Golf game concentration

I don't have any earth shattering insight for you but a break may be worthwhile. I'm a rabid golfer, I think about it and live it vicariously through others on here. That being said I don't get to play all that often. Even in a good year I'm looking at maybe 15 rounds at best? If I was playing 3 or more times a week I think I'd still have that burning desire, but maybe I wouldn't. It's the allure of something I love combined with the scarcity of it that I think keeps the fire burning (even if my game also resembles a dumpster burning :LOL:) I hope whatever it is, you overcome it and get back to being fully in love with the game.

Maybe youre just not that into golf anymore. Maybe you just need to take a little break. I know that for me, since we bought our house and I got into woodworking and taking care of the yard, Im not quite as golf crazy as I once was. I still love golf but I also love take care of my yard and I love doing woodworking projects in my garage. Maybe youre going through something similar.
Still love the game. I think it’s just that I need to take a bit of time off. Heading to Omaha this weekend to watch my daughter play in a volleyball tournament. Should be a good break and then next week back to the process of continual improvement.

You know what I think it is right now.... There is so much going on in my world at this moment that I can't step away from the 💩 even if I tried. While it's easy to say/do - even when on the course I can't/won't disconnect from things going on. just because if I do, then it's even more 💩 to deal with when I'm off the course. Since the pandemic started, there really has been no days off for me. That's an issue. I'm hoping that after the school year is out, I can just take a few days/weeks to recharge with the fam and my wife again. Wife has been/is always great about me getting out and playing. Maybe this vent session will assist and bring some zen into my world for a bit.

Thank you to all that have weighed in. THP is truly a special place.

All seriousness here; no BS...

I deal with depression from time to time. The cycle usually lasts 3-4 days.

During that time, everything is meh. Work is meh, golf is meh, music (my other hobby) is meh, you could be handing me $100 bills and I'd be "meh."

At 44 years old, I've been living with this for a long time and recognize it for what it is. It's just what my brain does from time to time and the best way to get thru it (for me - not prescribing anything here) is to make sure I get out of bed, get my feet on the floor and go about my business. If I isolate, no bueno.

I'm fortunate that the depression I deal with isn't debilitating as it is for others. But I hear ya. I keep going to the course anyway as I know it's better for me to press on, be outdoors, get that sunshine, etc.

Not sure if that's helpful... best of luck.

Well, I've certainly had it happen. There were times a couple of years ago I just rode around with the guys during league. I cared so little for golf, but I'd still go out to just be out. At some point, it just sort of came back, and I cared enough to swing a club again. At the time, I just had zero motivation. No goals, golf was mediocre, thought about all I had accomplished in golf and just thought to myself, 'what is there left to do?'

I've done this as well... the guys will be at league or doing the Friday Afternoon 9 Holes and a 6 Pack, and I'll just come out and ride along, or even just walk, forecaddie and tend pins. There are days when actually playing the game is less appealing to me than just being outside with others.

One thing that does motivate me is going out there and just forgetting about everything else. The key to that is to just put the phone away. It's not worth looking at.

Also, the greatest thing I ever did was take email off my phone. No more work emails. Most clients don't have my cell number, so I don't have to worry about work calls.

Man I wish that was an option for me... working in IT, it's rare that I get to unplug. I do play Dawn Patrol rounds on Saturday and Sunday where the phone is off, but other than that I have to stay at least aware of what's up with our systems.

Man I wish that was an option for me... working in IT, it's rare that I get to unplug. I do play Dawn Patrol rounds on Saturday and Sunday where the phone is off, but other than that I have to stay at least aware of what's up with our systems.

My brother is in IT. While I'll never actually understand, I sort of understand your predicament. He's definitely a different person when we are all at our parents and he's on call that particular weekend. Seems like he's always just waiting for the phone call that something happened that requires him to open up his laptop and disappear for several hours.

~Rock

I’m finding I’m having a hard time fully concentrating when out playing lately…. Like I’m almost not interested (😳). League is “meh”, match play tourney was “meh”…. And even playing with my normal group is “Meh” lately…. What gives?

when you’re in a funk - what have you done to get yourself out of it? This is not normal and my wife is getting “concerned.”

1) set scoring goal (s)
2) have a pre-shot routine that includes relaxation-focus for the shot at hand

You know what I think it is right now.... There is so much going on in my world at this moment that I can't step away from the 💩 even if I tried. While it's easy to say/do - even when on the course I can't/won't disconnect from things going on. just because if I do, then it's even more 💩 to deal with when I'm off the course. Since the pandemic started, there really has been no days off for me. That's an issue. I'm hoping that after the school year is out, I can just take a few days/weeks to recharge with the fam and my wife again. Wife has been/is always great about me getting out and playing. Maybe this vent session will assist and bring some zen into my world for a bit.

Thank you to all that have weighed in. THP is truly a special place.
I hear you man, and hope that you find some time to get away with your family this summer. Even if you gotta chime in on the daily rant page, now and then, do it. Sometimes helps to at least keep the frustration from building up. I put in 6 days days a week at my business and haven't seen a vacation in 3 years, aside from getting Covid :oops:....

it's just a grind. I'm at the point where i don't even think about taking time off (which isn't good) and the rare holiday weekend feels like i've had a week off. Believe me, it isn't healthy for me, or my family, but the work has to get done. Hope you're able to manage the situation far better than I have. Good luck!

My brother is in IT. While I'll never actually understand, I sort of understand your predicament. He's definitely a different person when we are all at our parents and he's on call that particular weekend. Seems like he's always just waiting for the phone call that something happened that requires him to open up his laptop and disappear for several hours.

~Rock

Yeah, I mean, stuff has to REALLY hit the fan for me to end up involved these days, but I try to remain available if the team needs anything, if that makes sense.

Working off hours is par for the course (pun intended) in IT, since there are changes and stuff that we simply can't do while the users are live in the systems.

Staying tuned in is part of the price of sneaking out early for a Thursday afternoon 9.

When things are stressful for me at home or work, concentration and enjoyment take a dip. It is hard to disconnect sometimes.

The ability to disconnect is almost impossible with the cell phone.

Play for your mortgage. Set a realistic but challenging score goal. If you hit that goal you keep your mortgage. If you miss it, you send your mortgage to me. I'll send my Venmo deets in a p.m. (y)
You forgot to add “I’m a Nigerian prince and if you hit you goal send the payment so I have your Venmo info and I will send you back the amount to pay off your mortgage”.

Think about being at work. And the crappy part of your work. Then realize you’re on the course.

For me, working for the airlines, the time zones are a killer. So I’ll think about my 5th morning getting up somewhere between 1am to 3am on my body clock and how that feels working that day.

Then I’ll look around. Realize I’m golfing in the mountains and that the quad bogey I just got is still better than the feeling of being run over.

Works all the time 60% of the time.

You forgot to add “I’m a Nigerian prince and if you hit you goal send the payment so I have your Venmo info and I will send you back the amount to pay off your mortgage”.
I should have! I'm a shameless bastard. Gotta pay for that Texas trip somehow. 😈

Back