Golf Goals for 2018?

Rambler

Reaction score
Handicap
9.9, so 10
Too soon? :D Not for me, since the season is basically done in/around Chi-town, and my thoughts are moving towards what I want/need to do over the winter towards 2018 golf goals.

1. (The easiest one) Have fun! Play some rounds with my daughter. Play rounds with local THPers. Play rounds with THPers at unofficial gatherings. Maybe get lucky and get into another THP event or two during the season.
2. Continue with my current lesson plan through the off-season, and into the beginning of 2018 season.
3. Get to 8.5 index, or better, at least once during the 2018 season.
4. Stay in single digits from June 30 revision through end of 2018 season (giving myself some wiggle room at the start of the season).
5. (Might be the most difficult one) Get rid of most of my club stash and reduce the number of equipment changes I usually make during a season.

1) As many rounds with friends as possible.
2) Play a full mens league schedule and see where the chips fall
3) Continue improving as a coach
4) Sub 3 HCP
5) Play a bag that works the best for me, regardless of what brand(s) that may be

1) play equal or greater number of rounds to 2017.
2) build on my late season improvement.
3) sub 10 HDCP.
4) take a fly-away golfing trip.

Get my rheumatoid arthritis under controlled treatment and work on getting the swing speed back that it cost me this year. I wasn’t a long hitter to begin with but I want to get back to a respectable distance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My new Swing Coach and I sat down on Friday about 2018 and came up with the following:

Goals:
Swing 50 times a day on days of Super Swing exercises. 100 swings when he doesn't work out.
Drop 3 strokes off his game (HDCP)
30 putts per round average
100 yards and in wants to get better at.
Greens in regulation 5-6 per round
Overall getting better at second shot, short game, and putting
Added: Shoot in the 70's at least once.

Practice:
twice a week he would like lesson every two weeks
Prefer more lessons during the winter. During the season only when needed.

For me:

1) Play more with THP'ers whether official or unofficial events
2) Join a golf league (little too gun shy this year with where I started the year hcap wise)
3) Continue to improve all aspects of the game (like to see cap in the 10's but not setting a firm "2 stroke drop")
4) Continue practicing 2 times a week with a purpose
5) Keep it fun!

For me, 2017 was a successful year as far as improvement for me. I dropped my cap down about 4 points this year (sitting at 11.9 right now, started the year close to 16) and shot my first 70's round in 4 years. I also drastically improved my chipping and iron play this year, and have done a fairly nice job keeping the ball in play off the tee (most of the time). However, there are definitely still some glaring areas for improvement as well, in sand play (anyone who saw me at Dubsdread can confirm...) and putting in particular. So keeping that stuff in mind, my goals for 2018:

1) Topline, number one goal - get under 10. I'm really within striking distance at this point.
2) Wedge play (including greenside sand) needs to improve. I leave myself long putts (or miss the green entirely) from inside 100 yards far too often, and again...everyone is familiar with my sand woes (there has been some improvement this year, but nowhere near where I want to be yet). Consistent wedge play will drop at least a stroke off my cap on its own.
3) Better putting; in particular better speed from long distance when lagging, and less misses inside 5 feet. Both of these issues lead to stupid 3 putts, and turn good 1-putt chances into 2-putts for me.
4) No "tinker-y" changes to the bag. Only changes that address a specific need, with the goal of keeping equipment spending down and consistency up. I've never had a better bag for my game, so I ought to stick with it for a while.
5) Don't be so serious! I've done better at this recently, but I still get caught up in the score sometimes. Have fun on a nice day with (hopefully) a good group of folks.

1. Play more rounds.
2. Visit new to me courses.
3. Break 100.

1. Practice more
2. Play more new courses
3. Play more rounds with Norcal crew
4. Dial in my short game
5. Have fun
6. Renew Albatross Club - Done!!

1) As many rounds with friends as possible.
2) Play a full mens league schedule and see where the chips fall
3) Continue improving as a coach
4) Sub 3 HCP
5) Play a bag that works the best for me, regardless of what brand(s) that may be

My goal is to become consistent with driver, or mini-driver off the tee. I feel that if I do this, I will break 80 this year. I was not able to break 80 last year. I am very happy with my progress in golf these two years I've been playing now and other parts of my game are really good .....but it is poor and inconsistent performance off the tee that is keeping me from improving with scores.

I plan to find a new coach to help me with this, and continue to experiment myself. On my last range session, I experimented with letting my arms go a little bit further away from my body, and had good some good results with it.....but not as consistent as I feel I need to be. So, that's about it for me.

1) play more. i have not played as much this year as i would have liked.

2) play more with my oldest son.

3) get better. i would like to work with somebody who will take my game to the level i think it can go.

4) play with more thp'ers!

1. Shoot par on 9 holes
2. Get handicap to an 8
3. Make it to a THP event.

1) Get to a 0 or better handicap
2) Qualify for the Illinois Open
3) Win my league championship
4) Play golf with THPers in at least 2 other states
5) Learn to spin the ball out of a bunker

Swinging for the fences, eh? We're going to need to add a few courses to the rotation.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

The only thing I have planned is to play more golf with my daughters. By that I mean, make more of an effort to get them out on the course more and see if one of them takes to the game.

For me personally it's continue to get better and not worry about my handicap. Play golf for the fun and love of it, and not to grind out a score each time I am out.

1. 10 or lower handicap
2. Play in a THP Regional Rivalry - SEC
3. Improve GIR
4. Confident putter

The only thing I have planned is to play more golf with my daughters. By that I mean, make more of an effort to get them out on the course more and see if one of them takes to the game.

For me personally it's continue to get better and not worry about my handicap. Play golf for the fun and love of it, and not to grind out a score each time I am out.

I forgot to add this too. Lotte turning 3 means she will be out there with me all summer, or as much as she wants to. Probably start some "lessons" with our girls coach too, she's FANTASTIC with young kids.

Go low in tournaments.

Honestly nothing else matters.

Swinging for the fences, eh? We're going to need to add a few courses to the rotation.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Hey, it's amazing what hitting 275 yard drives in the fairway will do for ya

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Tell'em dhartmann34 - Going Big or Going Home!

Last edited:
1) continue to play frequently like I am now and always have fun (I'm far from good enough to get mad)
2) start playing MGA again
3) get handicap under 12 (been there before and know I'm not that far off)
4) do all of above and let chips fall where they may as it relates to opportunities/events, etc.

1. Always have fun
2. Play lots of rounds with the local THPers again.
3. Try to not let the HC go up past 8, but try to lower to 6.
4. Really want to get to another THP event. ( no events in 2017 for me.)
5. Try to play at least 2 new courses I haven't played.
6. Not change up the bag for the whole season. (Just bought new irons)

I'm joining a new club in June so my first goal will be to play at least 3 days per week and meet a bunch of new people. My secondary goal will be to win the senior club championship in August.

1) Improve my ball striking skills.
2) Continue to fall in love with the short game part of golf (the less # of duffed shots and three-putts, the better).
3) Go to a THP Event (preferably the Morgan Cup or Grandaddy!!).
4) Play a few rounds with my brother.
5) Play at least one round with all my friends from back home.

1- Defend my club championship title
2- Get a new personal best round

Putting is going to be a big factor in those, and I plan on working all winter at it.

Back