticed it yesterday as things went south in a hurry after hole 4. did take a trip to Myrtle Beach with the bride a month ago - it was spectacular - we played 5 courses in 4 days - seriously the best vacay with her since our honeymoon .... and I disconnected from work the entire time. so maybe that's what it is... work.

Obviously something is in the back of your mind that you can't let go of. You should find something that will help you relax on the way to the course that will clear your mind.
I agree with the others though, it sounds like you need a break from the game so maybe take a two week break until you really feel like you want to play again.
I'd agree with you about the "back of mind" stuff. As a school admin right now - so much going on with the VID and quarantining and proms and graduations and expectations of communities and and and and... (breathe grasshopper)....

I'm hoping that once the year is done there will be some relaxation that comes around.

Heading to Omaha this weekend to watch my oldest play VB at national qualifiers - thinking that should be a good break and I'll report back next week.

I'd agree with you about the "back of mind" stuff. As a school admin right now - so much going on with the VID and quarantining and proms and graduations and expectations of communities and and and and... (breathe grasshopper)....

I'm hoping that once the year is done there will be some relaxation that comes around.

Heading to Omaha this weekend to watch my oldest play VB at national qualifiers - thinking that should be a good break and I'll report back next week.
Hopefully you can find some relaxation this weekend away from it all! We all need a break to get away from the daily grind, especially when the daily grind has been what it is the past year plus. Goodluck!

No clue. just noticed it yesterday as things went south in a hurry after hole 4. did take a trip to Myrtle Beach with the bride a month ago - it was spectacular - we played 5 courses in 4 days - seriously the best vacay with her since our honeymoon .... and I disconnected from work the entire time. so maybe that's what it is... work.
Could be that you are now spoiled since getting to enjoy such a great trip with your wife. Local golf just doesn’t match up. Or maybe you just need to ship me all your clubs and go out and buy new.

To be serious it could be that after such a great trip to some really nice courses the old local track doesn’t match up. Hope you kick the funk.

Helps me to take a break. Couple weeks or more. I start to miss it and it always seems to help.

As a school admin right now
Whoomp! There it is (sorry, couldn't resist a good Tag Team reference)

My parents' neighbor is the middle school principal in my hometown. He usually loves fishing and building furniture in his wood shop but he told us that lately all he wants to do is sit in a comfy chair and watch TV. Between all the teacher, student, and parents requests/opinions regarding pandemic and the constant school board meetings to discuss safety policy changes he's completely worn out and doesn't even want to do what he normally does to unwind. The balancing act of student/teacher safety while dealing with community expectations this year is more than he's ever had to deal with.

So, the good news is the school year is almost over. The other good news is it's only the first week of May so still plenty of time for golf this season even if you take a break.

Change your style of play - play with 5 clubs, or take all your woods out, or play from forward tees to change the game. I have gotten into a funk if playing the same course over and over and it seems you hit the same shots every hole.

I wholeheartedly agree with you about possibly getting into a funk. I think there is something about playing the same course with the same people that can have an effect on you. I think mixing it up can be beneficial.

Take a break for a week or 2.

Well, I've certainly had it happen. There were times a couple of years ago I just rode around with the guys during league. I cared so little for golf, but I'd still go out to just be out. At some point, it just sort of came back, and I cared enough to swing a club again. At the time, I just had zero motivation. No goals, golf was mediocre, thought about all I had accomplished in golf and just thought to myself, 'what is there left to do?'

One thing that does motivate me is going out there and just forgetting about everything else. The key to that is to just put the phone away. It's not worth looking at.

Also, the greatest thing I ever did was take email off my phone. No more work emails. Most clients don't have my cell number, so I don't have to worry about work calls.

Otherwise, I'd say just let it ride. It'll come back naturally.

~Rock

The key to that is to just put the phone away. It's not worth looking at.

~Rock

Isn't that the truth! Probably the answer to many of the world's issues too!

Maybe youre just not that into golf anymore. Maybe you just need to take a little break. I know that for me, since we bought our house and I got into woodworking and taking care of the yard, Im not quite as golf crazy as I once was. I still love golf but I also love take care of my yard and I love doing woodworking projects in my garage. Maybe youre going through something similar.

I'm going through the same thing right now.

It is in all areas of my life, but finally crept into golf. Probably stress in my case. Sounds like that could be your issue as well. You have a pretty tough job, dude.

Back